What did you do in the garden today?

Speaking of perennials in hugelkulture beds.. specifically strawberries. I saw the question posed..

Strawberries only live on average 5 years. The first year they are getting settled in and producing fruits as well as a few runners. The second year they produce well and send out even more runners. The next few years the strawberry plants produce much less and send out more runners before finally dieing. If planted in an hugelkulture bed that has settled there is zero issue with growth, it should just spread like fire. If grown on a bed that hasn't settled you can use small mounds and the next year you can ad soil/compost around the mounds and the new plants will simply grow on the new medium.

Edited to ad. Strawberries also have very shallow root systems so the settling would never bother the roots unless it was extreme and then it's just because people were lazy and/ or too impatient when building the garden bed.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever saved a sweet potato that has (tiny) sprouts on it to plant the next season? How would I store it for another 5+ months?
I use supermarket sweet potatoes that impress me, so I wouldn't need to store any. However, the ones sold in my area doesn't have any growth inhibitors. I think they put growth inhibitors only on regular potatoes.

Gingerbread update:

No garden, but woods and a log cabin workshop in the back.

IMG_3470.jpeg

My teen went a different direction and channeled her Swedish genes to create a more sparse scene.

IMG_3480.jpeg

It was fun (and messy). I drop them off tomorrow.

Has anyone ever saved a sweet potato that has (tiny) sprouts on it to plant the next season? How would I store it for another 5+ months?
Sally PB , I just set a few sweet potatoes in a raised bed just covered with a light soil and compost mix in early spring here and keep watered well and in a few weeks they are covered in shoots to break off and plant. I planted a fifty foot row from slips from 4 large sweet potatoes this year and had a couple left over. Two piled up wheel barrows of potatoes from that.

I just set a few sweet potatoes in a raised bed just covered with a light soil and compost mix in early spring here and keep watered well and in a few weeks they are covered in shoots to break off and plant. I planted a fifty foot row from slips from 4 large sweet potatoes this year and had a couple left over. Two piled up wheel barrows of potatoes from that.
What a great idea! That could work for me, planting them in my green house. That would cut a couple months (?) off the storage.

Until then, how should I store them? They're not treated with anything.

Gingerbread update:

No garden, but woods and a log cabin workshop in the back.

View attachment 3698931

My teen went a different direction and channeled her Swedish genes to create a more sparse scene.

View attachment 3698932

It was fun (and messy). I drop them off tomorrow.
LOVE. IT.

That looks like so much fun and so creative! I've always been tempted to do this with the kids but never been brave enough to actually do it. 😊

Back
Top Bottom