What did you do in the garden today?

I'm in zone 8b southeast Georgia, 2 hours from Jacksonville, so very similar heat and humidity issues here.
I was so frustrated with my tomato situation that I planted 80 different varieties last year to find a selection of larger tomatoes that would do better in our climate. 😆
I'm ok with some cherry tomatoes but my favorites are definitely the big slicer tomatoes.

I only planted Southern Belle tomatoes this year because I didn't realize it was a lost variety when it made it to the top of my heat tolerant list last year. I plan on sharing seeds that we save this year with as many people as would like to try them and hopefully continue to save and share them.

I too am 8b. About 30 minutes south of Valdosta.

Have you tried Manalucie Tomatoes? They were developed for FL heat and humidity. U of F I think. It's an old, old pollinated large tomato. Old time flavor.
No, I’ll check into it.

The one I’ve found that does great is a Bonnie heirloom slicer but its never specifically labeled beyond that when my general store has it, nor do their order records indicate what they are beyond being heirloom slicers. Thus I’ve never been able to order them online. They look most like the German Queen Bonnie has on their website.

5A5B077A-3132-47DF-89F0-5CDCB061101B.jpeg

Harvest from my garden so far.

IMG_5182.jpeg

My manuvo cowpeas are coming up. They’re new to the U.S., out of Tanzania. Supposed to be a very vigorous cowpea that will grow in large, non-climbing mats. I have several growing around the homestead in beds of varying soil quality and some down in the woods behind electric netting. I would like to see if these become a feasible cover and food plot crop.

Back
Top Bottom