What did you do with your flock today?

K. I plan on still making some cat trees- gathering my supplies while I write- but bought this one the other day, it is pretty affordable and well engineered. Our foster kitties are like the perfect cat tree models for it Don't cha think? ♡♡♡
20220116_174812.jpg

20220116_174922.jpg
20220117_181743~2.jpg

Well, I had fun watching the talented trio anyways ♡♡♡

K. I plan on still making some cat trees- gathering my supplies while I write- but bought this one the other day, it is pretty affordable and well engineered. Our foster kitties are like the perfect cat tree models for it Don't cha think? ♡♡♡
View attachment 2965338
View attachment 2965337View attachment 2965335
Well, I had fun watching the talented trio anyways ♡♡♡
On top of everything else you do, you also foster kittens. You're amazing!!!!!

And, yes, they are adorable 🥰

On top of everything else you do, you also foster kittens. You're amazing!!!!!

And, yes, they are adorable 🥰
The foster zombies are pretty fun now that the hard work is just about done. Very rewarding ♡♡♡ As much as I enjoy them I am looking forward to them going to their forever home so they can bond with their person. They are at such a great age now. Soon-ish :fl:fl:fl I do need a little break b4 I take on my next batch though. Think I'd like to start trapping again. Get some kittens off the streets and in a safer place. Nice not having a real job 😉😉😉

Seems like the lot of you are having fun with your chickens. My chickens in the winter are fairly boring. They will stick to inside the coop when it is below 40F. It is a constant battle to keep their food and water clean because the LOVE to fling their bedding around. Oh, well. I love them so much I do not mind. Though I did get a surprise egg from one of my hens! I know the adventure awaits around the corner as soon warmer weather arrives... and all the snow gone, lol.

Seems like the lot of you are having fun with your chickens. My chickens in the winter are fairly boring. They will stick to inside the coop when it is below 40F. It is a constant battle to keep their food and water clean because the LOVE to fling their bedding around. Oh, well. I love them so much I do not mind. Though I did get a surprise egg from one of my hens! I know the adventure awaits around the corner as soon warmer weather arrives... and all the snow gone, lol.
Haha your chickens sound like they’d prefer living further south! 🙃 Mine also LOVE to fling bedding everywhere! I also have a bin that I scoop poop into and then dump when it’s full…but they’ve taken to dumping it over every day this week which sort of defeats the purpose! 🙄😁

Okay, I wanted to enlist y’all’s help…I have a new egg layer but I’m not sure who laid it! 😆 I have seen Elinor in the nest box and she has been laying a fairly light brown egg which I expected form an Orpington…but the other box was visited by at least 4 different chickens. The one that was in the box the longest was Ms Frizzle…but the color confuses me! So it’s one of two things—either Ms Frizzle isn’t full Cochin OR someone slipped in and laid an egg that I missed! See what you think…?

44B2F188-688D-471D-9E22-331517DBBAD8.jpeg

So as far as I understand the frizzle gene, if a chicken shows frizzle feathers they are dominant for it. So if I know the mom was smooth blue cochin, then the father passed on the frizzle gene right? And if that is the case—then the father had to be a frizzle black Cochin—based on the breeds the breeder had at the time (she had a Cochin get out that had relations with several of her breeder roosters 😆). So my theory has been that Ms Frizzle is full breed Cochin. Can Marans, Langshans, or Isbars be frizzled? I’ve not seen it and I’m assuming the breeder would have to have a rooster that’s frizzled in order to get a frizzle…and she only has the one black frizzle Cochin. Therefore, the egg she lays should be a typical Cochin color yes? Like the one below?

922E1356-C40D-4020-93ED-B1451D742819.jpeg

This was the egg I THOUGHT she laid yesterday…it’s a shade darker than the ones my Orp has been laying so I assumed it was from Ms Frizzle. However! Today the box I’d seen her in had this egg…

D9D60D4B-5249-4A0E-89E5-B6C93308DC2F.jpeg

Which to me…looks more influenced by a Marans egg color?? Like it would be part Marans and part Cochin blending to make a softer chocolate color. And if this was Ms Frizzle…is this just a weird dark egg from a Cochin? Haha I know I’m over thinking things and it really doesn’t matter, but it’s super pretty and in the light looks almost a bit purple and I’m very curious who laid it! 😍

