What did you do in the garden today?

Ever since I started thinking about growing daikon I was wondering if they could be grown in sections of PVC pipe. Today I searched on YouTube and found this interesting video. I might give it a try if I can scrounge up some pipe.
I used cement wall tiles to section my garden, they have 2 hollow holes in them. One day on a whim, I filled these holes with potting mix and planted daikon seedling in them and all of them grew fat, this was the 6-inch type.

I have grown the long daikon in fabric bags recently, and I picked them young when they were fat enough to preserve. I usually get tired of eating them, so I didn't wait for them to get to 12 inches.

I prefer growing the 6-inch type, since they have a shorter harvest time.

The mosquitoes won the battle, but not the war. I got lazy and didn't maintain my Dyna Mosquito traps. I did a search for mosquito dunks at my local Lowe's website and found it listed at aisle 19. It's near the end of the month, so it's a good time to set them out. I will quarter the dunks and use each quarter for a half full 5-gallon bucket in shady areas in my yard. I also placed a 4-month continuous refill subscription for Dyna mosquito bait from amazon. The Dyna traps don't work without the bait. However, when they are working with the bait, I can walk around my back yard without a shirt.

Last edited:
I hate the taste of Flonase as it post nasal drips down...ugh, nasty spitting it out. When my eyes swell shut, Allegra helps, but the chronic sinusitis is a different "entity" & can be barometric pressure or temperature or humidity related. Also, mold, mildew & dust affect breathing. Pollen or dander are not the only culprits. There are also chemical sensitivities to consider. Bleach cleans well but sets my nose & throat aflame. A saline nasal flush or netti pot can help clear out the gunk & that is my 1st "go to" dealing with congestion. If it's a barometric pressure issue though, the only thing to help that is when the storms finally blow out to sea & the sun shines to dry everything up. Sometimes sinuses are affected by mere temperature fluctuations, too. My nose becomes a leaky faucet at 45 degrees & colder. Benedryl may be good for allergies, but it'll also give you a good night's sleep, so taking it during the day, while driving or operating machinery is not a good idea. If your nose is clogged at night, though, even with taking Benedryl, it might be a dust mite issue. Washing bedding with hot water & trying to address dust mites could help. Also, if you have ductwork with forced air, they probably need professional cleaning. Change your air filters at least every 30 days. To reduce what pollen, sawdust or dander I track in, my outer clothes stop right at the laundry room, coats get shaken outside then hung up & jeans or hoodies go right into the washer & I get a shower to get any allergens off of me. Hair or hats will harbor a surprising amount of pollen. Does not matter if I had a shower that morning, I do not skip the pollen & dust removing shower. Keep your house & especially bedroom & bed as pollen free, dander free or dust free as possible. If you have a ceiling fan in your bedroom, dust off the tops of the fan blades, trust me, they're dusty up there. With seasonal asthma, allergies, barometric sinusitis & teen years sick with chronic bronchitis & a few bouts with pneumonia in my life, I can attest to what has helped me, so I hope some of these ideas can help y'all as well. Being stuff up is just not a good way to be! 🤧
I got an air purifier in 2020 that I run 24/7 in the bedroom. It's made a difference.

I used to have chronic sinusitis and frequent bronchitis. About 30 years ago I saw a difference with regular chiropractic adjustments and then again about 10-15 years ago with a change in diet. I don't eat foods that seem to trigger allergies and inflammation such as chocolate, corn, nightshade vegetables, citrus. I still have allergies but the sinus and bronchial issues are almost completely absent.

I used cement wall tiles to section my garden, they have 2 hollow holes in them. One day on a whim, I filled these holes with potting mix and planted daikon seedling in them and all of them grew fat, this was the 6-inch type.

I have grown the long daikon in fabric bags recently, and I picked them young when they were fat enough to preserve. I usually get tired of eating them, so I didn't wait for them to get to 12 inches.

I prefer growing the 6-inch type, since they have a shorter harvest time.
I decided to take the easy way out and use a 7 gallon bucket as a radish growing container. It'll be easy to move around if needed.

I have a really bad problem with root maggots destroying the radishes in my garden, so I'm going to buy potting soil. One cubic foot of potting soil will fill up a 7 gallon bucket.

I have a bunch of floating row cover that I'll use over the buckets o' radishes to protect them from an insect invasion.

I did a search for mosquito dunks at my local Lowe's website and found it listed at aisle 19. It's near the end of the month, so it's a good time to set them out. I will quarter the dunks and use each quarter for a half full 5-gallon bucket in shady areas in my yard.
I love mosquito dunks, I toss them in every rain water container we have and they work so well. I toss them in standing water next to our property as well.

No garden work again today. We’ve got around an inch of rain already and looking to get another half inch before it stops. I did put a little fertilizer on the seedlings yesterday. Nearly all the cells have sprouted. Just waiting for the secondary leaves. I started getting my front porch (covered with a locking door) set up to brood some chicks. I haven’t been able to make the repairs and finish the cleaning of the old coop yet. I was hoping to have them moved by now but the weather hasn’t been cooperative. I’ll just set up the brooder and hope for drier weather to transfer the old flock to the old coop. I was going to get a few Black Australorps and a few Easter Eggers. However, after reading up on their temperament and egg laying, I think I’ll skip the Easter Eggers. I have very assertive Columbian Wyandotte and crazy Buff Orpington hens. I don’t think the docile Easter Eggers would be happy. I looked into Leghorns but apparently they’re not all that people friendly. Who really needs white or blue eggs. Lol! I’ll be picking them up tomorrow. This may be the last time I will brood chicks. The cuteness wears off after 3 days. I was hoping to work on prepping the garden beds but it is way too soggy to even think about planting. I’m really hoping for drier weather to start planting.

Back
Top Bottom