What did you do in the garden today?

When is the best time to dig up/transplant strawberries - spring or fall? I want to get rid of one bed, too hard on my back to pick. They are 2 years old & the daughters are only a year so they should be good but I can’t dig them up.

I think I will put some lettuce seed out in the raised bed on wheels on the deck today. I uncovered it a few days ago so it could dry out a bit, should be ok now. I really enjoy having it from the aerogarden tho, no bugs or pollen!

I just saw something new on a video about rooting tomato suckers, it was about cutting the tomato sucker twice, the first cut is to take the sucker off the plant and the second cut is done under water an inch below a node to prevent embolism (blood clot).

It made a lot of sense and he says its probably the main reason why suckers fail to root. I forgot to save the link and can't find it anymore.

I must try this, after he cut the sucker under water at a 45 degree angle, he took the sucker out of the water and said "Its been sealed,) and he can move it to another cup with water or plant it in potting soil.

When is the best time to dig up/transplant strawberries - spring or fall? I want to get rid of one bed, too hard on my back to pick. They are 2 years old & the daughters are only a year so they should be good but I can’t dig them up.

I think I will put some lettuce seed out in the raised bed on wheels on the deck today. I uncovered it a few days ago so it could dry out a bit, should be ok now. I really enjoy having it from the aerogarden tho, no bugs or pollen!
How badly I wish I lived closer to you.... 😂

I just got my first harvest from my garden! :eek:

We're running low on onions, so I thought I'd try to dig up some Egyptian Walking Onions, if the ground was amenable. Yup!

I used them to make a very good frittata. Lots of homegrown stuff: Eggs, onions, garlic, garlic scapes, jalapenos (last two from the freezer). Aided and abetted by store bought broccoli, carrots, milk, sour cream, salt, and pepper.

Road trip! 😂

I didn’t get the lettuce planted, my blood pressure is just too low & I can’t risk passing out. Came very close collecting eggs. So annoying as it was beautiful out there. Maybe tomorrow if I beat the rain.
I hate low blood pressure, every time was in hospital they didn’t let me go because my blood pressure was too low, then they made me eat milkless chocolate and drink Turkish coffee.

When I dropped my TV subscription, I bought a Tablo TV tuner/recorder which I now have mixed feelings about. IF I lived in a metro area with lots of Over The Air (OTA) TV broadcasts, I think I would probably really like the Tablo. But I live out in the country, only get 6 channels, of which only 2 channels have anything I care about. It records the programs great, but like I said, I am limited in what I can receive. I might install a bigger antenna on the house this summer to see if I can get more stations.

:old Funny how I grew up, pre-internet, with an antenna up in the attic and we got ABC, CBS, and NBC, plus a weak signal on PBS. I remember how if the signal got a weak signal the picutre would get "snowy." Today, with all digital channels, I either get a crystal clear picture - or nothing. Sometimes I would gladly accept a little snow in the picture.

One big thing I don't like about the Tablo system is that you have to have an internet subscription for the TV listings. Also, if you want more than the 24 free TV listing, you now have to pay $5.00 per month. So, the Tablo system is not a real cord cutter option in that respect. The way I feel, is that if you still have to pay for an internet subscription service, there are lot and lots of free programs with 100's of channels to watch without paying Tablo a $5.00 per month subscription for "free" OTA TV listings.

Bringing the antenna issue back around to gardening, one of the weekly shows I have set to record is Growing Green. "Going Green features interviews with sustainability experts, environmental scientists, and clean tech entrepreneurs." They often have segments on gardening and composting which I find interesting. My local TV station broadcasts two half-hour programs early on Saturday mornings. I record them, and watch them later. Who wants to get up early on Saturday mornings? :tongue
When I lived in Jerusalem my mother made me buy a smart tv so she can have something to watch while she visits me, she also made me pay for a home internet subscription. I had one of those fat televisions before and got three channels and it was fine. I mostly listened to radio, anyway. On tv I had “the first channel”, “the national channel of Jordan” and “national geographic”.

Managed to work outside for about 2 hours. Rain finally got here but not much so far. Chance of rain through Saturday. Sowed some seeds indoors on 3/17 and they are sprouting. Pears trees have not bloomed yet. They are the first to start blooming. Plum trees will be next to bloom. Cut back a wild plum to graft onto later.

Back
Top Bottom