What did you do in the garden today?

I've been scattered this morning. So much to do today. I started watering the garden. Got a third of the way through. Stopped to go wake up DS so he doesn't miss his exam today. He never hears his alarm and is prone to oversleeping. Then I decided to feed animals before finishing the garden. We were gone all weekend so DS was taking care of them. Found a hen hanging upside down in the chicken coop. She had a string tangled around her foot which caught on something. She was still alive but I have no clue how long she's been upside down. I have her in the infirmary crate but she isn't eating, drinking, or standing. Not sure she will make it... Now I have work stuff to do so no time to finish the garden right now.... Ugh. I need an assistant. 😂

did you give some sugar water to your hen? I hope she will make it.

did you give some sugar water to your hen? I hope she will make it.
I gave her some water with Nutri-Drench. She's still alive right now but still not moving or drinking. If she doesn't at least try to drink shortly then I will use an eyedropper to get something in her. She is one of the hens I wanted to butcher so I'm not too upset if she doesn't make it but I certainly don't want her to suffer.

Got the rest of the garden watered. I also collected some tomatoes and green beans along with a small handful of fall raspberries.

I think I'd mentioned that the purple broccoli outgrew it's row cover (without actually producing any broccoli) and I was forced to uncover it. It became infested with Harlequin bugs and cabbage loopers. Instead of pulling it all out, I pruned it completely down to the main stalk. Took away all the debris... And heavily treated the area with BT and Neem insecticidal soap. Hoping to see if it regrows....

I would be laughing hysterically while trying to reach up and grab all the high ones off the tree without having to climb.:gig
I had that happen once with some concord grapes. They grew WAY up into the tree tops. It took a ladder and some monkeying from limb to limb to get any grapes... 😳 Won't make that mistake again.

So prob wouldn't do any good to just put in garage that isn't heated...
DH will just have to buy more next year.
We have these orangey bronze colored ones and they have been stunning all spring, summer and still! Now they are showing dark red areas I'm guessing where night temps are dropping.
What colors do you have?
I have the trailing type wedding train , rose something and a green and white . The last 2 I added this year . Trailing types are often hard to find . That is why I save them .

We got a bit of frost here. I decided I was done with the cherry tomatoes and pulled them up. They still have loads of green 'maters on them, but I just want them out of there now. Man, did they sprawl!

I have a couple of asparagus plants that are in bad locations. I want to move them, but they need to go dormant first. I pre-dug their new holes so that I don't have to dig through frost, if they hang on that long.

I'm going to clean off the last of the potatoes and put them in the basement for storage. These are the Elbas. Big, round-ish, white, and my best producer. I keep the damaged ones that I nick with the shovel/pitchfork separate so that I use them up first. I think I'll cook a big pan of them tonight in the oven.

I might get a couple more habanero peppers, but other than that, the garden is done for the year. Now it's cleanup and feed the soil for next year.

But I can plant some greens (kale? spinach?) in the green house and still play in the dirt. :)

Back
Top Bottom