What did you do in the garden today?

What was it like getting them out? Were you scared? The dentist doesn’t bother me but that thought does! What was it like? Then what happened? Did you get dentures? What is that like?
Sorry so many questions! And kinda personal too. You don’t have to answer. But I don’t know anyone like you to ask.
I was put under all said and done 3500. said a done. Okay took forever and like 6 years to get a denture that actually fit.

I had some tomato seeds planted in my small dome starter with a peat mix on 1/28. A couple of days latter, I planted more seeds of different varieties with rock wool cubes and the rock wool seeds sprouted 5 days latter, so I took them outside. I was wondering if I did anything wrong with the seeds planted in the peat mix. I kept checking them daily and nothing happened. I was feeling disappointed because the packet of my Princess Yum Yum seeds only came with 10 seeds, so I placed an order for 2 more packets with some other seeds I wanted to try.

Mean while, I was watching a video on seed starting by the person who created the Brad's Atomic Grape and he said some seeds sprout in 4 to 5 days and others may take up to 14 day. Today, I checked on my seeds planted on 1/28 and they sprouted on the 12th day. I was thinking they were duds, but they weren't.

What an experience...........I not only ordered more seeds, I threw some out before the 14 day time frame. :he

Last edited:
Still resistant the urge to start seeds... it really is an urge though!

Snow melted yesterday with the sun out. Today was mostly cloud with the sun poking out just for a bit that I noticed. I was in my office most of the day though anyway. 10 day weather forecast shows mostly 40s with a 2 or 3 days in the 30s. Supposedly we should expect to be in the 50s on the 15th and 16th, that will be nice.

Back to seed starting (or my waiting to start), anybody have an idea for a larger biodegradable pot (6" pot size or so) that I could use to start melons indoors and then plant directly in the ground outside without disturbing roots? I don't want to spend a bunch of money for them and they seem to get pricey at that size. I also worry about water causing them to weaken and the bottoms falling out when I go to move them or the sides splitting open.
Well, since this is a chicken forum... I saw once that people used egg shells to plant seeds in. Then just planted them right into the ground. And it’s easy to just break off if you wanted to. But it’s free! I have not tried this yet.

Back to seed starting (or my waiting to start), anybody have an idea for a larger biodegradable pot (6" pot size or so) that I could use to start melons indoors and then plant directly in the ground outside without disturbing roots? I don't want to spend a bunch of money for them and they seem to get pricey at that size. I also worry about water causing them to weaken and the bottoms falling out when I go to move them or the sides splitting open.
My pots aren't biodegradable, but they are reusable. Here's what I do, in case I haven't posted it here before. (I think I have...?)

Collect plastic containers like quart yogurt/sour cream containers. Save the tops too, and put some small holes in it, but not too close to the edge, so you don't weaken the plastic too much. Cut the bottom off and put the top back on. Turn it over so the top is the bottom.

Now you have a pot. Fill with your potting medium, plant seeds, water, give them sunlight, encouragement, music, happy thoughts.

When it comes time to transplant them into the garden, dig your hole, add any amendments you like. Take the bottom (top of the container) off, set the pot in the hole, and gently slide it up over the plant. The slope on the side of the container really helps with this.

Because the pots are decent sized, you can start your plants earlier and not need to up pot them. I've been doing this for several years. I ask friends to save me their containers, so I've gotten them for free. You do need a fair amount of potting soil, so it helps to make your own if you can.

My pots aren't biodegradable, but they are reusable. Here's what I do, in case I haven't posted it here before. (I think I have...?)

Collect plastic containers like quart yogurt/sour cream containers. Save the tops too, and put some small holes in it, but not too close to the edge, so you don't weaken the plastic too much. Cut the bottom off and put the top back on. Turn it over so the top is the bottom.

Now you have a pot. Fill with your potting medium, plant seeds, water, give them sunlight, encouragement, music, happy thoughts.

When it comes time to transplant them into the garden, dig your hole, add any amendments you like. Take the bottom (top of the container) off, set the pot in the hole, and gently slide it up over the plant. The slope on the side of the container really helps with this.

Because the pots are decent sized, you can start your plants earlier and not need to up pot them. I've been doing this for several years. I ask friends to save me their containers, so I've gotten them for free. You do need a fair amount of potting soil, so it helps to make your own if you can.
What do you use in your home made potting soil?

What do you use in your home made potting soil?
I start out with peat. Mix in about an equal amount of compost, some* perlite and/or vermiculite, and a sprinkle of fertilizer. Some wood ashes if you have them. Bone meal if you have that.

*Some = about a quart(?) dry measure in about 4 cubic feet of potting soil. I know that's not very accurate. It helps to lighten the soil up, which I need, because my compost is fairly heavy stuff.
I haven't tested my soil :oops: so I don't know if I should add or omit any of this stuff. Peat is acidic, so I figure the ashes help to neutralize some of that.

I bought a big bag of both perlite and vermiculite about 8 years ago, when they were easy to find. I'm still working off of them and haven't needed to buy more, luckily.

WEAR A MASK! when you mix this stuff. Peat is very dusty and it will be floating through the air. It will also take awhile to get it moist, so make it a few days before you need it to give it time to soak up water.

Back
Top Bottom