What did you do with your flock today?

As of 10:30 last eve- 5 hatched ♡♡♡
View attachment 3266995
And then there are these  guys... ahem, gals.View attachment 3267002View attachment 3267003
Hopefully their people have finished their new coop and are ready to pick them up this weekend. These chicks have been a pleasure ♡ I hope they have a wonderful life in their big beautiful place on the east side of isle. Pretty nice. I often wonder if someone will adopt me as their chick nanny... could happen right? 😂
They are so pretty!!! Looks like you have a pretty good hatch going!

So your cochins do this too! OMGeeze they are growing and so chunky and still flying to the rafters up bout 10'!!! IF...only I put them in the coop on the roost bar just as it goes dark! Last night took us 3 tries! Ugh
And yeah they definitely stay to themselves!

Oh she's gonna be a cutie!!!

Awesome idea right!?
I wish like @FBMcrazy8 we could do this with chickens! Wouldn't that be cool to have "studd" services! But with biosecurity I guess that would never really work!?
That would be cool to do though!!

I wanted to show you all my daughters Homecoming dress! We found her some shoes too and some jewelry to go with it! I blacked out her face because I need to protect her as best as I can.

Attachments

• ED8FA863-0F12-46D3-89E3-7DE019313787.jpeg
    ED8FA863-0F12-46D3-89E3-7DE019313787.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 4
@ChicksnMore & @FBMcrazy8
Look for you bags in Wednesdays mail. Sorry I cut it so close CnM. I had a heck of a time hitting our PO when open. Worse than banking hours with hour lunches being a rural area and all.

View attachment 3266841
1 hatch & 7 pips. Going to be a busy night ♡ think this is rsl x b brahma.

Made my first solo down hill on Boo. So freeing to be able to travel without using or worrying about using a ton of gas ⛽😝 take that big oil. Filled my tank for $10 and I should be good for 4 up and downs. Almost the same with my little truck but that cost $80 to fill and I feel guilty driving unless it is absolutely necessary.

Hope is still on the upswing. Looking forward to her feeling 100%. Right now she will only eat chopped meat, tomatoes and bananas 😄🙄 and she gobbles that up. She is probably faking sick lol.
Yay and thank you! Along with your wonderful tutorial I know I'll be able to make some ❤️ I love being able to physically look something over when trying to recreate it!

Lucky Hope! I'm not telling Schultz about Hopes meals... he'd probably give me the stink eye and demand I at least scramble an egg for him 😂
Oh fun! As The Coops Turn is in your future! 😆 I have had to work pretty hard to make sure everyone blends well and sometimes it takes a bit of forced hand and other times they figure it out themselves. 😆 Both options are entertaining in some way or another. Depending on breed and personality they are either cliques or assimilate in my experience! For example, my ODs are in the bantam run and they are their own little Swedish posse. I brought home the Swedish Hedemora pullet and put her in with my Brahma and d’Uccle and silkies and she said no thanks, and ditched them for the ODs! She’s now head hen of the Swedish posse and pecks each OD in the head as the come into the coop each night. 😆

Millie and Bella were the pullets I got at the poultry show and they bonded from being lonely for their old friends and pretty much accept everyone into their coop! That included Sia, Cher, all three of my bantam EEs, Ruby, and Roxy and Nohope the huge birds that make them seem soooo small. In the run all of them intermingle but do have their own little cliques. The EEs and Ruby are a gang, Bella and Millie, and Roxy and Nohope. It is clear Ruby is the lowest rooster in the group and he always eats last and is chased the most. And no one challenges Bruno despite how HUGE Nohope is he still runs and hides when pecked by all of them 😆

