What did you do in the garden today?

Raccoon is raiding my entire garden while I sleep now.
It WILL NOT enter that trap.
I may have to move on to something more drastic.

All my raspberries gone. Dug up my new raspberry plants. Digging in all my garden beds now. Dug up several fertilizer stakes from various fruit trees.

What I need is a motion-sensor rifle.
Or a land mine. Are those hard to come by? 😂

Since I have a nice volunteer patch of pumpkins in the compost pile, I decided to go ahead and uncover the new pumpkin/melon/watermelon trellis that's in the garden. I stuffed the insect netting all down around the bottom of the pumpkin vines. I also took long strips of t-shirt material (I was saving for a tshirt rug) and wrapped the pumpkin vines at the bottom as much as I could. Of course, there's absolutely NO WAY I can protect the entire plant(s) except to keep the netting over the whole she-bang but that would mean hand-pollinating everything and I have enough of that to do already with everything inside the hoop house. So I'm just going to have to take my chances with the SVB and hope that I have enough of the plant protected to limit as much damage as possible. :fl:fl:fl

Since I have a nice volunteer patch of pumpkins in the compost pile, I decided to go ahead and uncover the new pumpkin/melon/watermelon trellis that's in the garden. I stuffed the insect netting all down around the bottom of the pumpkin vines. I also took long strips of t-shirt material (I was saving for a tshirt rug) and wrapped the pumpkin vines at the bottom as much as I could. Of course, there's absolutely NO WAY I can protect the entire plant(s) except to keep the netting over the whole she-bang but that would mean hand-pollinating everything and I have enough of that to do already with everything inside the hoop house. So I'm just going to have to take my chances with the SVB and hope that I have enough of the plant protected to limit as much damage as possible. :fl:fl:fl
I used strips of socks. I'm hoping it helps prevent SVBs. I've not had a good harvest of squash since I moved here.
IMG_20230605_175741945~2.jpg

Other pictures from around the garden. (Don't judge my out of control grass... Belt broke on the mower and we haven't been home to fix it.)

Peppers were started late. I was growing them for my mom who passed away last week.
20230608_115036.jpg

Ground cherries
20230608_115039.jpg

Mr Lincoln roses
20230608_115044.jpg

Pink lemonade blueberries
20230608_115100.jpg

Determinate tomatoes
20230608_115119.jpg

My out of control lemon balm
20230608_115129.jpg

Inside the hoop house
20230608_115241.jpg

A volunteer loofah
20230608_115301.jpg

All my raspberries gone. Dug up my new raspberry plants. Digging in all my garden beds now. Dug up several fertilizer stakes from various fruit trees.

Have you tried hard boiled eggs? That's how we get ours everytime.

Mini marshmallows. Works - they must love marshmallows in this area. We’ve tried cat food (wet and smelly) but it was messy. Never tried hard boiled eggs though, but that would seem like an easy idea too, and smelly enough for the raccoons to be aware of the bait.

Have you tried blood meal fertilizer? I haven't tried it with racoons but that's what dissuades the squirrels from our garden. I know it sounds weird but we tried several things and nothing seemed to work, we fertilized with blood meal and almost all activity stopped. An old local farmer mentioned that's what he uses to keep the critters out of his garden after the fact and I put two and two together. 🤷‍♀️ He said they can smell it and associate it with danger. It's not 100% but it seemed to make the difference for us.

I now have a little "Squirrel Town" set up for them and dare I say...I'm actually enjoying the little buggers now. I may have even named a few 😆 ...and set up a trail cam to squirrel watch, LOL!

2023-06-08 (6).png

Back
Top Bottom