What did you do in the garden today?

My tomato seedlings are starting to get bigger. One of them made tiny flower buds. We are many weeks from setting out into the garden. Should I pinch the buds off?View attachment 3441111
I vote yes to pinch them off. I pinch off early buds because I start 8-10 weeks early indoors for larger transplants. It doesn't seem to effect long term yield poorly. If anything I think it increases the long term yield because the plant will continue to focus on developing stems, leaves and roots rather than get stunted from trying to develop just a few tomatoes as a small plant.

My boss told me I shouldn’t give up, so I set five more of them. This time I used these gifi (spelling?) balls. I have two left, so I’m gonna get more grafts tomorrow.
Hopefully they grow roots.View attachment 3441034
In case you end up liking these pods, the brand is spelled "Jiffy". It's one of the most common brands here for garden supplies from fertilizer to soil to starter trays and pots.

Honestly, soil blocks would have been fine if I hadn't gotten too excited and started my tomatoes way to early. I planted these up because the tomatoes were starting to get a little root bound, but I know someone who has used the same soil blocks and had tomatoes a foot tall.

I bought a 4 cell soil blocker last year, but it did not work very well. It ripped apart about 3 of the 4 cells when I pushed them out. I contacted the seller and they sent me another one, but it had the same problem with the push plates stopping well before the soil blocks were ejected. So, I returned the second one for a refund.

However, I still had the first soil blocker they sent me. Later last summer I reengineered that soil blocker with some new hardware so the pusher now ejects the soil blocks without ripping them apart. I hope to use that soil blocker later this spring.

I do bottom water. ... I bottom water A LOT more than 1/4 inch. I do more like 3/4 to 1". It takes them a day or two to suck it all up, but I don't worry about them getting root rot as much as a plant potted in plastic because of the organic containers or the soil blocks tend not to stay soggy and air dry well.

OK. This is a point I am concerned about. I have seen a number of YouTube videos where people will fill the 10X20 tray up with water 1/4 to 1/2 the height of the tray, let the pots sits in the water for 20-30 minutes, but then drain off any water remaining in the tray after that. In those videos, they were using standard seed starting 6 pack plastic pots, red Solo cups, etc...

I watched another YouTube video where the guy was using the 3" net pots with the slits, and he filled his tray with 1/4-inch of water and just let the pots sit in the water for a day or two as they soaked up the water, then he would rewater the tray after a few more days when the net pot soil got a bit dry. For his system, he was pretty adamant about only filling the 10X20 tray up with 1/4-inch of water and letting the net pots sit for days.

I guess there is a difference between the two methods based on the type of enclosed pot versus net cup with slits or soil block which have no plastic. Is that about right?

I try to make things as easy as I can, even if my pots can't be reused. I can put these straight into the ground which is a perk of using biodegradable pots or no pots at all.

I watched another YouTube video where the guy was warning people about these "biodegradable peat pots" and leaving the plant in the pot when transplanting. I guess not all peat or cow pots are made to the same quality. He stated that some peat pots actually take a year, or even two, to biodegrade in the soil. So, your transplant would still get root bound in the peat pot buried in the garden. He recommended to always remove the plant from the peat pot and then toss the peat pot into a compost bin.

Just make certain to harden off your plants so they aren't shocked by true sunlight, which can burn or kill them. I usually start putting my seedlings outside underneath a deck or on a covered porch where they'll get filtered sunlight and then some direct about a week before I plan on putting them in the ground. You can also use a pop-up greenhouse if you have one and just leave them in there until you're ready to plant.

Thanks. Hardening off is another concern I have and I am glad you addressed it. I don't have a greenhouse - yet - but I am planning on building a hinged hoop top on one of my raised beds and using that as a hardening off mini green house for my plants. Also, for inside the house, I have a small oscillating fan with a low setting that I plan on moving air over the plants on my seed starting shelf. I hear that air movement over the plants will strengthen the main stem and the plants will grow stronger.

Back
Top Bottom