The big run has a lot more drama and co-mingling and alliances (Survivor reference 😆). When I first started integrating I always let out the lowest on the totem pole first. They would get 10 mins or so to get water, search for treats, and get their bearings…and then I’d let out the older chickens. This helped a LOT with integration. Someone on here recommended it after I asked for help because the older chickens were being so mean. Once I swapped who came out first the problems ended and everyone seemed to get along just fine. The connection they make with who they grew up with seems to be stronger than being with their own kind…and then age seems to be the next level of splitting they do. The silkies eschew all rules…they do what they want and everyone accepts it 😆 Except Charlie. She’s head honcho and she reminds Betty every once in awhile that she’s not to get too bossy or big headed! Otherwise they roost where they want, they take nest boxes and other chickens eggs to brood whenever they want, and seem to have little care where they sleep as long as it’s dry and comfy :) The two Polish hang together and stay with the two Ameraucana pullets they shared a coop with as babies…but the Ameraucanas seem to have decided they’re not all that close and now the Polish seem to sort of be on their own now. The bantam Cochins though? They are a MAJOR clique…they hang out with only each other, they’re sassy to all other chickens that dare come across them, and they only let Emilio their rooster brother mate them. Where one is, the other three are. They are indeed the Brad Pack even without their amazing leader Brad (RIP) ❤️ They only roost in the upper rafters of one coop. They still accept new chickens in the run, but they do not form alliances or friendships with any of them! It’s pretty fascinating watching them all. Today I opened up the closed teenager coop for an hour of supervised integration and I was so amused at all the noises they were all making. So much quiet clucking and chattering and “discussing” going on 😆 It went pretty well considering! Spider is often the meanest to newbies and he was just fine, and Marshmallow who is usually the nicest was a bit of a brat! So she clearly wants them knowing she will be above them in the pecking order 😆😆 No one else cares about them and sort of just went about doing their things. Chicken dynamics is so entertaining to me! They all mainly coop up with their “groups” but some…mainly the Polish and silkies…do what they want and go where they please. Partly from derpy unawareness and partly from sassy “I do what I want-ness” 😆
I get such a kick out of the Hedemora pecking them to bed...I'm not sure the chickens feel this way, but that sounds so mom like 🤣 All your bird dynamics sound fun...bet it's easy to just blink and an hour's gone when you're watching them.
So I discovered today when looking closer at the new chicks I got a couple weeks ago that were from my bantam chickens…that the dad for at least one of them is Nohope 😳😳 I did not realize he was already fertile and active a month ago! I guess it’s time to force him to move in with the big kids. He’s way too big to be mounting teeny bantam hens! 😟

So Ariana Sushi I thought was a bantam Cochin splash…but the feathers growing in look like they are barred…and only Nohope is barred! Plus Ariana Sushi has feathered legs and no sign of any beard…which seems to eliminate all my clean legged hens and feathered ladies with beards. That leaves Bella my bantam light Brahma as the only momma. I’ve never seen a bantam Brahma-English Orpington cross! 🧐 not sure what to expect! But it would explain why she is half the size of her hatch mates…both breeds are slow maturing and slow feathering. I’m very curious to see how things progress!
O that's funny! Poor lil banty must have co-operated for that to work! I'm looking forward to seeing how she grows...she's sure a pretty girl!
As of 10:30 last eve- 5 hatched ♡♡♡
View attachment 3266995
And then there are these  guys... ahem, gals.View attachment 3267002View attachment 3267003
Hopefully their people have finished their new coop and are ready to pick them up this weekend. These chicks have been a pleasure ♡ I hope they have a wonderful life in their big beautiful place on the east side of isle. Pretty nice. I often wonder if someone will adopt me as their chick nanny... could happen right? 😂
Look at all those babies! 😍😍😍 You'd definitely make a great chick nanny ❤️❤️❤️
So your cochins do this too! OMGeeze they are growing and so chunky and still flying to the rafters up bout 10'!!! IF...only I put them in the coop on the roost bar just as it goes dark! Last night took us 3 tries! Ugh
And yeah they definitely stay to themselves!

Oh she's gonna be a cutie!!!

Awesome idea right!?
I wish like @FBMcrazy8 we could do this with chickens! Wouldn't that be cool to have "studd" services! But with biosecurity I guess that would never really work!?
Your guys cochins sound so adorable 😍 I think once I have all my coops done and have sorted my birds into them, I'll add a couple cochin hens for fun. My oldest has been cooing over their fluffy butts for the last year too...lol.

Kinda Graphic so please read with caution:

So now for the not so good stuff. I’m still trying to process it all. And I know this is more about flocks but you all have been supportive of my daughter and her cheer. I don’t really have anyone to talk to and even though I haven’t met you all, I feel comfortable talking to you all. I wish with all by being that I could have protected her more. I wish I didn’t send her on the bus yesterday. She was running behind and I helped her hurry and get her shoes on. I should have just taken her myself. But then I think to myself, I shouldn’t feel this way. The bus SHOULD have had an aid the bus. Why have disabled chicken on a bus with out an aid? What if something goes wrong and the bus driver doesn’t see it or is distracted from the road? Well the bus driver didn’t see it and he didn’t even hear it. And I don’t understand. I’m still trying to process a LOT of this. Her “boyfriend” was always sweet to her. Walked her off the bus, whenever she was upset he helped her, he drew pictures of him saving her, he would walk her out of class if I came to pick her up. All the teachers are dumbfounded by him doing such a thing to her. But I believe that the other boy involved had WAY more to do with it. It started off by the boys talking about adult stuff, and then rock, paper, scissors as to who was going to do it to her. Like what??? She isn’t an object. She isn’t just there for your fun and games. She is a human being that deserves respect. I do believe her “boyfriend” was pressured into it but he lost. He hurt her. It isn’t as bad as it could have been but none the less, I’m sickened and my daughter is hurt. All these kids have disabilities. And I don’t know there complete understanding of what they did, like did they fully get what they did to her? But the DA thought they did enough to charge her “boyfriend” with a class X felony. Now this boy is only 14/15 years old. The other boy might only be charged with a misdemeanor. I feel he is just as responsible and should be charged the same. If there had been an aid on the bus, all 3 of these young lives would be different. Their lives wouldn’t be turned upside down.

