What did you do in the garden today?

My pots aren't biodegradable, but they are reusable. Here's what I do, in case I haven't posted it here before. (I think I have...?)

Collect plastic containers like quart yogurt/sour cream containers. Save the tops too, and put some small holes in it, but not too close to the edge, so you don't weaken the plastic too much. Cut the bottom off and put the top back on. Turn it over so the top is the bottom.

Now you have a pot. Fill with your potting medium, plant seeds, water, give them sunlight, encouragement, music, happy thoughts.

When it comes time to transplant them into the garden, dig your hole, add any amendments you like. Take the bottom (top of the container) off, set the pot in the hole, and gently slide it up over the plant. The slope on the side of the container really helps with this.

Because the pots are decent sized, you can start your plants earlier and not need to up pot them. I've been doing this for several years. I ask friends to save me their containers, so I've gotten them for free. You do need a fair amount of potting soil, so it helps to make your own if you can.
Good idea. I just use them right side up -partly bc the lids get lost. Also, tomatoes need all that space in the container, but are do hardy they aren’t picky about some handling. . I start my peppers and toms in the peat pellets - they expand into a little pod. The healthiest one gets transplanted into the yogurt quart container.

But your way is likely better for the more sensitive plants that don’t like transplanting -melons, squash, for example. Maybe I’ll try to keep track of some lids!

I dislike using the biodegradable pots bc I’ve never had great luck with those ever. They mold, they don’t degrade in the ground quickly, so I no longer use those.

Hey yall...quick garlic question
I planted my garlic back in November (little later than I wanted to get it in ground).
We had a blizzard at end of December but I had it mulched and covered.
I've had to relocate all of the garlic plantings due to construction.
They had really good roots on them all and about 6" of growth on most of the green stems above ground.
Do yall think they will survive the transplant?

I generally use the pressed paper starter cell trays. I try to avoid using any peat containing products because peat is not sustainable. I do have the flimsy plastic cells that came with the tray and dome sets. I haven’t used or tossed them because they are not recyclable. I’m hoping these more rigid plastic starter cells work since they seem to be re-usable. I’m lazy and I just buy my starter mix. I’ve been doing more direct seed planting than starting indoors the last two seasons. My other set of hoops arrived the other day and they are rigid but have a nice height. These will help with seeding more a little early outdoors. I would not use empty egg shells to start seeds myself @The Truth Is Out There. Even clean egg shells have their own special aroma.

Scam alert. I got a fake Amazon email saying my account was locked. Do not verify with your information. Second one is a credit card charge froom door dash. Saw it on the bill and canceled the card. Got a new card today and had to canceled that one. A new charge was transfered from the old card. A recurring monthly charge.

Still resistant the urge to start seeds... it really is an urge though!

Snow melted yesterday with the sun out. Today was mostly cloud with the sun poking out just for a bit that I noticed. I was in my office most of the day though anyway. 10 day weather forecast shows mostly 40s with a 2 or 3 days in the 30s. Supposedly we should expect to be in the 50s on the 15th and 16th, that will be nice.

Back to seed starting (or my waiting to start), anybody have an idea for a larger biodegradable pot (6" pot size or so) that I could use to start melons indoors and then plant directly in the ground outside without disturbing roots? I don't want to spend a bunch of money for them and they seem to get pricey at that size. I also worry about water causing them to weaken and the bottoms falling out when I go to move them or the sides splitting open.
Why not follow the concept of a toilet paper roll pot except make it with a larger strip of cardboard instead?

No gardening happening here, yet. But it's 32 yummy degrees and sunny! Went out with the girls to let them roam, a bit. They were so happy to have melted areas with grass. I even had my coat off.

I'm about to start up my Aero Garden. Will start some tomato seedlings for later planting. Varieties that aren't available at the nursery. We don't plant until Mother's Day, here.

I had some tomato seeds planted in my small dome starter with a peat mix on 1/28. A couple of days latter, I planted more seeds of different varieties with rock wool cubes and the rock wool seeds sprouted 5 days latter, so I took them outside. I was wondering if I did anything wrong with the seeds planted in the peat mix. I kept checking them daily and nothing happened. I was feeling disappointed because the packet of my Princess Yum Yum seeds only came with 10 seeds, so I placed an order for 2 more packets with some other seeds I wanted to try.

Mean while, I was watching a video on seed starting by the person who created the Brad's Atomic Grape and he said some seeds sprout in 4 to 5 days and others may take up to 14 day. Today, I checked on my seeds planted on 1/28 and they sprouted on the 12th day. I was thinking they were duds, but they weren't.

What an experience...........I not only ordered more seeds, I threw some out before the 14 day time frame. :he
It can be frustrating, but gardening is always an adventure and always teaches something, no matter how long you've been gardening/growing something.
My pots aren't biodegradable, but they are reusable. Here's what I do, in case I haven't posted it here before. (I think I have...?)

Collect plastic containers like quart yogurt/sour cream containers. Save the tops too, and put some small holes in it, but not too close to the edge, so you don't weaken the plastic too much. Cut the bottom off and put the top back on. Turn it over so the top is the bottom.

Now you have a pot. Fill with your potting medium, plant seeds, water, give them sunlight, encouragement, music, happy thoughts.

When it comes time to transplant them into the garden, dig your hole, add any amendments you like. Take the bottom (top of the container) off, set the pot in the hole, and gently slide it up over the plant. The slope on the side of the container really helps with this.

Because the pots are decent sized, you can start your plants earlier and not need to up pot them. I've been doing this for several years. I ask friends to save me their containers, so I've gotten them for free. You do need a fair amount of potting soil, so it helps to make your own if you can.
For melons/cukes, do the leaves ever get in the way when transplanting? I am going to do this this season so I can start them ahead of time.

I just re-remembered that I have SO MUCH MORE SEED STARTING SPACE!!!!! I'm itching to start my seeds, and Burpee sent me an email saying I can start cool season vegetables and slow growing annuals indoors in my region. Umm.... no. 15 weeks is excessive.

OH! I have seeds that need to be cold stratified. My research says to put them in moist soil or paper towels, and then into the fridge for however long. My question is... can I just put the dry seed packet in a bag the fridge or do they need the moistness? Any tips or tricks?

Clever!!

I try to avoid using any peat containing products because peat is not sustainable.
I've been looking for coir, but not found it. I'll buy it when I do, because, yeah... peat.
For melons/cukes, do the leaves ever get in the way when transplanting? I am going to do this this season so I can start them ahead of time.
Yes, you have to be very careful, especially if your viney things have gotten long. I didn't think of it until after, but maybe wrapping some newspaper around the vine to contain it while you slip the pot over might work. Another pair of hands would be a help too.

Back
Top Bottom