What did you do in the garden today?

Raining now. Rain forecast for later. Rain and wind after that. I think it's a good day to stay inside.

I'm still geeked about this: I'm going to get honey bees in about 6 weeks! We heard of someone who had all his gear for sale (hive, smoker, suit, extractor, and a bunch of other stuff) for $400, so we bought it all yesterday.

Did I tell you guys this already?! Anyway, I ordered the bees yesterday too. This was all I could talk/post about. Just like a kid, huh? :smack

I have a spot picked out for the hive: about 30 feet past the south end of my garden that's in a bit of a valley.

Maybe this will help my cherry trees decide to make cherries this year!
You have posted, but I know we all are excited right along with you!
@igorsMistress View attachment 3451374
When they fall, you can crack them with a hammer and eat the white inside. They’re supposed to be oily but our tree is a seedling, (instead of a cutting) and so it’s not really oily but more sweet watery.
Beautiful!
I like Macadamia nuts, but they're expensive here. I would love to grow citrus here, but I don't think I could deal with the amount of work they'd require. Those blooms probably smell incredible!

Good morning all. This has been a productive day! I got all the stuff watered, adjusted the waterers for the plants, put the white sage plants in and topped with some compost. There’s a temporary fence around the veggies so could let the chickens into the shade garden. They were busy eating young weeds when I left. I have a wide open space on the slope where the aloe are and I’m not sure what to do there. The chickens have managed to kill everything I’ve put out there so I was going to make a grass frame; I’m rethinking that though, it’ll probably overcrowd that area and someone could get hurt. I thought about creeping thyme but they’ll kill it. I need something low growing that spreads and chickens don’t like. Or I may just leave it as is and not put anything there at all.

Thanks, that's very helpful. I will certainly look into the Masterblend.

I have not heard about root rot in the Kratky sytem. From what I have learned, as the plant drinks up the water, the water level drops in the bin creating an air gap. The main drinking roots will continue to grow into the solution while the roots above the water level will turn into air roots, pulling oxygen from the air. I never heard any talk of root rot. I will have to look that up. Thanks.
No I haven’t either, but I’ve read about it elsewhere. Kratkyhydroponics.com has a smaller kit that may be an option until you decide if you like it or not, I found that today while I was reading. The remnants can be used for your soil garden if nothing else.

We transplanted vegetables into the garden today! We also fertilized and composted.

This is an estimate

12 bean plants
12 oka
24 peppers (jalapeño, different bells)
24 tomatoes (sungold, brandy wine, better boy)
6 squash
6 zucchini
Some marigolds. Other flowers will go out later

I’m nervous about the wind. It’s been about 12 mph. I think everything will be fine but I hate for them to get hit by wind a lot on the first day or two they are planted in ground.

Will probably plant corn Monday

Raining now. Rain forecast for later. Rain and wind after that. I think it's a good day to stay inside.

I'm still geeked about this: I'm going to get honey bees in about 6 weeks! We heard of someone who had all his gear for sale (hive, smoker, suit, extractor, and a bunch of other stuff) for $400, so we bought it all yesterday.

Did I tell you guys this already?! Anyway, I ordered the bees yesterday too. This was all I could talk/post about. Just like a kid, huh? :smack

I have a spot picked out for the hive: about 30 feet past the south end of my garden that's in a bit of a valley.

Maybe this will help my cherry trees decide to make cherries this year!
You did but I understand your excitement and happy to hear more about it! Can’t wait to hear about your new adventure!

Wednesday morning, the 28th, three days ago, I planted my tomato and marigold seeds. THREE DAYS AGO....
20230401_151410.jpg

Back
Top Bottom