What did you do in the garden today?

Right now it's a strong Cat 4 about 5 mph from cat 5. It's not going to be pretty and the way its coming in, could push a huge storm surge with it as well. A LOT of flooding
I have always been amazed by intense weather...hurricanes, tornadoes and all the crazy in-between. This hurricane is impressive, the people of Puerto Rico are in a state of desperate emergency. I truly hope the folks in Florida hunker down and make it thru. I'm in north bama and we have been getting winds off the storm. It's definitely a blustery day.

I tried once not to blanch beans and they were very hard. not sure if those beans were hard anyway but I always blanch them.
I did the same thing as @karenerwin. I put them in the freezer without blanching and forgot about them. I really want to can some but I haven't gathered enough to do it. I have 5 new green bean plants that have been started several weeks ago. Hopefully I will get some to can before the frost sets in.

Right now it's a strong Cat 4 about 5 mph from cat 5. It's not going to be pretty and the way its coming in, could push a huge storm surge with it as well. A LOT of flooding
I've been thinking about ya.... Hope you all stay safe and your garden & home aren't too battered. Incidentally my oldest son's name is Ian so we've been harassing him about sending all the rain in the wrong direction. 😂

I have always been amazed by intense weather...hurricanes, tornadoes and all the crazy in-between. This hurricane is impressive, the people of Puerto Rico are in a state of desperate emergency. I truly hope the folks in Florida hunker down and make it thru. I'm in north bama and we have been getting winds off the storm. It's definitely a blustery day.
I've lived all over the US. I find it humorous that people in a region tend to minimize the extreme weather/events they are used to but view extreme weather/events in other regions as so terrifying that they don't understand why people live there.

For example...

People in the South think people who live in the North are bat$h*t crazy to put up with blizzards and subzero temperatures.

People in the North are terrified by tornados and hurricanes. The very weekend I moved to Arkansas we had freak storms that dumped over 5" of rain in less than an hour (triggering massive flash flooding) and there were something like 4 or 5 tornados that night. We had gone into town to get diapers and couldn't get home because the roads were washed out. I remember driving down the interstate to Little Rock to get a hotel room and there were visible tornados on both sides of the interstate. It was quite terrifying. Now I'm like... "meh... Tornados" and it hardly ever interrupts my routine.

I was at the World Series with my grandpa when the California earthquake hit in 1989. That was pretty terrifying too but most people in California pretty much roll with the punches. I have a lot of family out there. None of them are ever concerned about earthquakes but think I'm nuts to live in tornado alley. My response is "at least I can SEE a tornado coming before it gets here! You have no warning...."

I've lived all over the US. I find it humorous that people in a region tend to minimize the extreme weather/events they are used to but view extreme weather/events in other regions as so terrifying that they don't understand why people live there.

For example...

People in the South think people who live in the North are bat$h*t crazy to put up with blizzards and subzero temperatures.

People in the North are terrified by tornados and hurricanes. The very weekend I moved to Arkansas we had freak storms that dumped over 5" of rain in less than an hour (triggering massive flash flooding) and there were something like 4 or 5 tornados that night. We had gone into town to get diapers and couldn't get home because the roads were washed out. I remember driving down the interstate to Little Rock to get a hotel room and there were visible tornados on both sides of the interstate. It was quite terrifying. Now I'm like... "meh... Tornados" and it hardly ever interrupts my routine.

I was at the World Series with my grandpa when the California earthquake hit in 1989. That was pretty terrifying too but most people in California pretty much roll with the punches. I have a lot of family out there. None of them are ever concerned about earthquakes but think I'm nuts to live in tornado alley. My response is "at least I can SEE a tornado coming before it gets here! You have no warning...."
Hahah I'm with you! I've lived in blizzard territory and tornado alley but I will take weather like that over earthquakes any day! That 89 earthquake was a doozy! Honestly pretty cool you were at the world series for it. Very scary/cool story for certain.

Ive lived all over and been through earthquakes, blizzards, tornado's hurricanes even got hit by lightning once. oh and a sandstorm too. and a seiche. Yes you get used to them BUT when you HAVE went through a major hurricane you tend to have a LOT more respect for them. I went thru Andrew, I was in the keys when it hit, numerous ones here in Jax over the years, You see people on TV laughing like idiots bragging about the 'Hurricane Party' they are going to have. Obviously these fools have never been through a REAL hurricane with 150 mph winds, windows blowing in, pieces flying off the house, pieces of the roof starting to come off, and water up to your knees because the storm surge is coming in now too. Oh I'll just grab a beer and hop on the counter and sit up here until the flood goes away. Oh really? so tell me, what will you do when the walls start coming down around you, because the water washed them out and the roof, what's left of it, is now coming down on your head.... To steal a Richard Pryor line, How Long Can You Tread Water?? Oh and those horizontal flying coconuts coming at you at 120 MPH hurt like a $^%$ ##$$er when they hit you too !

I may decide not to leave when it gets bad but I know darned sure well, where I decide to stay will be able to survive it. Before you go and decide to beat the odds, you best make darned sure you can survive the odds beating you

Aaron

I reseeded my fall carrots again. None of them grew from the first seeding. I think it was just too hot & dry.
I need to do this too, the ones I planted in August (it was a shady spot that got well watered) did nothing either. It's cooling off now and we are starting to get a little light rain here and there. Time to try again.
We r dipping into low 40s at night now!
Tomatoes had just started finally ripening...but is this too cold? Should I just pick em and bring em in?
I pick some that are at least the "white" green color, and everything that has any yellow or orange at all. They all go on my ripening table with light dish towels. I should put an apple under there to make more ethylene gas to speed the ripening.
This is not looking good for SW Florida right about now.
Please stay safe Aaron.
We have something called rain drizzle.
I hear you Penny, I'll take the day long drizzle and the mild summers and winters.

I've got a bucket of ripe tomatoes to add to some frozen ones for canning as sauce later today. Yesterday I made 7 pints of garlic and rosemary pickled cherry tomatoes, now I have to wait to find out if they are any good. I hate waiting!

Hi all :frow I think I’m about 100 pages behind!

I watered this morning and realized things are really growing with the cooler temps. The Arabian lilac is huge and bushy, the weight of all the lemons on that tree are making the branches touch the ground and the two Vitex are about three feet tall already. We’re still cleaning up from that one storm, mostly just shredding small branches and stuff. I’ve been busy helping my mom get ready to move so haven’t done much in the garden other than maintain the best I can. Mom closes Oct 12 so we’re almost done, thank goodness!

Gotta split, the kid is done at the dentist. Take care all!

Back
Top Bottom