What did you do with your flock today?

About an hour before sunset yesterday I finally let my new cockerels meet my pullets face to face. There were a few little skirmishes, but nothing that caused injury.

They all seemed to get along with the hex fence separating them, so I figured I'd give first contact a try. I decided that out in the open would be best so they could run and hide if they felt the need. I tossed out some scratch and fed them some treats as a distraction.

Overall, I think it was a success. But for now, seems the pullets rule the roost. LOL

The cockerels have been in the coop. When I opened it up they didn't come out until I let out the pullets and threw down some scratch.

IMG_1365.JPG

So far, so good...

IMG_1368.JPG

The boys separated from the girls, but it might have been that they just wanted to eat some greens.

IMG_1379.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

Then the tussles began...

IMG_1384.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1386.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

This guy got a little payback. LOL

IMG_1414.JPG

They were civil most of the time...

IMG_1415.JPG

But not always. Was this one just asserting dominance or trying to mate???

IMG_1417.JPG

And after all that, they still seemed to get along over the scratch pile. Mostly.

IMG_1433.JPG

When it was almost dark I coaxed the pullets into their run area. The cockerels jumped up on the wooden fence next to the coop, then the subordinate one jumped down and hopped into his coop. After a bit I picked up the remaining one from the fence, carried him around a little and put him into the coop and closed it up for the night.

IMG_1438.JPG

The hens acted really strange in the run after the encounter. They were all piled up in the front corner closest to the coop, like they all really wanted to be with their new flockmates.

All in all, I think it was a successful meeting.

IMG_1428.JPG

Last edited:
The girl with the mushy crop. Check it first thing in the morning before giving any food to see if it's emptied overnight. If it hasn't, try to smell her breath, a sour smell in combination with a squishy crop indicates sour crop which is easily treated with nystatin or micronazole.

Sounds like the pullet with the prominent breast bone might not be getting enough to eat? She may be low in the pecking order and being bullied off the food. It could also be various medical problems. Is she showing any symptoms of illness?
The first thing I'd do is weigh her and check her weight against the show standards of her breed. That will give you an idea if she is actually underweight.
I'd consider separating her a few times a day to feed her several small meals. Something nutritious like boiled or scrambled eggs, a few sunflower seeds (high calorie so don't go overboard), a mash with added vitamins or even baby food. Leave her with her flock the rest of the time. See if this improves things.
Are they living outside yet and have you wormed them?
They have been outside for a while now. I didn't know you had to worm them. I'm on vacation now so I will be getting everything done ASAP. I feed them a lot of food. It's chick medicated starter feed and some meal worm and sunflower mix.

They have been outside for a while now. I didn't know you had to worm them. I'm on vacation now so I will be getting everything done ASAP. I feed them a lot of food. It's chick medicated starter feed and some meal worm and sunflower mix.
I personally think it is a bit early (14 weeks?) to deworm them unless they are showing signs. I do believe in deworming them pre POL. So 18-19 weeks, then winters when they slow lay and/or the peak of summer as needed. It really helps them out IMO. Give biotics and vits as need.

About an hour before sunset yesterday I finally let my new cockerels meet my pullets face to face. There were a few little skirmishes, but nothing that caused injury.

They all seemed to get along with the hex fence separating them, so I figured I'd give first contact a try. I decided that out in the open would be best so they could run and hide if they felt the need. I tossed out some scratch and fed them some treats as a distraction.

Overall, I think it was a success. But for now, seems the pullets rule the roost. LOL

The cockerels have been in the coop. When I opened it up they didn't come out until I let out the pullets and threw down some scratch.

View attachment 3537732

So far, so good...

View attachment 3537745

The boys separated from the girls, but it might have been that they just wanted to eat some greens.

View attachment 3537750

View attachment 3537752

Then the tussles began...

View attachment 3537754

View attachment 3537755

View attachment 3537756

View attachment 3537757

This guy got a little payback. LOL

View attachment 3537758

They were civil most of the time...

View attachment 3537759

But not always. Was this one just asserting dominance or trying to mate???

View attachment 3537760

And after all that, they still seemed to get along over the scratch pile. Mostly.

View attachment 3537761

When it was almost dark I coaxed the pullets into their run area. The cockerels jumped up on the wooden fence next to the coop, then the subordinate one jumped down and hopped into his coop. After a bit I picked up the remaining one from the fence, carried him around a little and put him into the coop and closed it up for the night.

View attachment 3537765

The hens acted really strange in the run after the encounter. They were all piled up in the front corner closest to the coop, like they all really wanted to be with their new flockmates.

All in all, I think it was a successful meeting.

View attachment 3537764
Good your girls give them a few whallops. Main whallop-er must be the lead gal or matriarch in training. They are teaching and earning respect. The smart boy that shows respect will most likely be their choice. Hopefully second boy excepts his secondary roll and all is well.

Flock looks good. 👍

Boys are young. Expect them to be.... let's just say awkward dorks to be kind.
When they do the rooster bloom, as I like to call it, they will be stunning. 🐓

@kurby22 .... where are our photos of the stocked new coops?!!! :pop
I only have one side filled right now, but they are loving it!! :-D Shade cloth is up so they don’t bake and I had to add some mesh because they’re still small enough to fit through the run fence. But otherwise they’re good to go! :)

Attachments

• 768FD919-392B-4686-8CC3-A6043C977707.jpeg
    768FD919-392B-4686-8CC3-A6043C977707.jpeg
    982 KB · Views: 5
  • E695E0AB-A529-4C40-A4B0-E4D494E0BA42.jpeg
    E695E0AB-A529-4C40-A4B0-E4D494E0BA42.jpeg
    954.5 KB · Views: 4
  • E89EBA6F-65E7-4DDA-BDD0-F23058818679.jpeg
    E89EBA6F-65E7-4DDA-BDD0-F23058818679.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 70C7E330-4796-4133-9747-76EBAF18F1FD.jpeg
    70C7E330-4796-4133-9747-76EBAF18F1FD.jpeg
    525.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 2F494253-D7D6-4B97-B583-1C057B0FDE6F.jpeg
    2F494253-D7D6-4B97-B583-1C057B0FDE6F.jpeg
    777.9 KB · Views: 4
  • D9BA86EF-8AB1-474A-A2FF-2685B602BA3D.jpeg
    D9BA86EF-8AB1-474A-A2FF-2685B602BA3D.jpeg
    577.6 KB · Views: 5
I only have one side filled right now, but they are loving it!! :-D Shade cloth is up so they don’t bake and I had to add some mesh because they’re still small enough to fit through the run fence. But otherwise they’re good to go! :)
Looking terrific, thank you so much for sharing in your triumph!!! What a thrill/luxury to have EXTRA room for a little while, lol. A brief moment of feeling like you got it all handled ( :gigYa know, b4 life hits :th) and a well earned and deserved win!!! 🎉🎉🎉🎉
Your babies got big fast ♡♡♡ . Are these for sale, or part of your breeding program?

Looking terrific, thank you so much for sharing in your triumph!!! What a thrill/luxury to have EXTRA room for a little while, lol. A brief moment of feeling like you got it all handled ( :gigYa know, b4 life hits :th) and a well earned and deserved win!!! 🎉🎉🎉🎉
Your babies got big fast ♡♡♡ . Are these for sale, or part of your breeding program?
Yeah it’s really nice having everything outside now too!! 😆

Some are for breeding and some are for selling! And a couple are for yard art 😁😁

Good your girls give them a few whallops. Main whallop-er must be the lead gal or matriarch in training. They are teaching and earning respect. The smart boy that shows respect will most likely be their choice. Hopefully second boy excepts his secondary roll and all is well.

Flock looks good. 👍

Boys are young. Expect them to be.... let's just say awkward dorks to be kind.
When they do the rooster bloom, as I like to call it, they will be stunning. 🐓
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom