What did you do in the garden today?

Hi all. My head was pounding so I’m up for a bit, it’s a little past 0100 here. A few mornings ago I noticed one of the girls missing, but had to work so didn’t have time to find her. Later that day she was out and about and looked fine/ate but was growly with everyone. The next two nights it was well after sundown when I locked up and she wasn’t going into the coop to roost, but was present every morning. I couldn’t figure out where she was going, if she was sick or what. None of that of course, she’s broody and there’s a nest full of eggs under some brush in the old compost pile. The SS was hidden so well in there we couldn’t see her, but I caught a glimpse when I found an egg. So we’re getting eggs, I just need to hunt for them now. Wish I’d known that before I bought some from the store!

my chickens ate some mice/rat poison and nothing happen. they also ate poisoned mice and rats. the vet says that sort poison is dangerous only for animals with fur. of course it is better if they do not eat it.
your vet sounds like an idiot then if he is going to say its safe w/o even knowing what poison was used.

Some of them are something simple like water and bread mix, to foam up in their stomach and kill them. ok, that one may not harm a bird, Others use poisons that are EXTREMELY lethal to rats /mice / and birds. Fireant poison is deadly to them as well. some of them specifically say make sure you hide it (shove it completely into the ground so none is sticking out) so that birds can NOT see it and eat it, like the ones that look like gummy worms.

For all practical purposes, poison is just that, and should never be assumed to be safe for anything, just because it was not targeted to them. Even what one may consider 'normal foods' can be lethal to some birds. Garlic comes to mind.

Aaron

o we’re getting eggs, I just need to hunt for them now. Wish I’d known that before I bought some from the store!
Mine were hiding some eggs too, I found them, put the birds back into thecoop for a few days, only to find that they stopped laying, ALL of them, so makes me wonderr, how long those hidden eggs had been hidden for. Might want to do the one by one method of opening them up!

Aaron

Mine were hiding some eggs too, I found them, put the birds back into thecoop for a few days, only to find that they stopped laying, ALL of them, so makes me wonderr, how long those hidden eggs had been hidden for. Might want to do the one by one method of opening them up!

Aaron
I always do that anyway, in summer here the temps can be warm enough to incubate eggs without a broody if hidden and found later. Usually in those cases I just toss though. I did find two eggs in the nest box though, those I brought inside

Good afternoon all. I actually sat down and worked on my garden plan for this coming Spring this morning. That was after making bread dough and sipping coffee. I’ll hold off until January before ordering any seeds. Sunny and dry today but a little chilly. We may get a little snow overnight on Sunday. I need to gas up the snowblower and start it up to make sure all is well.

seed savers exchange catalog just arrived to try to temp me into a garden next year
laundry done
I finished a wool cap today and managed to get it felted and on its way towards drying.
Made gingerbread in the insta pot
changed light bulbs in the driveway lamps
put the knitting away for a while in its containers in the closet
eggs hardboiled
animals are cared for
work reports are in
230 and I feel like I've done nothing. LOL

I got a catalog from Baker Creek today. Threw it in the recycle bin before I could even look at it. Checked on the recent transplants out front. The lilac looks good and the mesquite still looks ok too :yesss: I have six creeping rosemary plants to put in and protect this weekend. I need to build some cages which will require a trip to Home Depot for some material to do that.

Back
Top Bottom