What did you do in the garden today?

Man I'm behind on here!
No rain in sight still so guess I better water.
Pumpkins are all doing what the squash and zucchini has done all summer...nothing but male flowers. Had 2 females and a critter ate one growing lil Pumpkin and I think the only remaining one is done growing as it hasn't changed size in a week. So had to have been the small ones.
I'm really tempted to pull the vines up today cuz the entire area under the deck is covered with vines and male flowers intertwining in hardware cloth 🤔!
That's gonna hurt getting out...may just let it compost in then it'll plop out on its own lol!

raised bed question:
are any of yall planting a cover crop in your raised bed to aid the soil til spring?

Last edited:
I might see if some clover will grow or not, but that's the only cover crop I have on hand.

About sourdough starter... Mine is actually living in the fridge. This works for me, may not work for all. My go-to recipe is a sourdough discard biscuit recipe that I make once or twice a week. If I want to make a loaf I take the sourdough out and feed it the night before, leave it on the counter to do it's thing, and the next day get that loaf going. Then feed it, pop it back in the fridge till I need it again in a couple of days. I keep it in mason jars with the hard plastic, gray lids. Fingertip-tight, then loosen a quarter turn. Allows gas exchange.

My EWO are coming up! Yay! Today going to get out, harvest more okra, and finally pull the watermelons. Might have enough lettuce for a salad too!

Man I'm behind on here!
No rain in sight still so guess I better water.
Pumpkins are all doing what the squash and zucchini has done all summer...nothing but male flowers. Had 2 females and a critter ate one growing lil Pumpkin and I think the only remaining one is done growing as it hasn't changed size in a week. So had to have been the small ones.
I'm really tempted to pull the vines up today cuz the entire area under the deck is covered with vines and male flowers intertwining in hardware cloth 🤔!
That's gonna hurt getting out...may just let it compost in then it'll plop out on its own lol!

raised bed question:
are any of yall planting a cover crop in your raised bed to aid the soil til spring?
We have in the past. Best luck with winter peas. We once planted a grass type cover crop - and that was a mistake- super hard to break up the root may in the spring in a raised bed. Easier when it’s sun open bed.

Sweet potatoes. Some are definitely not liking the cold nights (no actual frost yet).
Based on the forecast, we will dig the rest up Wed/Thursday.
23D414B7-56A8-4C8D-9CD2-B8CE06A7BC55.jpeg

The ones we harvested about 9-10 days ago have been curing inside the “tent” in the upper level of the barn. Heater set to keep temps around 85, and a bowl of water on top of the heater to add some humidity. It has worked!! The small nicks in the skins have healed. The sweet potato I cooked up yesterday was nice and sweet!

Back
Top Bottom