What did you do with your flock today?

Well, it finally happened. Ferdy and Stan had a massive bust-up yesterday afternoon. I didn't see what happened to spark it off but I suspect, given Ferdy's almost horizontal nature, Stan was being a little 💩

I went out to check on everyone at around 5 pm. The girls were clustered round the kitchen door but no sign of the boys. Normally they both come running when I call. I found Ferdy covered in blood just stood in the run and Stan huddled behind a plant pot with his head on the floor, also covered in blood.
I scooped Stan up and took him in to assess his injuries, as he looked like he'd gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson. He had his first ever bath and blow dry but apart from scuffs on his feet, his only injuries were to his comb, wattles and face. One eye was swollen shut but the eyeball is fine. I gave it a rinse with saline and put some ice on it to bring down the swelling, antiseptic cream on his wounds and gave him a few drops of nutri drops as he looked like he was going into shock. Half an hour's cuddle from DH while I dealt with Ferdy's injuries and he was tucking into his special seed blend.
Ferdy fared a bit better and had clearly been the victor but he still had a lot of comb and wattle injuries. As his feathers had turned pink from the blood, he also had a bath and blow dry. He wounds were also treated with antiseptic. Amazingly, they then both spent a couple of hours with me for t.v. and snuggles, one on each shoulder, apparently happy in each other's company!

This morning, both have very bruised faces but seem to be the best of friends again!!! They were eating their breakfast out of the same dish, right next to each other.
The girls have all crowded round Stan and made mother hen noises at him. I thought that might have triggered Ferdy, but nope, he just watched for a couple of seconds and got on with what he was doing.

I know it's probably going to happen again. I don't have enough space to separate them. DH was insistent last night that one of them has to go but I want to wait and see. I think it might just be Stan testing boundaries, as he is a teenager, and that things will settle. Am I being selfish or do you all think it'll work out?
Aw...that's a pity. Wish I knew what the future holds for them. Hopefully more quiet and happy times together. I keep a lot of roos but so far they get along well within their flock. I have one father/son combo that's been together for a few years now and never any fights still...son still dutifully follows dads lead though. They never even look grumpy with each other...no posturing or anything between them. They seem very cooperative. Birds are such individuals and your flock seems very centered around you. For most keepers I'd just say separate them to insure one doesn't end up dead...for you I'd say you'll know if they need separated. Hopefully Stan accepts his place now and Ferdy holds no grudge. ❤️

What size needles do you guys use for your Marek’s vaccine. I have made the decision to go ahead and vaccinate these guys and then just order another bottle for the ones that are coming. I’m thinking I will go with a 22G but should I do a 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch? I can only find needles in the 22G in 3/4 inch. There is a 20G in a 3/8 inch. I just don’t want the needle too big for these little guys.
Did you find anything out on needle size? I would like to know. Someone said insulin needles to me.

unfortunately for them, I stole all of their eggs, I know I should be ashamed, but I can't help myself and seeing as how I can't help myself, I am probably going to do it again tomorrow. They will probably look at me with that disapproving look they have, but i will just slink back around the corner and run into the house..:lau

O that's a tough call! I like how your eye goes to the text first with the image as an accent on the first one. It has a strong logo feel. The second one has a classier feel and the quail is clearly a quail so shows the diversity of birds you raise better. I think either are wonderful, but lean towards the last one most. It feels more like you to me. Also like the way the flowers lean in towards each other...kinda closing the top to hold the eye down. It has a strong but delicate feel. You can't go wrong with either of those though! ❤️
I can't decide. Both are stunning, maybe have both made?
Well, checked the feeders and all looked pretty good though I did remove the shake from the bottom of the grandpa feeder.
Sprinkled probios on a few bowls of feed and wet with vinegar water. Changed out and filled all waterers with vinegar in the water. Then locked the gang in the run and garden when I went to town. All looked real good when I got home and let them out. No fussy britches.
I did see a moldy half eaten orange in the run the other morning. I promptly removed it but wondered if anyone would feel sickly if they had snacked on it. Maybe that was it.
Well, glad to see them all being happy chickens again.
So distressing to see any one under the weather. Did that orange get in there by accident, from your tree? Citrus isn't good for them, if I've remember reading that. Let alone a moldy thing. Good detective work, and glad they feel better. Mosquitos, ugh! Here's a thought. Could you leave a few shallow water traps out, then when you see wrigglers, strain out the water, and let the chickens have them. My fish love those.
Oooooo, but those new bags! 😍😍😍😍
Kalua pig? Smoke meat? My brother's step SiL use to have a business of pig control over there, if someone had problems with them.

Last edited:
Caught up. Found my mason bees had been hatching in the fridge, so put them outside and had to get the tubes out as well. Weather has been conducive to gardening. Getting raised beds tilled, planted snow and snap peas, beets today. Onions are sprouted. DH tilled the big garden.
Been getting more eggs, 11 for the second time this week.
I am hoping their feed came in at TSC. Have to call again, or get a different one until they restock. Only was able to fill one feeder on Monday. Cock E decided he wanted to attack the empty feed bag again, so after a couple spurs, I just let the bag go. He did a good job of killing it. :lau :lau:caf

Getting concerned about this spring fling going on with the boys. @Shetland lover and ? (sorry, old brain, someone else who had a bloody boy) yours got it out of their systems for the time being, hopefully, permanently.
Thankfully, my two don't fight. However, have notice them double teaming the girls that don't seem to want to cooperate and grumble loudly about their mounting attempts. Well, the other boy, upon hearing her, runs over and starts pecking and scratching at her head, or tries to also mount. Which one would I separate, or maybe jail both of them? Rehome? Freezer or crockpot camp? I don't have the heart to cull. Too chicken. Pun intended.

Last edited:
So distressing to see any one under the weather. Did that orange get in there by accident, from your tree? Citrus isn't good for them, if I've remember reading that. Let alone a moldy thing. Good detective work, and glad they feel better. Mosquitos, ugh! Here's a thought. Could you leave a few shallow water traps out, then when you see wrigglers, strain out the water, and let the chickens have them. My fish love those.
Oooooo, but those new bags! 😍😍😍😍
Kalua pig? Smoke meat? My brother's step SiL use to have a business of pig control over there, if someone had problems with them. What will you do with them?
Hey good morning!
Yeah, orange fell from tree. It happens and I have never had an issue. Usually it is the feral chicks that pick at them for the bugs (gnats etc) so I just put mental note. So far nothing I have not been able to head off. Thinking Spring hormones with potential pecking order and bullying issues, mosquitos, rain...  maybe a little 'ate something bad' issue. Just not sure. I get to stick at home today so I will be watching! 👀

Oh man, trapping pigs, good fun hehehe, good business. Bet he stayed busy on the North Shore.
Last eve I spotted a big black bore in my son's yard. Spring 🤷‍♀️ suddenly there is a run on them. He stuck around for a bit- someone's loose pet as the pig was fat and silly- Was funny to watch the reaction of my cats as it ran around as 4 were playing in my son yard. Bounce bounce hunker stalk scatter repeat.

I started a fish bowl but I need to do a few more. Gotta search out more pots. Bit of a shortage since the pandemic. Have some fish lined up... a bit excited!

Loving the new bags. Can't wait to get started on them again today ☆

Caught up. Found my mason bees had been hatching in the fridge, so put them outside and had to get the tubes out as well. Weather has been conducive to gardening. Getting raised beds tilled, planted snow and snap peas, beets today. Onions are sprouted. DH tilled the big garden.
Been getting more eggs, 11 for the second time this week.
I am hoping their feed came in at TSC. Have to call again, or get a different one until they restock. Only was able to fill one feeder on Monday. Cock E decided he wanted to attack the empty feed bag again, so after a couple spurs, I just let the bag go. He did a good job of killing it. :lau :lau:caf

Getting concerned about this spring fling going on with the boys. @Shetland lover and ? (sorry, old brain, someone else who had a bloody boy) yours got it out of their systems for the time being, hopefully, permanently.
Thankfully, my two don't fight. However, have notice them double teaming the girls that don't seem to want to cooperate and grumble loudly about their mounting attempts. Well, the other boy, upon hearing her, runs over and starts pecking and scratching at her head, or tries to also mount. Which one would I separate, or maybe jail both of them? Rehome? Freezer or crockpot camp? I don't have the heart to cull. Too chicken. Pun intended.
Oh wonderful gardening! Now the fun begins 😁😁😁 do hope you share photos.

My rooster experience- if you must keep 2. Father sons work the best and not all shoes fit. My 2 share the 26 girls I have but Spider is 3+ and the established man, Beetle does not challenge and is very submissive to him so it works in large open spaces. In the run it is not fair to Beetle as Spider will goose him for whatever rooster reason so I tend to give Beetle a few girls to look after in the garden. If I sequester the flock together (like yesterday going for town run) I am sure to open the garden gate and the coop hatch so garden and run are a big loop and Beetle can easily avoid a dominant Spider.
Drama, drama, drama. Especially in spring 🌴🤦‍♀️🐓🐓

Back in the day, we used to go catch medaka, or mosquito fish, swordtails and guppies in the stream. The water too pilau now.
Wouldn't it be fun to slow down and spend a few hours doing that again? Where did you catch them? We only have 1st ditch tilapia 🤣 on the Westside. Just kidding, I'm sure I could search the Waimea River but more easy to trade a friend in Kalaheo. She loves our eggs and horse poop compost. Plus she has a terrific set up, raises really nice guppies. And I don't have to crouch cuz sometimes it hurts getting up. I just know one day I gunna get stuck.

Back
Top Bottom