What did you do in the garden today?

Harvested a small mess of berries from the garden. There were tons more but the sun was nearly down and I didn't feel like picking them. Enough for a nice snack this evening. 😋 20230606_204322.jpg

View attachment 3531759
So what kind of grubs are these? I’m getting them by the 100’s out of a 2 ft by 6ft by 2 ft deep raised bed that I filled with compost this spring. But didn’t see a single earthworm in the bed.
The chickens loved the snack I brought them. 😂
June bug grubs?

I've been giving my chickens more and more free reign as far as their free ranging goes. I even left them out today while I took a quick trip to town on a beer run. LOL. All was well when I returned.

And I've kind of decided to forget about restricting them from the garden this season so I can see what happens. Well..... This is what happened!!

This was ok. They found a mound of well rotted wood compost that I raked off my raised bed into the path. Seemed to enjoy bathing in it!

IMG_1283.JPG

No harm here, right?

IMG_1286.JPG

But looking closer, they also enjoyed scratching in the spot I planted turnip seeds yesterday. LOL

IMG_1290.JPG

And they dug a little next to my rattlesnake beans.

IMG_1295.JPG

IMG_1294.JPG

Oh well. They're good chickens. They follow me around sometimes and keep me entertained.

They seem to leave my garden plants alone for the most part. The digging in the garden, I guess I can live with it. I'm sure even with the soil stirred up most of the turnip seeds will still come up.

IMG_1299.JPG

Smoking the cow head is not something we ever did. Sounds adventurous.
The 1/4 cow order did not include that, did it? Did you have to pay extra, or were they just willing to throw it in if you wanted it?

And then, what is the process and what did you do with it?
The pet much just threw in the head. It sounds like it doesn't cost them anything - they just had to ask their slaughterer to provide a head back to them. The process is pretty easy - thaw for a day in the fridge, rub with seasoning/marinade, place on smoker. I smoke it for 6-8 hours until the cheek meat shreds easily. We had the tongue on the smoker with it this time because it was a bit frozen still and I couldn't remove it. I would prefer to do the tongue separately, but I came out fine. The tongue is a bit more work at the end - you need to remove the skin from the tongue and slice the meat.

I spent 4 hours working st the Farm Garden today. I weeded the strawberry bed and removed about 100+ grubs, I watered everything, I weed eated around all the raised beds & the blackberries & the grapes, I put cardboard down on a bit of the pathway between 2 raised beds and dumped 3 more large black trash bags of wood chips on top, I burned a small pile of dried weeds & sticker seeds, I tied up the spaghetti squash vines so that they are going on the arch trellis and I planted a few more basil plants and 2 cilantro plants ( all started from seeds) and harvested 2 stalks of asparagus which I ate while I worked . I think that was everything I did out there today. Oh and there are 2 small zucchini on the 1 plant I have out there!! There are probably about 30 very small starts of spaghetti squash on the 2 plants. I hope I like spaghetti squash. 😂

Back
Top Bottom