What did you do with your flock today?

Smudge my Blue Marans rooster has the white at the base of his tail set.
Morning all.
002.jpg

We describe our guineas as "survival challenged".

We started with 26 and all survived until we moved them from the brooder cages to the coop. The coop, mind you, was originally built with high roosts especially for guineas...which our current flock of EEs and BLs have successfully roosted on since they were 8 weeks old. The guineas, however, ... well, 6 managed to kill themselves by breaking their own necks on the bottom of the roosting bars, 6 got killed by their flock mates the first week in the coop (3x the SF of the brooder, but somehow they suddenly felt cramped???). Finally, 7 got taken by coyotes because they couldnt resist flying to the lower unfenced pasture and 4 by our LGDs because they couldn't stop hopping over into that paddock). The remaining three seem hellbent on following in the footsteps of their brooder mates.
Dang!! I had no idea they were so survival challenged! I will have to remember this for the future! Here I thought quail were bad!! 😆

Good morning everyone. As promised, here are some photos of this morning's excitement.

The dogs thought they'd died and gone to heaven:

View attachment 2962362View attachment 2962363

The enclosure is covered in 1-inch chicken wire on top. I did NOT expect it to hold snow. I am shocked and super thankful that it didn't collapse under the weight (this is very old and sketchy wood):

View attachment 2962366
View attachment 2962370

But it did mean that the littles came out of their coop to a relatively snowless run.

View attachment 2962371

Hawk still didnt like it though.

View attachment 2962373

The reds weren't too phased by it and everyone appreciated (and used) the paths I cleared through the chicken yard.

View attachment 2962385
View attachment 2962376View attachment 2962377View attachment 2962378View attachment 2962379

I've got them confined to their coops, the run, and the chicken yard. If/when the snow melts, I'll let them out to the rest of the area they typically roam every day.
I know that snow creates a lot of issues when you have outdoor animals, but it sure is beautiful!! 😍😍 I miss snow so much but might feel differently now that I have to worry about my babies! Such a good chicken mom giving them paths to walk around! Nice too that it warmed up and melted pretty quickly! Can’t say I blame Hawk though 😆 You have lots of super cute chickens 😍 Wish I had all that space you have to let the chickens roam! The reds must love it 😍

Back
Top Bottom