What did you do in the garden today?

Alright, so i started repotting my tomatoes finally, but im running into trouble. I used seed starter trays and am putting them into pots. When i go to take them out of their cell, the dirt isnt coming up, just the time seedling.
Is that a problem?
Am i hurting the roots?
why is no dirt coming out of the cell?

on another note:
im planting herb seeds thatll stay in the kitchen so i put 2/3 potting mix into the pot and 1/3 seed starter at the top. Good idea or no?

TYIA!

This was before last year.
IMG_1596.JPG
IMG_2594.JPG

@gtaus Our cattle panel over our pole beans was crooked before because of the sheer weight of the plants. My husband and I put horizontal panels on both sides and put more panels on the top. My setup is for pole beans and cucumbers. It was even fine for my peppers because the cucumbers didn't end up shading them. This was early and the beans ended up covering all of the back sides.
I know this doesn't answer your question about a wooden one, but the sides will need support, and it will become really heavy was all I wanted to say.

Last edited:
:thumbsup Something like your cattle panel archway is also on my short list for this year. What are you going to plant to climb up the archway? I am thinking some climbing beans, or cucumbers for me.

I say something like your cattle panel archway because I might make my archway out of pallet and reclaimed wood that I need to use up. That would be the framework for the arch, but I suppose it would have more of a flat top. Then I would attach some wire to the wood for the plants to climb on. I have some shorter sections of 2X4 fencing that I think might work well.

🤔 I wonder if some old chicken wire would work? Might be a little harder to pick the fruit when ready to harvest. Maybe use some chicken wire on the sides going up, but then use the 2X4 wire across the flat top? I'm just trying to use up what I have laying around behind the garage before I go out and buy a cattle panel.

Another thought is to just rip some boards into narrow slats (instead of wire) and build the trellis all out of wood. My raised beds are 4X4 feet, so it would not take many slats to fill in a trellis. I do like the looks of a wooden trellis. Might have to look into that idea a bit more.

:caf Anybody out there built a wooden trellis for climbing beans or cucumbers? Would like to get an idea of how far apart the spacing should be if using wood slats. Any thoughts appreciated.
I use those cattle panel arches for my cukes, loofah, birdhouse gourds, and watermelon. 😁

This year I'm also doing some vertical gardening using 2x4 supports with chicken wire to grow some Sugar Pie Pumpkins and a small watermelon.

Good morning gardeners. Wow, @Sueby. We got a snow shower overnight but really nothing on the ground this morning. It is cold and windy today so no plans on outdoor work. I checked my Pak Choy seed packet yesterday and it is actually a baby variety: Pak Choy Toy Choy. It is green and white, not all light green, but I'm sure it will be tasty. I feel down a rabbit hole yesterday. The MSPCA farm is having an adopt-a-thon for goats. Fee waived. I looked into feed costs and with the price of hay here that was pretty much a deal breaker. Also, they aren't spayed or neutered and I don't really want to deal with that, so, no goats for me. I think the real deal breaker was the noise from goats in heat. Too much. Thank you for your response on the sourdough @igorsMistress. My last starter made it to 11 years. It had good flavor, however I suspect that grocery store sourdough has vinegar in it to make it sour tasting. The taste was very strong. Not so much from own starter. ( I also lived in the Pacific Northwest for a number of years and the grocery store / bakery SD bread did not taste vinegary). I have really missed the health benefits from sourdough bread, so in a few more days I'll be able to make a couple of loaves. I double checked my seed packets and I really don't have Tomatillo, okra and bell pepper seeds. I need to stop by Tractor Supply tomorrow to pick up a bale of straw so I can grab the seeds then. I know I'm a little late in my response @Swiss, but I looked at last year's garden plan and I started the potatoes at the end of April. I had ordered them online and it took a while to receive them, but I know I could have planted them a little earlier. If your ground is really wet you may want to let it dry out a little before planting.

View attachment 3448825
I got the cattle panel archway installed between 2 raised beds. Planted over a 100 onions sets, a little bit of garlic and planted 25 strawberry crowns. Located 7 blueberry plants from what we planted last year and made sure they had a stake near them so that no one mows over them!
View attachment 3448826
Moved the 9 chicks outside to a brooder that I put together in one of the coops.
View attachment 3448827
Went on an egg hunt. Found 2 hidden nests.
View attachment 3448828
Ended up with 24 eggs in 1 nest. 😳 The total egg count today was 50
Lol. They weren’t all laid today that’s for sure!
Oh the sneaky boogers.

Dentist office called last night.
They ordered 10 dozen eggs, wiped me out until Monday.
I'm getting a dozen or so a day, but have a couple of hens that lay eggs not suitable to sell, thin shells.
Windy and 75 today (50+mph) and then storms and chance of snow. It's spring. My plan is to let the hens out for the day and maybe paint the old hoop house frame. There's no setting up the plastic on the frost hoops with this wind.

Back
Top Bottom