What did you do in the garden today?

Anyone ever grown cauliflower in a 5 gal bucket? When I did my garden layout, I only ended up with a small plot (2 ft x 3 ft) for cauliflower. This didn't seem like a big deal because I'm not a huge fan of cauliflower but DH loves it. I have some seeds for a Durgesh 41 white cauliflower. I figured I could squeeze one or two plants in that spot and call it done. Then on Friday I found a "lost packet" of purple cauliflower from 2021, maybe? I never got these to grow because I started them too late in the season and it got too hot so I want to try again, but since I don't have room in the ground I'm going to try them in buckets instead.

Anyone ever grown cauliflower in a 5 gal bucket? When I did my garden layout, I only ended up with a small plot (2 ft x 3 ft) for cauliflower. This didn't seem like a big deal because I'm not a huge fan of cauliflower but DH loves it. I have some seeds for a Durgesh 41 white cauliflower. I figured I could squeeze one or two plants in that spot and call it done. Then on Friday I found a "lost packet" of purple cauliflower from 2021, maybe? I never got these to grow because I started them too late in the season and it got too hot so I want to try again, but since I don't have room in the ground I'm going to try them in buckets instead.
Found this: https://www.gardeningchannel.com/can-cauliflower-be-grown-in-pots/#:~:text=As long as you have,for a single cauliflower plant.

Good morning gardeners. I spent the better part of my afternoon yesterday watching hydroponic videos on YouTube. And watering plants of course. I found some really good ideas for self watering some of the in ground stuff, can’t wait to try those out! I may put one over near the Arabian lilac outside the wall too, water runs off that area, and mulch and anything that ends up there. It may already be dead, we shall see. The chickens have been in the shade garden a lot, I’m positive they’re finding bugs and likely plenty of weed seeds. They’ve stripped leaves from the weeds as high as they can reach and there are a few craters in there. All of the green stuff on the floor is gone though, including this low growing thing that kept coming back. I am going to let them spend as much time in there this summer as they want, and in theory there won’t be any weeds or bugs in there by fall. I love having chickens for this reason alone, the eggs are a bonus really. They are such good helpers! Anyway, have to run to the store this morning, then get to work with chores. Have a great day all!

Good morning gardeners. The arctic blast is over, thank goodness. Back to more normal temps. It was a balmy 22F when I fed and watered the chickens this morning. I gave them warm water and a warm mash of their chicken pellets outside the run. I cleaned the coop and put down a nice layer of fresh shavings. It's a little breezy now but hopefully the wind will subside this afternoon so they can have more outside time in the sun and the low 40 degree temperatures. With all that drama behind me I can turn my attention to gardening again. The additional hoops I ordered will be delivered tomorrow. The local stores are bringing out their seeds and gardening supplies. I'm considering trying broccoli again now that I have more hoop frames and bug netting. As soon as I can get a shovel in the ground I want to warm up the dirt and get the onions going as early as possible. That and other early vegetables like peas and the Pak Choi. I'm also excited to see how my first attempt at garlic is doing. The greenhouse looks amazing @BReeder! Good job. Can't wait to see it in operation. Have a great day all and stay warm.

It was a balmy 34 this morning! And it is the FIFTH DAY IN A ROW with sunshine!!!!

The caps/shouting/exclamation points are all well deserved here. We've now had more hours of sunshine in the month of February than the entire month of January.

Clouding over, but it's still "cloudy bright" outside between breaks in the clouds. I am so ready for spring. But the fruit trees aren't, so I hope they don't wake up too early.

@CNJ I've never heard of using garlic like that! Would the beans end up with a garlicky flavor?
I was wondering the same thing, but I can't taste any garlic in the beans. I have been using it on my Celebrity tomato plants and I don't see aphids or white flies on it, but there is this green flying insect that makes a ring around the young shoots that I need to spray with a mild neem oil and soap solution whenever I see the ring. However, I don't have to spray the whole plant just the tips.

I am doing an experiment with Wonbok, I have one growing in a quart mason jar. What usually happens to my Wonbok in my area is it gets infested with aphids and a tiny black bug. I am not sure if the garlic juice will affect or rot the roots in my Kratky hydroponic jar.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom