What did you do with your flock today?

Eewwwwee! I can't take the spiders yall!!!

Ok here's one if the Buff boys I had such a difficult time getting to live once they hatched! They were all sickly cuz I stupidly had 2 hatches within 5 days each other and thought I was helping by letting the 2nd hatch - all my buffs have the brooder to themselves while the older cochin babies went to the outside brooder to play for 24 hours...not realizing I could bring I'm coccidiosis to the Buff babies! Then one had wry neck and then I lost one of the 5 to failure to thrive.
Anyways...3 outta 4 that lived of course were boys! Lololol
Kept the 2 best lookin ones and have begun working with them.
Meet Sonny!
The one I sold was Sonny and this was Cher...but i just knew it was much too large to be a girl and kept waiting for signs of boy but nothing!
Sold the original Sonny to my brother's wife and the very next morning after that boy was gone don't ya know Cher crowed....so Cher is now my Sonny!
Lolol
Sonny is gorgeous 😍😍😍 I love him!

@ChicksnMore i just realized we haven’t gotten any updated pictures of Snug! How is he and what’s he looking like these days? 😁😁
He's looking about the same ❤️ I'm taking a quick break before I start dinner, but I'll get fresh pictures of him tonight 😃. He's fully integrated with the main flock now so I'll be curious to see if he still lets me scoop him up or not.
We always have a bunch of these ladies around, too. Golden Orbs, they're cool though. 😎
View attachment 3448174
I love the orb weavers too ❤️

Ok here's one if the Buff boys I had such a difficult time getting to live once they hatched! They were all sickly cuz I stupidly had 2 hatches within 5 days each other and thought I was helping by letting the 2nd hatch - all my buffs have the brooder to themselves while the older cochin babies went to the outside brooder to play for 24 hours...not realizing I could bring I'm coccidiosis to the Buff babies! Then one had wry neck and then I lost one of the 5 to failure to thrive.
Meet Sonny!
The one I sold was Sonny and this was Cher...but i just knew it was much too large to be a girl and kept waiting for signs of boy but nothing!
Sold the original Sonny to my brother's wife and the very next morning after that boy was gone don't ya know Cher crowed....so Cher is now my Sonny!
Lolol
Wow what a sweet fluffy 😍
Ain't it though!?!
I could never!
I've said more dirty words than I care to remember just moving the 19 gauge hardware cloth around to try and finish up the new addition!
Man that stuff is awful!!!

Speaking of awful...
So my boys definitely know it is springtime! New addition can't get done soon enough! So ole bootyhead Joey is doing his one year molt meanwhile Bluey is doing major payback to Joey and I noticed his skin on his hind end is red ... not bleeding but very irritated from all the pecking!
Is there something I should put on there to help it so it doesn't get worse?
Mine don't peck each other there so not 100% sure...but I'd definitely keep a close eye at minimum and cream if any broken skin. I've had rabbits go after each other's bums, but never roosters! Smart Bluey...lol.

@kurby22 I got quick pics of Snug...he still let me scoop him up! Am I easily pleased or what? 😂
20230329_165632.jpg
20230329_165617.jpg
20230329_165616.jpg
20230329_165608.jpg

Still not 100% sure what his color genes are. I've been told he's probably silver or maybe cream rather then splash. Going to let him reach maturity though to try to get a better idea. He's from blue Brie and an uncertain hen...but I'm wondering if it's my super pale blue hen or a pale gold hen. I might test it next year. I have no birds on my property that look silver or cream, so whatever color he is, its well hidden in the dwarfs...lol. His similar siblings are both male and coloring up similar. They don't let me scoop em up though so haven't taken pics of them in quite a bit.

See if I can find a pics of the hens quick.
20230221_115047.jpg
20221231_161829.jpg

Those two were both in with Brie and think the gold hen carries Columbian and Snug does too.

And most likely daddy Brie. Not sure I waited the full 30 days before I collected Snugs egg...but he sounds like the most likely dad either way.
20221216_140709.jpg

Last edited:
@kurby22 I got quick pics of Snug...he still let me scoop him up! Am I easily pleased or what? 😂
View attachment 3448602View attachment 3448603View attachment 3448604View attachment 3448605
Still not 100% sure what his color genes are. I've been told he's probably silver or maybe cream rather then splash. Going to let him reach maturity though to try to get a better idea. He's from blue Brie and an uncertain hen...but I'm wondering if it's my super pale blue hen or a pale gold hen. I might test it next year. I have no birds on my property that look silver or cream, so whatever color he is, its well hidden in the dwarfs...lol. His similar siblings are both male and coloring up similar. They don't let me scoop em up though so haven't taken pics of them in quite a bit.

See if I can find a pics of the hens quick.View attachment 3448624View attachment 3448627
Those two were both in with Brie and think the gold hen carries Columbian and Snug does too.

And most likely daddy Brie. Not sure I waited the full 30 days before I collected Snugs egg...but he sounds like the most likely dad either way.View attachment 3448647
Oh he’s super pretty!

View attachment 3448602View attachment 3448603View attachment 3448604View attachment 3448605

See if I can find a pics of the hens quick.View attachment 3448624View attachment 3448627

And most likely daddy Brie. Not sure I waited the full 30 days before I collected Snugs egg...but he sounds like the most likely dad either way.View attachment 3448647
Brie is a pretty boy! I’ve just never seen an OD with that Columbian pattern! I bet his mature feathering will be fun! 😍 thanks for the pictures!

We always have a bunch of these ladies around, too. Golden Orbs, they're cool though. 😎
View attachment 3448174
So beautiful! I had a Garden Orb spider set up home in my kitchen last year. She was enormous by their standard, probably because I insisted on feeding her, much to DH's bemusement 😂

Meet Sonny!
Lolol
How gorgeous! He's so lovely and chill with you 😍

Ain't it though!?!
I could never!
I've said more dirty words than I care to remember just moving the 19 gauge hardware cloth around to try and finish up the new addition!
Man that stuff is awful!!!

Speaking of awful...
So my boys definitely know it is springtime! New addition can't get done soon enough! So ole bootyhead Joey is doing his one year molt meanwhile Bluey is doing major payback to Joey and I noticed his skin on his hind end is red ... not bleeding but very irritated from all the pecking!
Is there something I should put on there to help it so it doesn't get worse?
Feather pecking isn't something I've ever really had issues with but whenever I've introduced a bird I've smothered them with anti-peck spray which has seemed to stop issues before they start. Must taste absolutely disgusting as one peck and the assailant gives up.

You could apply a water-based emollient cream or Blue Kote but I wouldn't use anything oil or petroleum based as it may stop his new feathers coming in properly.

They are all so beautiful! Snug has such gorgeous colouring and it's just going to get better as he matures. Are ODs' as big as bantam Cochin? Just wondering how much space they might need....🤔

Back
Top Bottom