What did you do in the garden today?

I seen some pictures of down there already, my parents lived in cape coral basically right where this thing hit. They have passed now but I still know a lot of their friends neighbors etc, and seeing their old house, up to the roof under water, and knowing so many other people's homes down there, are now....gone....it just makes me sick. Then I KNEW them .. of COURSE I DID, they were my parents, and i know they would not have evacuated when ordered to, they would have ridden it out... and died this time... this isn't a good night for me seeing all this unfold.
We've been watching the news, I really hope people in the direct path didn't try to ride it out. The thought gives me cold chills.
btw, I got my next year's seeds. millet, amaranth and quinoa are new to me. :fl
We eat a lot of quinoa in what amounts to a pasta salad but without the pasta. :)
I love amaranth ❤️. I want to try the seeds next year...I've always saved them but haven't tried eating them before. Are you growing it for the seeds, greens or both?
I bought Amaranth seeds but never got around to planting them. I need to make sure I do it next spring! I bought it to create a supplemental feed plot with oats, millet, spring wheat, and more....
Amaranth is supposed to be even higher in iron and protein than quinoa. It looks expensive to buy, if we had more land I'd consider planting some.

We actually got some rain last night so no watering for a change! I made a shopping trip yesterday and paid too much for peaches for preserves but it's still worth it. Also got some small mild peppers to add to my own for pickling peppers. I think my time to pick the rest of my peppers is running out so I guess I'll have to pick most of them green and can them that way. Still, all things considered, I did get more peppers from this years crop than I expected.

So far, the storm has not quite made it to me, it's still down south and hasn't really taken its turn yet. I missed the worst part, but still have a possibility of wind and rain, at the slow speed it's going this might not happen until later tonight or even tomorrow at this point. Whatever it decides to do, I'll be spared most of it's fury... this time.

The people down south though, Im sick. Seeing Cape Coral, essentially destroyed like that, and the damage, and knowing there are people dead, still stuck w/o any way to get to them yet.

THIS RIGHT HERE is the stuff people need to see though. Far too often you see people thinking Hurricanes are just a joke, a reason to party. The idiots did the same crap when Katrina hit, so NO it's not a black thing, it's not a white thing, it's not an R or D thing, it's people being stupid. When you have a storm thats a major 4, trying to be a 5 barreling down at you, you need to leave. Oh you got lucky last 2 storms. Well this time, those people's luck ran out, and a lot are going to die for it. Yes, Flooding IS a thing to be worried about, THAT is why they make you insure against it, however Life insurance does not / will not save your life, it just pays the people left behind when your clown ass gets called to the carpet for the poor decision you made to ride out and have a hurricane party during a major storm.

Aaron

Ok on blizzards and snowstorms . Everybody runs to the store and buys milk , eggs and bread . They plan to live on French toast or what ? The worst blizzard we had it took 2 days to open the roads . I always have 2 days of groceries . Grew up buying once a week . When Dad got paid he paid bills and they bought groceries for the week . Now people go to the store every day it seems . I even noticed at the cabin the same people go to town morning , noon and evening . Not much open in that small town . Are they buying for each meal ? Ok rant over .

Ok on blizzards and snowstorms . Everybody runs to the store and buys milk , eggs and bread . They plan to live on French toast or what ? The worst blizzard we had it took 2 days to open the roads . I always have 2 days of groceries . Grew up buying once a week . When Dad got paid he paid bills and they bought groceries for the week . Now people go to the store every day it seems . I even noticed at the cabin the same people go to town morning , noon and evening . Not much open in that small town . Are they buying for each meal ? Ok rant over .
Well in the South, a few inches of snow may keep you locked down for a week... 😂

But I totally get your point! 😉

So far, the storm has not quite made it to me, it's still down south and hasn't really taken its turn yet. I missed the worst part, but still have a possibility of wind and rain, at the slow speed it's going this might not happen until later tonight or even tomorrow at this point. Whatever it decides to do, I'll be spared most of it's fury... this time.

The people down south though, Im sick. Seeing Cape Coral, essentially destroyed like that, and the damage, and knowing there are people dead, still stuck w/o any way to get to them yet.

THIS RIGHT HERE is the stuff people need to see though. Far too often you see people thinking Hurricanes are just a joke, a reason to party. The idiots did the same crap when Katrina hit, so NO it's not a black thing, it's not a white thing, it's not an R or D thing, it's people being stupid. When you have a storm thats a major 4, trying to be a 5 barreling down at you, you need to leave. Oh you got lucky last 2 storms. Well this time, those people's luck ran out, and a lot are going to die for it. Yes, Flooding IS a thing to be worried about, THAT is why they make you insure against it, however Life insurance does not / will not save your life, it just pays the people left behind when your clown ass gets called to the carpet for the poor decision you made to ride out and have a hurricane party during a major storm.

Aaron
I worked in emergency response for nearly a decade. I used to help with fireboat training every year which involved all kinds of swift water rescue and flooding type situations. It is a very serious and dangerous matter. Not like swimming in the lake or river. You don't know what dangers lie in the water like toxic chemicals, bacteria, animals, power lines, etc. I've seen people cut themselves on debris in the water and then die from sepsis due to contamination of the wound from bacteria in the water. Very serious stuff...

Not much gardening going on. I think the okra is finally done. Can’t complain over a pound in the freezer. Still holding off on picking the kale and chard. I checked the carrots and turnips this morning and they are actually developing bulbs. The greens are fantastic. The carrots don’t seem to be doing all that great. My daisies are finally developing blossoms. Yay! As for weather, I’ve lived all over the US except for deserts. I don’t do deserts at all. Lived in tornado alley for a long time and I really prefer a hardy Nor’easter. I’ve been through quite a few hurricanes, the worst was Hugo and I went to the gulf coast twice to help with the Katrina recovery. I’ll take snow over that.

Yep, their newer lids in the green box. He bought them during COVID when lids weren't very available so he bought a case of them when he found them. I wonder what the lids I bought were, there is no name on them but they said made in the USA (who knows if that's actually true). They are much thicker than Ball, gold & don't have a little dink in the middle, just about the whole lid sucks in they DONK when they seal instead of tink! LOL
One of the fun bits of canning is listening for the DOINK!!!! How can they take that away?!?!

Back
Top Bottom