What did you do with your flock today?

I'm at work, but yesterday I found lots of pill bugs under a piece of cardboard next to the compost pile. My 4 week old bantams now know what "Chick-chick-chick" means! :gig
IMG_20230327_165738586.jpg

And "Blue", who has been acting like a snotty-nosed roo this past week decided that maybe my lap wasn't a bad place to be. He fluttered up on his own, preened, and took a nap.

1000008661.jpg

Found teeny tiny baby mites in the big coop under one of the roost bars when I cleaned out the coops this morning, so a thorough scrub with Total Mite Kill ensued with a follow up dusting of mite and louse powder. It reminded me that they haven't had a dose of invermectin since last September so spent the morning chasing Gladys round as she refuses to be picked up. No such problems with Clara and Ferdy who had their drops administered then decided my shoulder was the place to hang out:
View attachment 3444303
Aww sweet, love those shoulder snugglers ❤️

Here's my heavier shoulder snuggler, Romeo.
20220410_171505.jpg

Had a big scare with him the past few days. I still don't know if he had a seizure of some sort or was bitten by a poisonous spider. He is recovering in the bathtub now along with little Misty Violet. 1st saw him in distress, outside 5 days ago, he was hunkered down where they dustbathe, all by himself. I was walking by with a handful of fresh chickweed. Usually at the sight of that he will jump up, but he just looked up at me & did a pitiful, moaning crow sound. I swear it looked like he was just looking up at me with sad eyes saying "Mommy, Help me!"

I immediately threw the chickweed to everyone else, scooped my poor boy up & brought him in the house, trying to figure out what was ailing him. He couldn't even stand up & was trembling. I could not find any indication or symptom of illness. Eyes, nares, ears & throat perfectly clear, breathing normal, poop looking normal, no apparent injuries... he did have some mites which I addressed. I gently cleaned him & set him up alone, but then he wasn't eating or drinking, unless I held the food & water for him. For 2 days I fed & nurtured him, along with activated charcoal, unflavored pedialite & Sav a Chic probiotics, easy to digest Hentastic pellets made with vitamins, mealworms & oregano which he loved, & live mealworms I breed. He finally could stand up a bit, so I gave him a warm oatmeal & Lavender shampoo & hair dryer while on my lap, he loved it, then put him in with Misty Violet. Both of them pecked at food & drank (1st time he did so, without me having to hold it for him) then they snuggled up together & slept the night. 2 days together & then thank goodness, yesterday, Romeo stood completely up without leaning on something. This morning he let loose a sickly crow, but a crow is a crow! He has been walking gingerly in the tub, eating & drinking on his own, preening & crowing whenever my Roos outside crow. I've been fortunate to be able to work from home mostly the past few days, to check on them often & clean poo, change their snuggle towels, etc. So far so good. I still have no idea what happened to this sweet boy, but I'm grateful he is on the mend.

20230327_180221.jpg

Update on Misty Violet, wound is looking good!
20230323_071815.jpg

Last edited:
They must hang around because visitors feed them. So many! Not so fun when they crow right outside the window at 2:00 am.
Had an odd chirping at 2am before, went outside & found a tiny but surprisingly loud tree Frog, plastered himself right to the bedroom window, belting it out! 😆 I reminded him he is a Tree Frog, & gently relocated him to a tree...not near my bedroom. 😆 🤣 😂

(I wasn't conscious enough at 2am to think of getting my own photo, but this pic is pretty much what I saw...yeah, how could anyone get upset at this little cutie 😄)
A Tree Frog sticking to my window_.jpeg

Just read about something called Chipdrop in another thread. They randomly drop off large loads of wood chips and/or logs from local arborists as they're available. It sounds wonderful and I just signed up. Thought I'd share in case anyone else would find it useful.

https://getchipdrop.com/
I just signed up, thanks for sharing. I don't know if it's in this area, but I will call a few local tree chipping places, too.
I used to buy the large bark chips...they're not available anymore 😕

I'm at work, but yesterday I found lots of pill bugs under a piece of cardboard next to the compost pile. My 4 week old bantams now know what "Chick-chick-chick" means! :gig
View attachment 3446752

And "Blue", who has been acting like a snotty-nosed roo this past week decided that maybe my lap wasn't a bad place to be. He fluttered up on his own, preened, and took a nap.

View attachment 3446753
Gosh I love babies 😍
Had an odd chirping at 2am before, went outside & found a tiny but surprisingly loud tree Frog, plastered himself right to the bedroom window, belting it out! 😆 I reminded him he is a Tree Frog, & gently relocated him to a tree...not near my bedroom. 😆 🤣 😂

(I wasn't conscious enough at 2am to think of getting my own photo, but this pic is pretty much what I saw...yeah, how could anyone get upset at this little cutie 😄)
View attachment 3446866
O so cute! When we first bought the house we're in now I'd never heard the desert toads calling, and their breeding cries were driving me nuts trying to figure out where those crazy sounds were coming from. Just love them now ❤️

I finished my beer can chicken 😂 Didn't quite manage to use up the caulking gun of liquid nails left from my kitchen work. So thinking of making a hen to go with my goofy roo.
20230328_140730.jpg
20230328_140708.jpg
20230328_140649.jpg

I shoulda cropped the pictures eh! Tried to go for a mottled dwarf look ... doesn't really look like a dwarf but I had fun and kinda like him.

View attachment 3446752

View attachment 3446753
What adorable lil babies!

@ChicksnMore absolutely LUV your creation! You got skills!!! Definitely needs a girlfriend!

Back
Top Bottom