The other two girls that came from the “slutty hen” as the breeder put it…are also close to POL and have been checking out the boxes but none has really stayed like Ms Frizzle. Mumble to me, looks Cochin-Marans or Cochin-Langshan. She’s so pretty and when she stands upright she makes that classic U-shape of a Langshan…but it’s anyones guess!
5EE774D7-699D-4C8C-8FCA-5EA2430D0367.jpeg

Or it’s Aria Jr. who until very recently was clean legged, but now has a few sad looking leg feathers. She’s an interesting splash color because it doesn’t look black and white…and it’s not super obvious. So my initial guess was that she was Cochin-Isbar…due to the barely feathered legs…but she could also be a Cochin-Marans.
FC6E259E-C8A1-47E9-811B-62402AEBB09C.jpeg

So! Just curious what the group thinks…just for fun. I’m obviously hard at work today…😆 I’m just super “eggcited” that I’m getting more eggs! 🎉🎉

Attachments

• 961E9E4B-586B-4159-B52A-A730C58A6B34.jpeg
    961E9E4B-586B-4159-B52A-A730C58A6B34.jpeg
    974.8 KB · Views: 1
Haha your chickens sound like they’d prefer living further south! 🙃 Mine also LOVE to fling bedding everywhere! I also have a bin that I scoop poop into and then dump when it’s full…but they’ve taken to dumping it over every day this week which sort of defeats the purpose! 🙄😁
They'll be happy when spring comes. Though they're free range they tend to stick to the front porch or under the lilac tree. Last year, the broke into my garden and made tunnels out of my tomato plants.

Okay, I wanted to enlist y’all’s help…I have a new egg layer but I’m not sure who laid it! 😆 I have seen Elinor in the nest box and she has been laying a fairly light brown egg which I expected form an Orpington…but the other box was visited by at least 4 different chickens. The one that was in the box the longest was Ms Frizzle…but the color confuses me! So it’s one of two things—either Ms Frizzle isn’t full Cochin OR someone slipped in and laid an egg that I missed! See what you think…?

View attachment 2966014

So as far as I understand the frizzle gene, if a chicken shows frizzle feathers they are dominant for it. So if I know the mom was smooth blue cochin, then the father passed on the frizzle gene right? And if that is the case—then the father had to be a frizzle black Cochin—based on the breeds the breeder had at the time (she had a Cochin get out that had relations with several of her breeder roosters 😆). So my theory has been that Ms Frizzle is full breed Cochin. Can Marans, Langshans, or Isbars be frizzled? I’ve not seen it and I’m assuming the breeder would have to have a rooster that’s frizzled in order to get a frizzle…and she only has the one black frizzle Cochin. Therefore, the egg she lays should be a typical Cochin color yes? Like the one below?

View attachment 2966001
This was the egg I THOUGHT she laid yesterday…it’s a shade darker than the ones my Orp has been laying so I assumed it was from Ms Frizzle. However! Today the box I’d seen her in had this egg…

View attachment 2966002
Which to me…looks more influenced by a Marans egg color?? Like it would be part Marans and part Cochin blending to make a softer chocolate color. And if this was Ms Frizzle…is this just a weird dark egg from a Cochin? Haha I know I’m over thinking things and it really doesn’t matter, but it’s super pretty and in the light looks almost a bit purple and I’m very curious who laid it! 😍

The other two girls that came from the “slutty hen” as the breeder put it…are also close to POL and have been checking out the boxes but none has really stayed like Ms Frizzle. Mumble to me, looks Cochin-Marans or Cochin-Langshan. She’s so pretty and when she stands upright she makes that classic U-shape of a Langshan…but it’s anyones guess!
View attachment 2966011
Or it’s Aria Jr. who until very recently was clean legged, but now has a few sad looking leg feathers. She’s an interesting splash color because it doesn’t look black and white…and it’s not super obvious. So my initial guess was that she was Cochin-Isbar…due to the barely feathered legs…but she could also be a Cochin-Marans.
View attachment 2966017

So! Just curious what the group thinks…just for fun. I’m obviously hard at work today…😆 I’m just super “eggcited” that I’m getting more eggs! 🎉🎉
Your babies are beautiful 😍💕

Back
Top Bottom