What did you do in the garden today?

I just ordered a few packets of seeds from True Leaf for microgreens and also for cat grass (wheat grass) as a present for my CCL (crazy cat lady) next door neighbor. We went to the Farmer's Market Saturday and microgreens was one of the few things she bought so she'll be happy when I split these up for a Christmas present when they come in. I'll print out my microgreen cheat sheet from On the Grow (YT channel, microgreens growers) for her too.

I need to till up some area too. I dont have a tiller but I have a fence post digger that's a friggin animal, and you can easily renneck that to be my Polock Garden Grinder :D. Ive done stupider things with other more dangerous tools that worked in the past sooo.... besides I do believe I promised ya'all a video of the thing subbing for a tiller so I need to make that. :)

I also need to take a good hard look into the bees to make sure they are doing well for the winter, one last spray if I need for mites and possibly set up the feeders for them but so far, the spanish needle and some other stuff is still chuggin along cause it's not been hard frost yet.. It's so nice out, almost the 80s and I got so much stuff to do OUT,but I also have so much stuff Ive been neglecting that I have to do IN side as well.

Does anyone have any teenagers they are tired of their crap? I'll rent them from you for a few weeks. You get R and R, I whip their asses, put them to work and straighten their attitudes out for you, and they get my garden ready for spring time. a win win whine situation :D

Aaron

Rainy day here. We got over an inch of rain. We really need all we can get since we’re still in a drought. Indoor work today. Cleaned the pellet stove and put the ashes on one of my apple trees. I plan on doing the same on the other apple tree as well as my peach tree. I suspect my soil is a little too much acidic. The ashes have been great on my peach tree so I’m hoping to have good luck with them on the apple trees. Fingers crossed.

Two seed orders placed!!!

Baker Creek and Territorial seeds.

Baker creek has decent prices and we had good luck with the seeds last year.

Territorial is pricier, so I buy what I can’t find elsewhere. However, good selections, great germination, so we keep them in the rotation.

I’ll peruse Burpee and Seed Savers today, probably order some seeds.

Kid has the day off from school, and we have two Gingerbread kits staring at us, so some gingerbread domicile construction and decoration is on the schedule for today as well.
I just placed 2 orders with Baker Creek. All flowers... My employer reimburses me for them so I couldn't resist... I really am running out of space to put new plants though... I still have 4 tree saplings, 1 raspberry, and 1 thornless blackberry to plant SOMEWHERE. 😳

Rainy day here. We got over an inch of rain. We really need all we can get since we’re still in a drought. Indoor work today. Cleaned the pellet stove and put the ashes on one of my apple trees. I plan on doing the same on the other apple tree as well as my peach tree. I suspect my soil is a little too much acidic. The ashes have been great on my peach tree so I’m hoping to have good luck with them on the apple trees. Fingers crossed.
So your apple and peach trees like wood ash?
Hmm Im going to have to try this. I burn pallets often too so there is the iron from the nails too. This might work for me.

Aaron

I caved!

Yup, ordered two types of potatoes. I said I would wait and buy them from the local farm store, but I ordered two less typical ones: Purple Viking (purple skin/bright white interior), and Yellow Finn (more yellow than Yukon Gold). I'll still buy another at the farm store - likely a red skin/waxy potato type.

Ordered more seeds, as well. Do I need them? No. But, Will I use them? Yes!

Found Wintergreen plants, and bought them for spring delivery. Hopefully from a reliable source as I've never used this source before.

A flyer came in the mail from Territorial seeds. They now offer the Marshall Strawberry for sale - iconic from the NW. I believe @pennyJo1960 mentioned them earlier this season, as she grows them in her yard. Anyway, there is a bit of a story on the Marshall Strawberry on Territorial website, if anyone is interested.
I grew Marshall strawberries last 2 years until the blight killed them off this year. They were pretty good. I would like to order more for the barrels I'm putting together.

I've lost count of how many days it's rained. My pond has FINALLY refilled from the summer drought. The ducks are loving it.

It's supposed to be sunny on Friday and then another 5 days of rain or whatever. I'm hoping to put out some old shredded alfalfa on my garden beds and some fresh compost. I'll let all of it compost over the winter and feed the soil.

The only thing that's alive right now is the fava bean cover crop. I need to harvest up the yacon too. Hoping the rhizomes made it through the freeze we had a few weeks ago. I didn't have time to pull them out beforehand. 🙏🤞

Back
Top Bottom