My daughter is doing ok. She had to go through a rap kit, even though it was just fingers. But she had to go through it, not ok but I felt I had to do it so they had enough to charge whoever really did it, because of the disabilities I’m not even sure they have the right kid. But she has her moment when she cries and luckily more often then not, the same kid. We have her the option yesterday if she wanted to go to practice or stay home and watch her favorite movie. She chose practice. Multiple times she chose practice. We are trying to keep her life as normally as possible but she is home today. We thought today would be best at home.

Thanks for reading if you did. I had to get some of this out because my husband is a mess and my family doesn’t know even what to say and they are all hurt too. I’m trying to stay strong for everyone..

So pretty! I bet she's excited! Dressing up and all the hoopla is just so much fun all by itself ❤️❤️❤️
She is excited and looking forward to it! I think though that my mom, myself, and my husband will be there with her. We were going to let her go and just check in on her but I’m sure the school will understand. She is going to have a great time though!

Kinda Graphic so please read with caution:

So now for the not so good stuff. I’m still trying to process it all. And I know this is more about flocks but you all have been supportive of my daughter and her cheer. I don’t really have anyone to talk to and even though I haven’t met you all, I feel comfortable talking to you all. I wish with all by being that I could have protected her more. I wish I didn’t send her on the bus yesterday. She was running behind and I helped her hurry and get her shoes on. I should have just taken her myself. But then I think to myself, I shouldn’t feel this way. The bus SHOULD have had an aid the bus. Why have disabled chicken on a bus with out an aid? What if something goes wrong and the bus driver doesn’t see it or is distracted from the road? Well the bus driver didn’t see it and he didn’t even hear it. And I don’t understand. I’m still trying to process a LOT of this. Her “boyfriend” was always sweet to her. Walked her off the bus, whenever she was upset he helped her, he drew pictures of him saving her, he would walk her out of class if I came to pick her up. All the teachers are dumbfounded by him doing such a thing to her. But I believe that the other boy involved had WAY more to do with it. It started off by the boys talking about adult stuff, and then rock, paper, scissors as to who was going to do it to her. Like what??? She isn’t an object. She isn’t just there for your fun and games. She is a human being that deserves respect. I do believe her “boyfriend” was pressured into it but he lost. He hurt her. It isn’t as bad as it could have been but none the less, I’m sickened and my daughter is hurt. All these kids have disabilities. And I don’t know there complete understanding of what they did, like did they fully get what they did to her? But the DA thought they did enough to charge her “boyfriend” with a class X felony. Now this boy is only 14/15 years old. The other boy might only be charged with a misdemeanor. I feel he is just as responsible and should be charged the same. If there had been an aid on the bus, all 3 of these young lives would be different. Their lives wouldn’t be turned upside down.

My daughter is doing ok. She had to go through a rap kit, even though it was just fingers. But she had to go through it, not ok but I felt I had to do it so they had enough to charge whoever really did it, because of the disabilities I’m not even sure they have the right kid. But she has her moment when she cries and luckily more often then not, the same kid. We have her the option yesterday if she wanted to go to practice or stay home and watch her favorite movie. She chose practice. Multiple times she chose practice. We are trying to keep her life as normally as possible but she is home today. We thought today would be best at home.

Thanks for reading if you did. I had to get some of this out because my husband is a mess and my family doesn’t know even what to say and they are all hurt too. I’m trying to stay strong for everyone..
O man. Huge huge huge hugs for your whole family. I'm so sorry for just everyone in this. I hope you make a stink about the lack of supervision on the bus and I think your right on track to try to keep things as normal as you can for your daughter. All kids take a lot of cues from us about how to process life, and if you can convey to her that she's ok and how to not feel like a victim it'll help her long term. I think that feeling of victimization is the hardest thing to overcome in something like this and the most important to her long term mental health. It's hard to feel safe and confident and feel victimized at the same time.
I'll pray for your girl to walk away from all this with her pride, confidence and ability to trust intact.
Huge hugs.

Lucky Hope! I'm not telling Schultz about Hopes meals... he'd probably give me the stink eye and demand I at least scramble an egg for him 😂
That's cuz she would not eat the scrambled egg. .. or cat food. I told her we only have 1 Banana left and I like them too so there is gunna be a show down 🤠 🐔
I ate an apple instead.

Back
Top Bottom