What did you do with your flock today?

@ChicksnMore & @FBMcrazy8
Look for you bags in Wednesdays mail. Sorry I cut it so close CnM. I had a heck of a time hitting our PO when open. Worse than banking hours with hour lunches being a rural area and all.

View attachment 3266841
1 hatch & 7 pips. Going to be a busy night ♡ think this is rsl x b brahma.

Made my first solo down hill on Boo. So freeing to be able to travel without using or worrying about using a ton of gas ⛽😝 take that big oil. Filled my tank for $10 and I should be good for 4 up and downs. Almost the same with my little truck but that cost $80 to fill and I feel guilty driving unless it is absolutely necessary.

Hope is still on the upswing. Looking forward to her feeling 100%. Right now she will only eat chopped meat, tomatoes and bananas 😄🙄 and she gobbles that up. She is probably faking sick lol.
Yay for babies hatching!! Can’t wait to see them all fluffed up! 😍

How awesome to save so much in gas! It hurts every time I fill my gas tank these days 😩

I’m glad Hope is looking like she’s feeling better! I am sure she’s considering faking ill for much longer though with meals like that 😆😆 I know I would! 😁

So I discovered today when looking closer at the new chicks I got a couple weeks ago that were from my bantam chickens…that the dad for at least one of them is Nohope 😳😳 I did not realize he was already fertile and active a month ago! I guess it’s time to force him to move in with the big kids. He’s way too big to be mounting teeny bantam hens! 😟

So Ariana Sushi I thought was a bantam Cochin splash…but the feathers growing in look like they are barred…and only Nohope is barred! Plus Ariana Sushi has feathered legs and no sign of any beard…which seems to eliminate all my clean legged hens and feathered ladies with beards. That leaves Bella my bantam light Brahma as the only momma. I’ve never seen a bantam Brahma-English Orpington cross! 🧐 not sure what to expect! But it would explain why she is half the size of her hatch mates…both breeds are slow maturing and slow feathering. I’m very curious to see how things progress!

Attachments

• 61F66AA2-DF23-4D59-BD30-01CC9084B6CA.jpeg
    61F66AA2-DF23-4D59-BD30-01CC9084B6CA.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DC83A623-DE7D-45E5-A76A-116CE4803981.jpeg
    DC83A623-DE7D-45E5-A76A-116CE4803981.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 96E104E6-2335-4F69-A9BE-12E70ABD3872.jpeg
    96E104E6-2335-4F69-A9BE-12E70ABD3872.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 0
@ChicksnMore & @FBMcrazy8
Look for you bags in Wednesdays mail. Sorry I cut it so close CnM. I had a heck of a time hitting our PO when open. Worse than banking hours with hour lunches being a rural area and all.

View attachment 3266841
1 hatch & 7 pips. Going to be a busy night ♡ think this is rsl x b brahma.

Made my first solo down hill on Boo. So freeing to be able to travel without using or worrying about using a ton of gas ⛽😝 take that big oil. Filled my tank for $10 and I should be good for 4 up and downs. Almost the same with my little truck but that cost $80 to fill and I feel guilty driving unless it is absolutely necessary.

Hope is still on the upswing. Looking forward to her feeling 100%. Right now she will only eat chopped meat, tomatoes and bananas 😄🙄 and she gobbles that up. She is probably faking sick lol.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! I’m glad to be reading that Hope is doing better!

As of 10:30 last eve- 5 hatched ♡♡♡
93327.jpeg

And then there are these  guys... ahem, gals.
20220920_151247.jpg
20220920_151024.jpg

Hopefully their people have finished their new coop and are ready to pick them up this weekend. These chicks have been a pleasure ♡ I hope they have a wonderful life in their big beautiful place on the east side of isle. Pretty nice. I often wonder if someone will adopt me as their chick nanny... could happen right? 😂

They only roost in the upper rafters of one coop.
So your cochins do this too! OMGeeze they are growing and so chunky and still flying to the rafters up bout 10'!!! IF...only I put them in the coop on the roost bar just as it goes dark! Last night took us 3 tries! Ugh
And yeah they definitely stay to themselves!
So Ariana Sushi I thought was a bantam Cochin splash…but the feathers growing in look like they are barred…and only Nohope is barred!
Oh she's gonna be a cutie!!!
I often wonder if someone will adopt me as their chick nanny... could happen right? 😂
Awesome idea right!?
I wish like @FBMcrazy8 we could do this with chickens! Wouldn't that be cool to have "studd" services! But with biosecurity I guess that would never really work!?

