What did you do in the garden today?

I have not, and would be open to trying. Besides the heat, the other issue here is poor soil. I only know of one large fruited heirloom tomato that likes it on my farm. Otherwise I have to depend on my wild tomatoes. I’d love to figure out other varieties that will thrive here.

I’ve tried Cherokee purples here two years in a row and it was a waste of my effort.
Have you tried Manalucie Tomatoes? They were developed for FL heat and humidity. U of F I think. It's an old, old pollinated large tomato. Old time flavor.

I have not, and would be open to trying. Besides the heat, the other issue here is poor soil. I only know of one large fruited heirloom tomato that likes it on my farm. Otherwise I have to depend on my wild tomatoes. I’d love to figure out other varieties that will thrive here.

I’ve tried Cherokee purples here two years in a row and it was a waste of my effort.

I'm in zone 8b southeast Georgia, 2 hours from Jacksonville, so very similar heat and humidity issues here.
I was so frustrated with my tomato situation that I planted 80 different varieties last year to find a selection of larger tomatoes that would do better in our climate. 😆
I'm ok with some cherry tomatoes but my favorites are definitely the big slicer tomatoes.

I only planted Southern Belle tomatoes this year because I didn't realize it was a lost variety when it made it to the top of my heat tolerant list last year. I plan on sharing seeds that we save this year with as many people as would like to try them and hopefully continue to save and share them.

Planted many flowers, not quite done, but almost.

3 more days of very hot and dry. Then, it will be cooler and dry.

At noon today, we see a baby opossum under the wheelbarrow. <oh please don’t run into the barn…I don’t need that again> so we go to check it out.

IMG_2053.jpeg

Hmmm…I think there’s more around bc cat is hissing at the wood pile (which sits on some pallets, so space underneath). And that is near the wheelbarrow, where we found this one.

Back
Top Bottom