What did you do in the garden today?

Sweet potatoes are all harvested!

1. Harder to harvest than regular potatoes - vines everywhere and some spread quite far.
2. Early season varieties did best.

3. Black plastic is a must for our zone- the ones in full sun, but no plastic produced small to tiny tuberous roots, plus they took a lot longer to vine out. The ones under BP did much, much better.

4. Curing worked pretty well with a heater, bowl of water, and a plastic tent in the barn loft- an late season use for the portable greenhouses!

So, the ones cured for 2 weeks are in storage. Largest ones out for baking this weekend as we will do a cookout with some friends.

View attachment 3282267Is this the same plant you are talking about ( even if the colors are different). I believe that it is. I planted mine late. Threw a whole packet of seeds into the one pot. They didn’t flower until the end of September. Even then it was just 2 stems. But if I can over winter them that would be great!
No that is coreopsis that you have . It is a perennial wildflower . Coleius is a tender annual foliage plant . I will see if I can find a pic .
th.jpeg

You guys have any links for a good feed bucket that will hold a 50 lb bag? I have a feeling once the cold hit the mice are going to find a way into my garage…
I've used metal trash cans with lids, same cans have lasted me decades. I keep mine inside the chicken coop & pigeon loft.

We do have a bakery locally so I may ask
I bet they get stuff in buckets too. And delis, if nobody else mentioned them.

The place I get them hangs onto them for "awhile" (she told me), and if nobody wants them, they go to recycle.
You guys have any links for a good feed bucket that will hold a 50 lb bag? I have a feeling once the cold hit the mice are going to find a way into my garage
I got a metal can with a lid at TSC. It was in the chicken/other livestock area, and the guy knew exactly what I meant when I asked.

I just use a metal trash can outside all year, no mice troubles yet.

I keep all my animal feed in 33 gallon metal trash cans with lids. Mice and rats can chew through plastic and rubber ones.

We use feed buckets. They aren't cheap, but going on 10 years old and look brand new. We have 8 of them. Gamma vittles vaults. Hold whole bags of sunflower, chicken feed, alfalfa pellets whatever. Keeps mice and ants out.

I've used metal trash cans with lids, same cans have lasted me decades. I keep mine inside the chicken coop & pigeon loft.

I got a metal can with a lid at TSC. It was in the chicken/other livestock area, and the guy knew exactly what I meant when I asked.

Thanks everyone! Time to go shopping!

Checked on the garden today and found an okra pod and two tomatoes that were turning white. The turnips are developing bulbs, yay! Finally made a batch of Concord grape jam. I canned 8 half pints. I only got enough grapes to do one batch this year. All I have left to can is salsa verde. When that’s done I’m finished canning for the season. We are enjoying two sunny days in the 70’s then back to seasonal temps. Still no frost, which is fine with me. Once the canning is finished I can start cleaning up the garden beds that are not active. Nice harvest on the sweet potatoes @Acre4Me. The mini vegetables I picked when we Were expecting frost got cooked into a vegetable masala last night. Mini acorn squash and bell peppers. Very tasty addition along with carrots, potatoes and tomatoes from the garden. Time to start dreaming of next years plantings. Oh, nearly forgot, my daisies are finally blooming. Yay!

Back
Top Bottom