What did you do in the garden today?

👍
Well I brought about half of them inside and left about half outside. So I guess I’ll be able to see if it makes a difference.
Yeah, I'm curious. Don't know if I just don't have problems because I'm in a milder climate or what... The frost will kill the vine and immature fruit but I haven't had any issues with it ruining my matured fruit which is curing. I let mine stay outside because it seems to turn brown and dry faster. I have less problems with molding. Peeling and cleaning after they have turned brown is sooooo much easier, IMHO.

Nada. The frost is coming tomorrow night.
I need to water the mums.

Adding cheese squash to next year. If the SVB leave them alone here, anyone can grow them. LOL.

DH startled away with his alarm this morning, which scared me, and has had me in anxiety mode all day. Trying to distract myself with coursework.

HVac guy did fall/winter tune up and check this morning, so it's is officially fall here.

Can you elaborate on how yours were harmed by the frost? I've always let my loofah fruits turn brown on the vine. This makes the shell brittle and paper thin. Super easy to remove... Frost can and will kill the vine/plant but I've never had it actually ruin curing fruit... I'm curious for more details on what you experienced...
Mine usually do turn on the vine but this is the second time they started late and they haven’t even started to cure and last time I got rot spots from freeze and thaw.
6DD8F5FD-0CBB-480C-A3BD-BCCF6F5A9335.jpeg

They’re still at this stage, still fleshy

Adding cheese squash to next year. If the SVB leave them alone here, anyone can grow them. LOL.

DH startled away with his alarm this morning, which scared me, and has had me in anxiety mode all day. Trying to distract myself with coursework.

HVac guy did fall/winter tune up and check this morning, so it's is officially fall here.
They are in the Moschata group along with butternut and Dickinson pumpkin . SVB leave that group alone . Passed a couple of canning factory Dickinson pumpkin fields today . I should of taken pics . All in that group have butternut type flavor .

Wow! It's so crazy that there is frost coming already!

Mine usually do turn on the vine but this is the second time they started late and they haven’t even started to cure and last time I got rot spots from freeze and thaw. View attachment 3281724
They’re still at this stage, still fleshy

I would cut it and bring it inside to dry if you're expecting a freeze. It's more likely to finish drying that way.

Yeah, I'm curious. Don't know if I just don't have problems because I'm in a milder climate or what... The frost will kill the vine and immature fruit but I haven't had any issues with it ruining my matured fruit which is curing. I let mine stay outside because it seems to turn brown and dry faster. I have less problems with molding. Peeling and cleaning after they have turned brown is sooooo much easier, IMHO.

I leave mine outside too but we have longer seasons here so the loofah/luffa usually has time to start drying before a freeze comes through. If there is still a lot of water in there it's more likely to turn to mush because ice crystals expand and damage the cellular structure (something along those lines, lol). It's not guaranteed that it will work but it's more likely to survive than outside if it's not starting to dry already.

My rhubarb didn't do well this year, I didn't feed them enough I'm sure. But last year they went nuts and I froze about 16 pounds, I gave away half of that and just made jam out of the rest. I used 8 cups of sugar instead of the 12 cups the recipe called for (double batch) and mixed low sugar and regular pectin. I like the taste (not too sweet) and I've got my fingers crossed that it sets up.

Back
Top Bottom