What did you do in the garden today?

Beautiful out, sunny & 55. Got a load of wood chips dropped. I could use probably 5-8 more. We bought a chunk of land behind us that’s low & wet, need to build it up a bit. It’s a start!

I have more squirrels here than anyone could ever want, if they eat my peaches I will lose my mind. I hate those stupid rodents as it is. 🤬 I have to check & see if it’s legal to shoot them. & if it is how to hide that from the neighbors. 🤣

I was doing some research on fencing for the garden, does regular galvanized chicken wire rust? Should I spring for the coated stuff? I don’t really mind because it would look better anyway. & it’ll be free, I have a gift card.

Its killing me to sit here & not be out there tearing that fence down. I should be able to get it done in the fall. & then drip irrigation in the spring.

My crazy little OE was so upset someone was using the magic nest box that she dropped her egg right in the run. 🙄 Girl, there are 2 other boxes that are exactly the same. Wth?

Mine did that yesterday too! I sometimes wish I knew what was swirling around in those little, empty heads of theirs.
Quick run to the village for PDZ. I saw you can get a tiny 5 pound bag of COOP Fresh for $20 or a 40 pound bag of the same stuff for $24. LOL Good lord people.
6 of the giant bags in the truck atm, and as soon as I get a snack, I'll shovel all the old PDZ out of the coop and use it as the base of the manure compost piles and refresh the whole coop at once. It's been 5 years since I've done it last. We just add a bag here or there when it gets low. Time to recharge the whole floor with that ammonia busting stuff.
Otherwise, no gardening. I need to grab promix next big city trip and some coop windows from Habitat.
I decided to mount the cupola I found at a sale on top of the old hoop house support framing. (After I paint it.) It will look like the frame of an old country schoolhouse with it up there and the barn swallows will love having it as a nest spot I don't chase them out of !

Well, crap. You mean besides keeping those dang tree rats out of my sunflowers, onions, and carrots....I'm going to have to chase them off my peaches too?!?! Provided I even GET any peaches after this FUBAR weather. 😡
I think the instant Honey Corn Bread mix with equal parts of baking soda worked. I usually catch a few rats in my cage trap, but haven't seen them for two months and the fish food I placed in and around the trap is still there.

They say rats can't fart and die after eating baking soda.......................

Also, the Golden Glow mango that fell under my tree, did not have any bites on them, so I am pretty sure the rats are gone. They were driving me nuts last year, they were biting through the fruit bags I placed over my Carrie Mangoes.

The Golden Glow mango variety from Maui doesn't taste as good as it sounds. It taste like Haden mango to me, and it is shaped like an Ugly Betty.

My Carrie mango taste much better...........In addition, my Carrie mango also taste better than the modified semi dwarf Nam Dok Mai from Florida. However, I haven't tried the original Yellow ripe ones from Asia. The mango on my Man Dok Mai tree have shades of pink and green when they fall off the tree, its not pure yellow like the Asian ones.

My Carrie mango also taste better than my local Rapoza mango. Furthermore, the seed from my Rapoza mango is very large unlike the thin Carrie mango seed.

My Orange Sherbet and Pirie mango were on par with my Carrie mango, but my Orange Sherbet died back and I had to cut down my Pirie Mango tree because half of it were extending over my neighbors yard, it was an old monster with a four foot trunk.

I can only grow semi dwarf varieties in my yard, full size trees are too hard to maintain.

Last edited:
Dad and I got the weeds out of the garden then we built this bed and then I shoveled the dirt out of the black one and put it in the other one. Then raked it around. It’s chewed up so can’t use it anymore but didn’t wanna waste the dirt. Filled two wheelbarrows and would have filled a third but the last load I just dragged the whole bed over and emptied. But yeah. And my helper :lau

4B33412A-0DFB-4F81-8FF1-DCA1D699CD22.jpeg
6C1A6489-9446-42BB-997A-3259D574CF4C.jpeg
0CE6441B-71D6-4C67-B573-8F5B3363E7A2.jpeg
6337D45D-CC83-485D-98B7-75D8132FD747.jpeg
41151E61-D5F7-4C80-8FAE-CFCCFAD40A03.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom