What did you do with your flock today?

I put roosts in the runs during the summer and almost all the birds prefer to sleep there. In the summer I get the desire to catch every breeze. But you'd think in the winter they'd naturally seek the warmest roosts to sleep. Nope. 🤣Sometimes I wonder why I bother with coops at all. I have to take all the run roosts out every winter to convince them to sleep warmer. Creatures of habit...lol.
I deal with the same thing here...they have a "porch" in the back of their coop that is surrounded by their run and they would rather sleep there 365 than in the nice draft free coop! I'm not able to take the porch on and off. So I treat em to go in the coop when I feel up to bedtime songs n cuddles...otherwise I coerce them to go "night night" then give em a helping hand on inside the coop n shut the door lol!

@Yard farmer ya got a pic of her...I must have missed some posts. Glad she's getting better!

@kurby22 they do look really well considering all the rain! How are the sneezing going? Just here n there?

If I had all of those rats it would be an all out war like @PopoMyers did. I'd worry about the dirt and disease they bring. Super yuck.

With dh gone I am doing a massive tiny house clean 😂 got the front lanai, glass door and sidelights plus windows done, living room rearranged and floors cleaned, my reuse drawer and recycle drawer organized and switched along with open shelving cleaned off and wiped.
Down at the pasture it was kind of the same. Getting lots done not having to cook and clean up after my man. Feels great.
Beautiful sunny day, chooks out having a blast. Only sewed one bag and that was for horse feed and easy weighing and transporting of.

Bbloody rats! We've caught 10 now but I know there's many more. Never heard of them chewing through Omlet coops. Over here they're marketed as pest and predator proof!
Your girls and boys are looking well despite all the wet 😍
I know!! I was just so incredulous at the giant hole!! It’s really strong plastic! 🙄😡

Hoping the lime and straw and destroyed tunnels and no more food will keep them busy somewhere else 😩

Tonight Sia and Daisy made it to bed on their own! Woohoo! 😍 so that huge red coop is their playground haha.

I also had Big Momma Elinor in the house the past 5 days because I saw her struggling to walk and brought her in. I had noticed she was sleeping in the bedding in the coop the night before and both Spider and JoJo were doing that before things went downhill fast so I braced myself for another Nohope situation. :-( She got meds, Vitamin B, Vitamen E, Selenium, and wet mash with poultry cell, egg yolk, egg shells, hemp hearts, and Omegas every day. By day 3 she was standing and sitting like a normal chicken which surprised me. She seemed fine today. I let her walk around the house, she got spooked by the dog and ran with no signs of imbalance, and so I washed her butt and put her back outside. I did feel a small hard ball in her chest—maybe the size of a cherry. It moves around and felt hard like a rock…she’s got really odd bone structure too, her keel isn’t straight or normal shaped and I don’t know how long the lumpy thing has been there. She’s definitely not out of the woods, but she laid an egg and is back to sleeping up on top the nest box tonight. So maybe she just needed a boost? Or she’s just gonna drop dead on me one day without warning. 😩 She did enjoy the one on one treatment though ❤️

Added a cute picture of the ever tolerant Miyuki, one of my d’Anvers sleeping on me and reminding me why I love chickens despite all the sadness, and a picture of Chloe home from the vet and not feeling so super. Fingers crossed for her that the antibiotics do enough for her. She has an enlarged liver that the vet believes is due to a very intense UTI. :-( She’s old though, so there’s concern that the infection might’ve done kidney damage too. She did eat a tiny bit tonight though so that’s a good sign she’s feeling a bit better anyway.

Attachments

• 628542C5-9DC0-48CC-B46B-C16BA425D29D.jpeg
    628542C5-9DC0-48CC-B46B-C16BA425D29D.jpeg
    528 KB · Views: 2
  • FB14DB63-CBE0-4172-A074-7063755B4B5A.jpeg
    FB14DB63-CBE0-4172-A074-7063755B4B5A.jpeg
    468.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 5A819639-99AB-4AA6-A19C-4AD995FC4930.jpeg
    5A819639-99AB-4AA6-A19C-4AD995FC4930.jpeg
    670.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 1792B3B8-ACEA-4C64-8520-9AECFC16F7E9.jpeg
    1792B3B8-ACEA-4C64-8520-9AECFC16F7E9.jpeg
    348.3 KB · Views: 2
Mostly the same. But she is trying to stand more now. And when i pick her up to help her stand, she tries to walk. Which is great!!
Glad to hear she's doing better. Like Popo said, it's a long road to recovery from nutritional deficiency but it sounds like she has the will to get well, which goes a long way.
Did you sort your feed issues out? I'd be interested to hear if you've found a good recipe.

I know!! I was just so incredulous at the giant hole!! It’s really strong plastic! 🙄😡

Hoping the lime and straw and destroyed tunnels and no more food will keep them busy somewhere else 😩

Tonight Sia and Daisy made it to bed on their own! Woohoo! 😍 so that huge red coop is their playground haha.

I also had Big Momma Elinor in the house the past 5 days because I saw her struggling to walk and brought her in. I had noticed she was sleeping in the bedding in the coop the night before and both Spider and JoJo were doing that before things went downhill fast so I braced myself for another Nohope situation. :-( She got meds, Vitamin B, Vitamen E, Selenium, and wet mash with poultry cell, egg yolk, egg shells, hemp hearts, and Omegas every day. By day 3 she was standing and sitting like a normal chicken which surprised me. She seemed fine today. I let her walk around the house, she got spooked by the dog and ran with no signs of imbalance, and so I washed her butt and put her back outside. I did feel a small hard ball in her chest—maybe the size of a cherry. It moves around and felt hard like a rock…she’s got really odd bone structure too, her keel isn’t straight or normal shaped and I don’t know how long the lumpy thing has been there. She’s definitely not out of the woods, but she laid an egg and is back to sleeping up on top the nest box tonight. So maybe she just needed a boost? Or she’s just gonna drop dead on me one day without warning. 😩 She did enjoy the one on one treatment though ❤️

Added a cute picture of the ever tolerant Miyuki, one of my d’Anvers sleeping on me and reminding me why I love chickens despite all the sadness, and a picture of Chloe home from the vet and not feeling so super. Fingers crossed for her that the antibiotics do enough for her. She has an enlarged liver that the vet believes is due to a very intense UTI. :-( She’s old though, so there’s concern that the infection might’ve done kidney damage too. She did eat a tiny bit tonight though so that’s a good sign she’s feeling a bit better anyway.
Ooh, it's making me wonder if your soil is leaching something neuro-toxic after very heavy rain. Or, because of the heavy rain and damp soil, mycotoxins are forming in the feed and bedding. That could explain the broad spectrum of symptoms you're experiencing and mortality rate as there's few direct treatments for mycotoxins, it's all just supportive care. I'm thinking specifically egotism, it has both gangrenous and neurological forms and the ergot is not always visible to the naked eye. Might be worth checking out the pages in Poultry DVM on ergotism specifically and mycotoxins in general? The supportive actions you took for Elinor would be perfect in 'treating' mycotoxins.
Not sure about the hard lump, could be many things. Have you injected her with anything recently? Grace gets a hard marble sized lump every time she has her boosters. If you've injected anything, it could just be her body reacting to it. Usually takes 6-8 wks for it to subside.
Keel bone deformities are common in birds who don't roost as chicks or whose mother has had certain nutritional deficiencies. Having said that, Ferdy has always slept in his bedding at night, he's never roosted on bars but his keel is perfectly formed, so go figure!

Gorgeously cute photos! Your d'anvers is so blissed out, it looks dead 🤣 And Miyuku! Such a good cat, patience of a saint! Sending all my healing thoughts and prayers for Chloe, hope she recovers soon.

How is Nohope doing?

Back
Top Bottom