What did you do with your flock today?

Hey everyone, I almost died of fright this morning. I was pruning my zucchini after watering and on the far side from my walkway and hose when I was bending down to pull up the end and prune the bottom leaves a copperhead snake was siting there coiled up. I was so freaked. It was only two feet and not really that big around. I like snakes, have to since Texas, but I draw the line at venomous ones. Luckily I had my hoe and clippers on hand, after cutting it’s head off and disposeing of it I thought my chickens would enjoy the rest. They tried but the scales are too tough for them so the neighborhood cat got a free breakfast. Other than that my girls have been doing well in 100+ weather, they’ve started hanging out on the ramps and entrance to the coops so that’s interesting. And I finally found enough rocks to line their ash dusting area, which they are really enjoying. I figured it was a good thing to finish, since the hawks are back from a vacation and I’ve been hearing owls so their free range time has been reduced.

Hey everyone, I almost died of fright this morning. I was pruning my zucchini after watering and on the far side from my walkway and hose when I was bending down to pull up the end and prune the bottom leaves a copperhead snake was siting there coiled up. I was so freaked. It was only two feet and not really that big around. I like snakes, have to since Texas, but I draw the line at venomous ones. Luckily I had my hoe and clippers on hand, after cutting it’s head off and disposeing of it I thought my chickens would enjoy the rest. They tried but the scales are too tough for them so the neighborhood cat got a free breakfast. Other than that my girls have been doing well in 100+ weather, they’ve started hanging out on the ramps and entrance to the coops so that’s interesting. And I finally found enough rocks to line their ash dusting area, which they are really enjoying. I figured it was a good thing to finish, since the hawks are back from a vacation and I’ve been hearing owls so their free range time has been reduced.
How did you kill it? Hack it’s head off with the hoe?

My husband would have ran screaming. when we had hawks I put up 8ft 2x4's with bird net on top the hawks got so annoyed cause they couldn't get to my flock they left and never came back

I had been in radio in Juneau got a job offer for a eastern Washington
turned it down because of snakes had my fill as a kid in Wisconsin with cotton mouths.. there was bull snakes they are harmless
I like in Northern Ohio and all we have is gardener snakes and when my daughter was 3 she picked up a 6' snake and took it to my husband he literally screamed this high-pitched squeal ran into the house and yelled for me to get it from her i had to get rid of my boa when we moved in together because he was scared of it he is just as bad with spiders its so funny

Back
Top Bottom