What did you do in the garden today?

I let this 17-inch okra variety get up to 12 inches. The smaller one is from another variety. I will put them in my saimin for lunch.

I got some heavy hitter okra sprouts from Bakers Creek coming along, they should be regular size okras, with heavy production. However, it should be a while before I get to try them, since they are only 2 inches at the moment.
View attachment 3736574
I let this 17-inch okra variety get up to 12 inches. The smaller one is from another variety. I will put them in my saimin for lunch.

I got some heavy hitter okra sprouts from Bakers Creek coming along, they should be regular size okras, with heavy production. However, it should be a while before I get to try them, since they are only 2 inches at the moment.
View attachment 3736574
The 12-inch okra was still tender, but the smooth skin on the smaller green okra tasted better. I think the 17inch okra variety from Louisiana was bred for slow cooked gumbo.

Speaking of onions, I have DOZENS of onion seed packets from my mom's stuff. I think all of them were packaged between 2016 - 2018. I've read that most onion seeds are not viable after 2 years. I'll still try to germinate some of them but don't have high hopes. Anyone else who can confirm or deny this?
Onion seed life is 1year. But, yes, likely some 2-3 years old may sprout. Your stuff is old, so don’t waste too much time or space or optimism on those!

I pulled the last of my carrots and kale from the garden but didn't have the energy to topcoat the beds with chicken run compost. Gotta leave some work for tomorrow I guess.

I noticed that all the chive plants that died back to the ground last fall are now sprouting new growth. I need to pot some of them up for my windowsill before they grow too much.

I also dug up my horseradish plant today. There's one big root chunk the size of a softball, plus several 1/2" diameter roots about 10 inches long that are the perfect size for replanting.

I ammended the horseradish bed with compost and replanted two roots for this year's crop. Gave a few to the neighbor too, along with a dozen eggs.

I have tried to grow the "Nadapeno" (or however they spell it; a non-hot jalepeno) twice, and never gotten seeds to sprout. A friend says the perfect hot pepper would be the flavor of a habanero, with the heat level of a jalepeno.
I would love to have a habanero with the heat of the jalapeno. That might be something that I need to check into. I love my hot peppers for salsa stews and soups.

I would love to have a habanero with the heat of the jalapeno. That might be something that I need to check into. I love my hot peppers for salsa stews and soups.
The description for the Habanero Sweet Red says, "Contains the same fruity flavor as their hot cousins but without the scorching heat. These red lantern-shaped peppers mature slightly earlier than the standard red habenero."

It doesn't give a RSR number though.

Back
Top Bottom