What did you do in the garden today?

No gardening today.
I did put the slide in compost gates on hinges instead.
I also made a nice garden trug from recycled lumber. I'm going to need to make more of these. They're GREAT!
I also made a quick trip to Habitat to grab some windows for the run for next winter.
!
1679523309718.png

I just got my first harvest from my garden! :eek:

We're running low on onions, so I thought I'd try to dig up some Egyptian Walking Onions, if the ground was amenable. Yup!

I used them to make a very good frittata. Lots of homegrown stuff: Eggs, onions, garlic, garlic scapes, jalapenos (last two from the freezer). Aided and abetted by store bought broccoli, carrots, milk, sour cream, salt, and pepper.

@Sally PB - While I was out poking around in the garden yesterday (pulling straw off of things that no longer need it), I checked on my EWO. They are poking up, and the greenery made me so happy!

I may have ordered two more fruit trees, both apple because one was on sale.:oops: I was $6 away from free shipping, so I added tree trunk guards. Then, I got a 10% off coupon, and still had free shipping. We are going to be buying an auger because of all the holes we are going to be digging here (getting 6 fruit trees from Stark Bros, getting a bunch of trees from the Arbor Day Foundation, and digging fence post holes). It's hard to spend all that money upfront (and I still need to buy compost and topsoil), but I know it is all an investment that will pay for itself in years to come. Now, I just need WAAAAY more canning supplies.

Now, I just need WAAAAY more canning supplies.
Check out estate sales and garage sales. Since you don't need them for a few months (I assume...) just keep looking when you see a sale.

I prefer wide mouth jars, and so does everyone else, since most people can get their hand inside it. If you're canning something like applesauce, you don't need a wide mouth, and the regular mouth jars might be skipped over at sales.

My Princess Yum Yum cherry tomato plants with Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus resistance is holding up in the mist of the TLCV pandemic. I started grafting onto young seedlings and have began cloning the suckers off older plants for root stock. Hopefully, I can get a successful graft as this is my second attempt, but this time with the right size silicone grafting clip and a spray bottle.

I planted the 8 broccoli starts that a friend at work gave me. Yesterday I planted a bunch of sprouting garlic bulbs. I don’t know if the will do anything or not but I soaked them in water for a couple of days until they were putting out decent roots.
It’s been raining off and on the past 2 days and more rain is predicted for the next 5 or 6 days.

I pulled my second, and perhaps last, collard green harvest tonight. So amazingly sweet despite the fact that they’re bolting! Yes, sadly we had an 80f day last week and another just today, so that’ll probably be the end of them. I need a more climate controlled space to grow greens year round, or at least try to. I’m watching one cabbage plant that may or may not actually form a head. We’ll see. The BlackBerry plant, the lone survivor, is getting tender leaves, and the three asparagus all overwintered perfectly and are coming back. The apple tree has fuzzy little buds, and nothing yet from the fig. The fig did start a bit late last year, so we’ll see. The Egyptian walking onions are by far the most robust thing in my garden right now. Winter didn’t bother them at all, not even the couple of days we got into the teens each night. They’re starting to grow very well, I’m excited to see how they do.

I’m not planting anything this spring, except to maybe throw some seed potatoes in the ground. We’re moving soon and I don’t want to leave too much here, and the timing is unfortunate. It’ll be high summer not long after we move, but we won’t have gardens in yet. I’ll try for fall, we’ll see how it goes.

Going to be half off grid very soon. Exciting happenings!

Back
Top Bottom