What did you do with your flock today?

Hey, does anyone on this thread had a spout of mycroplasmosis? Luckily it a mild case. I'm treating my chickens and 3/5 stopped laying and it's been just over 2 weeks. 1 out of those 3, laid an egg yesterday. I'm more curious about when they will start laying again.

The best way to prevent Mycoplasma in your flock is to start adding natural antibacterial and antiviral herbs to your chicken's daily feed ration. Herbs like astragalus, thyme, oregano, lemon balm, garlic, stinging nettle, yarrow, and echinacea are a great place to start.

The best way to prevent Mycoplasma in your flock is to start adding natural antibacterial and antiviral herbs to your chicken's daily feed ration. Herbs like astragalus, thyme, oregano, lemon balm, garlic, stinging nettle, yarrow, and echinacea are a great place to start.
Already did that but guess I didn't do it often enough.

Already did that but guess I didn't do it often enough.
I have and once they have it they always have it 😩 it crops up anytime they are stressed out or weather gets wet and cold. For treatment I dose with Tylan for 3 days straight, usually IM shots. Then follow it up with 5 days of Denagard in their water. When I know things are going to be stressful I do a preventative dosing of Denagard for 5 days (hot temps, molting, new chickens, etc). I also add VetRx to their beak and back of their neck, and use Terramycin antibiotics for their eyes if they get bubbly. I now make sure I add colloidal silver to their water, give them poultry cell vitamins in their feed, and feed them probiotics every couple weeks to keep their immune systems as healthy as possible and it’s helped a lot. Any new chicks I bring in I also vaccinate for MG. Doesn’t keep them from getting it, but reduces the severity. So sorry you are dealing with it! It does take some of my ladies 3-4 weeks to start laying again and others never stop. It all depends on their inherent immunity to the virus.

TGIF! Hope you all have fun and relaxing plans for the weekend! I will be running around crazy tomorrow but hoping to spend some time with the chickens in the afternoon. I bought new misting hoses for the runs, and portable AC units for their coops…so I’m feeling less concerned about the impending misery that is setting in for the longest three months of my life every year!

We will also be cracking down getting Aria ready for the county fair that starts Thursday! Gotta get her more well versed in her chickens and get them ready for lots of holding and prodding and such. 😍

Tonight was Cher’s turn to be carted around with Aria. They were playing “hotel” and using the bathroom as an elevator and Cher was going everywhere with them 😆 Such a very tolerant bird silkies are! ❤️
2E952B81-163D-4FD5-9D7B-B33A1A85FFCA.jpeg

I also finished up vaccinations so the chicks will be getting the boot soon and going outside! I can’t wait to have them in one spot again. House has been chicken city for months now 😆 The bantams will be indoors a bit longer, but Nohope and Roxy are about ready! This was a trial run last night to see how well the others accepted them…it did not go well and they camped out on my shoulder the rest of the time. The 9 week olds ganged up on them and attacked them, poor babies! SO gonna need some more see but no touch time I think 🥺 Might see how the bantams handle them too.

12A75BEB-0E8C-4847-ACE2-ADC2A17EC956.jpeg

Anywho, gotta get some sleep! Night!

Beautiful birds @kurby22 . Kids must be having a blast with mommy's obsession lol. Good to have partners in crime yes?
Hope everyone got to spend some quality time with their birds this weekend. I did and did not. It was so humid after the rains and with the heat yesterday was unbearable and the mosquitoes were thick and disgusting too. Today was MUCH better! We got some nice trades and the nasty biters hopefully got blown out to sea 🤞😖🤞🌬🦟🦟🦟🦟

I have been scratching my head over my 3.5 month old chickens and maybe someone on or visiting this thread can help me out. I would have bet that I had 5 cockerels and maybe 2 pullets after all my sales. But now I'm thinking 2 of the suspect cockerels look a little pulletish. I think the colors def say cockerel in this one but comb and feathering say pullet. This is not the first time my mixes keep me guessing for way too long.
20220522_181939~2.jpg
check blind Mochi hunting the chicks in the play brooder. Bless that kitty ♡.
20220522_181945~2.jpg

Here are some same hatch boys in the mix. Sorry, they were trying to mug me for treats so no one was being photo cooperative. But you see what I am saying? Shall I dare hope that I was wrong and may have 4 pullets?!! That would make this hatchs ratio an anomaly. 5 cockerels and 10 pullets ⚡🤞😶🤞
20220522_182124.jpg
20220522_182047.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning. Second cup of coffee almost human.
I way over did it yesterday .. Way over did it...
Morning! I am on mine as well, but I'm not sure I feel human at all yet. I am SO tired this morning. I am due for a low key weekend without anything to do but hang with my chickens and maybe swim in the pool. It's going to be 102 on Wednesday :(

@TropicalBabies your pullets (I think) are so pretty! I would think at 3.5 months old you would have more wattles? What are they crossed with? Obviously light Brahma, but I can't recall the other breed? Your muggy humidity sounds just awful! I'm glad the winds kicked in and helped clear it out! :love

Yesterday I finished a new peapen and moved the birds in last night. So this morning I enjoyed my morning coffee sitting on a stump inside the pen and just watching the birds looking nervously around their new home. Our one cock is crazy and trys to land on our head or shoulders off and on. We absolutely love him and the new pen is so he and his ladies can be closer to the garden. He still likes to follow us around and try to eat anything we're holding...so this morning he got some mealies and some scraggly broccoli plants from the garden. It was enough to keep him from trying to hard to eat my clothes and toes...lol. He's two this year so should finally get his train in.
16533242644067695661495811285813.jpg

Back
Top Bottom