Oh fun! As The Coops Turn is in your future! 😆 I have had to work pretty hard to make sure everyone blends well and sometimes it takes a bit of forced hand and other times they figure it out themselves. 😆 Both options are entertaining in some way or another. Depending on breed and personality they are either cliques or assimilate in my experience! For example, my ODs are in the bantam run and they are their own little Swedish posse. I brought home the Swedish Hedemora pullet and put her in with my Brahma and d’Uccle and silkies and she said no thanks, and ditched them for the ODs! She’s now head hen of the Swedish posse and pecks each OD in the head as the come into the coop each night. 😆

Millie and Bella were the pullets I got at the poultry show and they bonded from being lonely for their old friends and pretty much accept everyone into their coop! That included Sia, Cher, all three of my bantam EEs, Ruby, and Roxy and Nohope the huge birds that make them seem soooo small. In the run all of them intermingle but do have their own little cliques. The EEs and Ruby are a gang, Bella and Millie, and Roxy and Nohope. It is clear Ruby is the lowest rooster in the group and he always eats last and is chased the most. And no one challenges Bruno despite how HUGE Nohope is he still runs and hides when pecked by all of them 😆

The big run has a lot more drama and co-mingling and alliances (Survivor reference 😆). When I first started integrating I always let out the lowest on the totem pole first. They would get 10 mins or so to get water, search for treats, and get their bearings…and then I’d let out the older chickens. This helped a LOT with integration. Someone on here recommended it after I asked for help because the older chickens were being so mean. Once I swapped who came out first the problems ended and everyone seemed to get along just fine. The connection they make with who they grew up with seems to be stronger than being with their own kind…and then age seems to be the next level of splitting they do. The silkies eschew all rules…they do what they want and everyone accepts it 😆 Except Charlie. She’s head honcho and she reminds Betty every once in awhile that she’s not to get too bossy or big headed! Otherwise they roost where they want, they take nest boxes and other chickens eggs to brood whenever they want, and seem to have little care where they sleep as long as it’s dry and comfy :) The two Polish hang together and stay with the two Ameraucana pullets they shared a coop with as babies…but the Ameraucanas seem to have decided they’re not all that close and now the Polish seem to sort of be on their own now. The bantam Cochins though? They are a MAJOR clique…they hang out with only each other, they’re sassy to all other chickens that dare come across them, and they only let Emilio their rooster brother mate them. Where one is, the other three are. They are indeed the Brad Pack even without their amazing leader Brad (RIP) ❤️ They only roost in the upper rafters of one coop. They still accept new chickens in the run, but they do not form alliances or friendships with any of them! It’s pretty fascinating watching them all. Today I opened up the closed teenager coop for an hour of supervised integration and I was so amused at all the noises they were all making. So much quiet clucking and chattering and “discussing” going on 😆 It went pretty well considering! Spider is often the meanest to newbies and he was just fine, and Marshmallow who is usually the nicest was a bit of a brat! So she clearly wants them knowing she will be above them in the pecking order 😆😆 No one else cares about them and sort of just went about doing their things. Chicken dynamics is so entertaining to me! They all mainly coop up with their “groups” but some…mainly the Polish and silkies…do what they want and go where they please. Partly from derpy unawareness and partly from sassy “I do what I want-ness” 😆
I can't imagine not having chickens to ponder and analyze and write about 🤣

Oh my goodness... RAIN! Congratulations ☔🌨 a miracle ♡

So your cochins do this too! OMGeeze they are growing and so chunky and still flying to the rafters up bout 10'!!! IF...only I put them in the coop on the roost bar just as it goes dark! Last night took us 3 tries! Ugh
And yeah they definitely stay to themselves!

Oh she's gonna be a cutie!!!

Awesome idea right!?
I wish like @FBMcrazy8 we could do this with chickens! Wouldn't that be cool to have "studd" services! But with biosecurity I guess that would never really work!?
I have lent out a cockerel for a month once. Was hoping the guy would fall in love, and he did but brought him back just the same 🤣😂😂😭😭😭😭

So I discovered today when looking closer at the new chicks I got a couple weeks ago that were from my bantam chickens…that the dad for at least one of them is Nohope 😳😳 I did not realize he was already fertile and active a month ago! I guess it’s time to force him to move in with the big kids. He’s way too big to be mounting teeny bantam hens! 😟

So Ariana Sushi I thought was a bantam Cochin splash…but the feathers growing in look like they are barred…and only Nohope is barred! Plus Ariana Sushi has feathered legs and no sign of any beard…which seems to eliminate all my clean legged hens and feathered ladies with beards. That leaves Bella my bantam light Brahma as the only momma. I’ve never seen a bantam Brahma-English Orpington cross! 🧐 not sure what to expect! But it would explain why she is half the size of her hatch mates…both breeds are slow maturing and slow feathering. I’m very curious to see how things progress!
Cute! Bars or splashes :love

Back
Top Bottom