What did you do with your flock today?

I got some pictures of the quail roofs Frankie was talking about.

The top is corrugated plastic sheeting. It’s clear so that it doesn’t obstruct the light or the view. The bottom & backs are open & the sides are enclosed with chicken wire. That way it keeps the air flowing & the chickens can’t sneak up into the sides.

Because the structures are so light there are small coffee cup hooks screwed into the back of the wood & hooked into the hard wire cloth on the windows. The chickens shouldn’t be able to knock them over if they try to jump up & we can easily take the roofs off/on if we need to. All in all a pretty successful experiment, so far.
45D4666E-64C0-40FF-9C04-06E2F6A4A032.jpeg

146E0493-2CD0-4199-B41C-0C21B90A05E1.jpeg

004C6935-8C63-49B4-889B-CA4B7219A53C.jpeg

The top is corrugated plastic sheeting. It’s clear so that it doesn’t obstruct the light or the view. The bottom & backs are open & the sides are enclosed with chicken wire. That way it keeps the air flowing & the chickens can’t sneak up into the sides.

Because the structures are so light there are small coffee cup hooks screwed into the back of the wood & hooked into the hard wire cloth on the windows. The chickens shouldn’t be able to knock them over if they try to jump up & we can easily take the roofs off/on if we need to. All in all a pretty successful experiment, so far.
View attachment 2171191
View attachment 2171192
View attachment 2171193

So neat! Caged lights but bird safe. I'm starting to think in terms of chicken wire and hooks now. I'm used to working with wood, but this is a fun setup. Pretty ingenious!

View attachment 2171191
View attachment 2171192
View attachment 2171193
That is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom