What did you do in the garden today?

Ok on blizzards and snowstorms . Everybody runs to the store and buys milk , eggs and bread . They plan to live on French toast or what ? The worst blizzard we had it took 2 days to open the roads . I always have 2 days of groceries . Grew up buying once a week . When Dad got paid he paid bills and they bought groceries for the week . Now people go to the store every day it seems . I even noticed at the cabin the same people go to town morning , noon and evening . Not much open in that small town . Are they buying for each meal ? Ok rant over .
Ya, I don't get that either. Although I COULD live on French toast. I go to market once a week, if that, depending on the sale. If sales aren't good, then I wait and work through the pantry. I do grab fresh milk once a week, as some stuff just doesn't hold well anymore.
Yes, I swear some people in the city go to the market every other day. I can't stand being in there, so.....

I go shopping once a week, planned. If I go another time, it's on the way home from somewhere else. This week I went my usual time, but they were out of one thing, and DH texted me too late to get something else. So I got both on a trip to get chicken feed and grit. TSC has been out of grit for weeks now, except chick grit.

The place I go for feed isn't open on my usual shopping day, so I knew I needed to plan another trip.

I like to plan around what's on hand. "Shop from the pantry," as one person said. The garden is going to be a BIG help with that this year! :thumbsup

Sorry, my phone won't let me combine posts into one.
Woke up on the edge of allergy headache, did chore and dragged myself into town for my heap of allergy shots. That made matters worse.
Ran errands to get the boy moving boxes spend an hour at Home depot chatting with people and the paint rep.
Grabbed lunch and frozen custard before the hangries had me going bonkers on the tractor supply people which was my next stop.
Whole staff was new! got to chatting with the district manager that was there for the day and she offered to sell me all the open bags of stall pellets and pine shavings for half price. DEAL! Headache is worse now as my truck is full of full on allergins. AND I forgot while I was chatting away in TSC that my custard was sunbathing in the cupholder. SIGH.
Grocery and then home to insane animals and unloading it all.
ANyway, TSC manager told me that during chick days, they carry COFFEE GRINDS in large brown bags 40/50 pounds at a go for CHEAP. I have NEVER noticed them! They use a layer in the chick bins under the shavings to help with odor.
I am SO getting some next spring!

I go shopping when I need to. and try to go only like once a month if i can help it. I hate dealing with those places and all the obnoxious.... never mind...... Load up the fridge and freezer with stuff and im good. The milk and stuff I don't drink too much but it stays well in my fridge, which I keep at right about 34 degrees. Bread, if I need ill make my own. Ok yes I cheat, I have one of those old sunbeam bread machines, throw the basic ingredients in and two hours later ill have bread. I like it a lot better than the chemical tasting crap from the store that can go MONTHS and NOT MOLD ??? wtf did you put in there that I am eating to make it not mold anymore????

Aaron

Oh, pleeeeeeze post a recipe! I'm GF, and I do miss pasta salad!
No problem: https://cookieandkate.com/best-quinoa-salad-recipe/ and they include instructions on how to cook quinoa. I use their salad recipe as a starter then change out the assorted ingredients of the salad but I use the dressing recipe without any changes. Anything you'd use in your favorite pasta salad goes really well in the quinoa salad. I go nuts, shallots, marinated veg, precooked kale, minced salami, crumbled feta, and even dried cherries, raisins, or cranberries.

Cheating in that, I dont flop and plop and pretend I know what I am doing, raise it and knead it by hand and then put it in the oven at XX degrees. I'll let the machine do all that FOR me. But oh man have Icome up with some recipies over the years!
I used to bake bread in high school, regular, white; knead, shape, bake... It was delicious!

The stuff I make for DH in the bread machine gets very high marks, and it's just regular ol' white bread too. I can't eat it, as I'm GF. My GF bread in the bread machine is pretty decent. I have a few "change it up and try this" ideas to experiment with.

Back
Top Bottom