What did you do in the garden today?

Thanks but it's all good. Between dad, my cuz, and I we keep it whooped. Dad and my cuz pretty much keep all the "standing up" work in the garden covered. I do the other 20%. Dad leaves me with 90% of the cattle work. Sad thing is we all disabled for different reasons.
Oh, that's good!
Doing that kind of stuff kicks my butt!
I'm sorry to hear that.

I feel like Americans have a different name for Dutching and Spaining plants. So I’m going to explain what it means, and you will tell me how you call it.
Dutching a plant is when you leave 1-3 branches of a plant and spin each branch around a plastic wire hung from above.
Spaining a plant, is when you hammer two poles into the ground and pass two wires between them, and then as you plant grows, you cross its branches between the wires like a zigzag.

Last edited:
I feel like Americans have a different name for Dutching and Spaining plants. So I’m going to explain what it means, and you will tell me how you call it.
Dutching a plant is when you leave 1-3 branches of a plant and spin each branch around a plastic wire hung frog above.
Spraining a plant, is when you hammer two poles into the ground and pass two wires between them, and then as you plant grows, you cross its branches between the wires like a zigzag.

You say dutching I grew up calling it staking. My tomatos I drive a metal fence post next to the plant and tie the plant to it.

Spraining I'm not sure of the correct term but that like growing cucumbers on a fence. I drive metal fence posts at a 45 degree angle and put cattle panels on them. Train the plants to grow on the fence and the fruit hangs below.

I think most americans just say we are tying plants off and leave it to mean both ways.

You say dutching I grew up calling it staking. My tomatos I drive a metal fence post next to the plant and tie the plant to it.

Spraining I'm not sure of the correct term but that like growing cucumbers on a fence. I drive metal fence posts at a 45 degree angle and put cattle panels on them. Train the plants to grow on the fence and the fruit hangs below.

I think most americans just say we are tying plants off and leave it to mean both ways.
It’s actually Spaining from the word Spain. I had a typo

Questions: Is it worth my time to try to grow some old vegetable seeds? How old is too old? Any best method to germinate old seeds?

Digging through my old gardening stuff, I have found seed packs, many unopened that are 3, 4 and even 5 years old. I was thinking of trying to germinate them in a plastic baggy with the paper towel method to see if they sprout. If they do, then I would transplant them in a net cup at that time and set them out on my seed starting racks. If the seeds don't sprout, I would have lost some time but not much effort in the process.

I plan on putting my new seeds for this year directly into the soil in the net cups. Even so, would you recommend 2 or 3 seeds (tomato, peppers) in each cup and then thinning out later? Or should I just go with one seed per net cup?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
I think you’re on the right track there. They likely won’t have the same germination rate as new seeds, but the paper towel method isn’t a lot of expense or effort so I’d give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom