What did you do in the garden today?

Tonight I'm in the baking up a flock block for the chickens (in the oven now). It occurred to me afterwards that I should have added some of my extra seeds that I don't want or need. For example, I have an entire package of iceberg lettuce that has never sprouted anything each time I've tried it... I could have thrown those in. Some old sunflower seeds too.... Maybe some others if I dig through my garden drawer.
How do you make your flock block?

How do you make your flock block?
I have a recipe but I didn't use it this time only because there were certain ingredients that I didn't feel like trekking through the cold to go dig up. So instead I did some substitutions... I also decided to chuck some random things in just for the heck of it. This is generally what I did:

Ingredients:

1 cup - rolled oats
1 cup - mix of layer pellets & steam-rolled oats
1/2 cup - Flock raiser crumble
1/2 cup - Manna Pro Harvest Delight Poultry Treat
1/2 cup - Farmer's Helper Ultra Kibble for chicks
1 cup - cornmeal
1 cup - blackstrap molasses
3/4 cup - olive oil
4 eggs with crushed shells
1 cup - whole cranberries (thawed)

Basically I mixed everything together in a bowl, split into greased pans, and baked at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

Came out very nicely and smells pretty good actually. I can post the actual, original recipe later... It uses oats, chicken scratch, wheat germ, cornmeal, eggs, and raisins, I believe....

I can post the actual, original recipe later... It uses oats, chicken scratch, wheat germ, cornmeal, eggs, and raisins,
Yes please! But... That sounds like it smells delicious... How do you deal with the jealousy of the other household members when you tell them it is "chickens only" ... My spouse already complains I spoil them more than I spoil him ;)

Yes please! But... That sounds like it smells delicious... How do you deal with the jealousy of the other household members when you tell them it is "chickens only" ... My spouse already complains I spoil them more than I spoil him ;)
Ha! Funny you should mention it.... My daughter came out from her bedroom and thought I was baking cookies! 😂 She was a bit disappointed...

This is a link to the original recipe:

https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2013/10/diy-flock-block.html

Tonight I'm in the baking up a flock block for the chickens (in the oven now). It occurred to me afterwards that I should have added some of my extra seeds that I don't want or need. For example, I have an entire package of iceberg lettuce that has never sprouted anything each time I've tried it... I could have thrown those in. Some old sunflower seeds too.... Maybe some others if I dig through my garden drawer.
I usually take any seeds that are low germination and throw ALL of them (of same kind) in a single pot. I got Tomato seeds as old as 2004 to get a few plants that way and a bumper crop from those plants over last 2 years when I didn't buy alot of seeds.

Of course I'd never give chickens Tomato seeds (i know they eat them in fresh tomato)... but lettuce seed yes!

Last edited:
I saw the Dumor/Producer's Pride also being mentioned on The Gateway Pundit. Not sure if I agree with their theory but it's obvious that more and more people are noticing the change.
I've not gone so far as to ascribe a motive... I hate making assumptions when reasons could be completely innocent and still have far-reaching consequences.

I should have added some of my extra seeds that I don't want or need. For example, I have an entire package of iceberg lettuce that has never sprouted
I throw those seeds into the run, when they sprout the hens gobble them up. I use a part of the run they have destroyed, but I keep them out of that area for a week/10 days to give the seeds a chance. If they don't sprout they get eaten. I don't have quantities that are dangerous to them

Same for scratch seeds they mixed poo into, I soak it to melt the poo, then put it on in an area the scratch can sprout. Feels like recycling... the little plantlets don't live long though... Sometimes it feels cruel to the seeds... Born under a bad sign... Never stood a chance

I throw those seeds into the run, when they sprout the hens gobble them up. I use a part of the run they have destroyed, but I keep them out of that area for a week/10 days to give the seeds a chance. If they don't sprout they get eaten. I don't have quantities that are dangerous to them

Same for scratch seeds they mixed poo into, I soak it to melt the poo, then put it on in an area the scratch can sprout. Feels like recycling... the little plantlets don't live long though... Sometimes it feels cruel to the seeds... Born under a bad sign... Never stood a chance
I've tried that! Well, I specifically mean that I've INTENDED to keep them out of a portion of the run for a period of time to allow seeds to sprout. Didn't work. They just fly over the fence or the goats end up knocking the temporary posts over. I've given up trying... So instead I throw most of my old seeds out in the compost area. I figured whatever the birds don't eat, the tree rats will.... And if anything grows up by chance, then the goats or horses will probably eat it anyway.... 😂

I've not gone so far as to ascribe a motive... I hate making assumptions when reasons could be completely innocent and still have far-reaching consequences.

It will be interesting to see how TSC responds. This concern (and subsequent conspiracy theory claims) have now gone viral on several other sites. Mike Adams (Health Ranger Report) is having the feed tested at his accredited lab to see what the ingredient analysis comes up with and if that matches what they are advertising. Should be interesting....

Back
Top Bottom