What did you do in the garden today?

I "WILL" :gigmaster turnips this year
We prefer the smaller, white “salad” turnips. We eat them raw or sometimes cooked. Although we’ve grown the normal purple tops too. We have better luck sowing in spring, a shorter season type, then in later July - avoiding the really hot part of the summer. Try sowing in succession too, like you would for a radish- that way you have them at the just-right size for a longer period. They can handle some shade too,

We prefer the smaller, white “salad” turnips. We eat them raw or sometimes cooked. Although we’ve grown the normal purple tops too. We have better luck sowing in spring, a shorter season type, then in later July - avoiding the really hot part of the summer. Try sowing in succession too, like you would for a radish- that way you have them at the just-right size for a longer period. They can handle some shade too,
yes, if you remember ? 2 years ago you and I were planting the same ones from territorial

I’m feeling a lot better, therefore I’m getting a little jealous of y’all starting stuff. With that, all my lettuce has sprouted! I’m thinking I might be able to get DH to stick some bean seeds in the ground next to the trellis so I can at least have some fresh green beans this year. They don’t require any work really & I don’t have to bend to pick them. :celebrate

Unseasonably warm here still, the ground hasn’t even frozen, its crazy. But the bottom is supposed to drop out next week.

I’m feeling a lot better, therefore I’m getting a little jealous of y’all starting stuff. With that, all my lettuce has sprouted! I’m thinking I might be able to get DH to stick some bean seeds in the ground next to the trellis so I can at least have some fresh green beans this year. They don’t require any work really & I don’t have to bend to pick them. :celebrate

Unseasonably warm here still, the ground hasn’t even frozen, its crazy. But the bottom is supposed to drop out next week.
Yay, so happy you’re feeling better Sueby! I hope your hubs will plant the beans for you, I totally understand that itch to get some plants going.

Do you have one those grabber things? I got one for hubs after his surgery and he’s still using it. Especially on days when he’s sore or achey.

Yay, so happy you’re feeling better Sueby! I hope your hubs will plant the beans for you, I totally understand that itch to get some plants going.

Do you have one those grabber things? I got one for hubs after his surgery and he’s still using it. Especially on days when he’s sore or achey.
I have 1 in every room. 😂 I have to use them for everything, its getting old. I cannot wait to be able to put my pants on like a normal person. Lol. I am def getting frustrated now because I feel good but am still just as limited as I was when I was in pain.

Last edited:
Temps not too bad here for the next 10 days forecast. It will drop into low teens early week, but otherwise not too bad.

Garlic- hope it’s happy, we didn’t do too much to it, maybe added compost on top, so hopefully it survived the cold blast and storm before Christmas. It got really low, but I don’t know enough about garlic to know how tolerant they are.

We have a tomcat visiting recently, spraying stuff that he thinks is his turf. And yowling in the night. Might have to trap it. Will a Hav-a-hart trap that works for raccoons work for cats? I’ll assume so, but any other suggestions welcome. Our one female barn cat is fixed, and has been since age 6 months, so she’s not attracting it bc she’s able to get pregnant, and she spends very little time outside in the winter, so her scent can’t be very strong right now - at least not like in spring thru fall.

Back
Top Bottom