What did you do with your flock today?

The ferals are pretty things too. Love the blue legs in that pic!

I lost Nutters today. One of daughters takes care of the horses and the big chicken coop right now. I'm still limiting my walking to more even ground so I almost never get out there these days. But I guess she let her chickens out to play and her lil 2-3 pound rooster managed to kill my great big, favorite yoko boy. :idunno:idunno:idunno:barnie:hit
Nutters apparently tried to hide from her roo and he pecked Nutters head to bits. I know my yokos are gentle gentle birds...but I'm truely baffled. I'm not surprised Nutters didn't fight back...but with freedom and no limits to where/how far he could run... why didn't he just run off?

My poor daughter feels just awful. Her rooster is her baby and just a cuddly guy for people.

The ferals are pretty things too. Love the blue legs in that pic!

I lost Nutters today. One of daughters takes care of the horses and the big chicken coop right now. I'm still limiting my walking to more even ground so I almost never get out there these days. But I guess she let her chickens out to play and her lil 2-3 pound rooster managed to kill my great big, favorite yoko boy. :idunno:idunno:idunno:barnie:hit
Nutters apparently tried to hide from her roo and he pecked Nutters head to bits. I know my yokos are gentle gentle birds...but I'm truely baffled. I'm not surprised Nutters didn't fight back...but with freedom and no limits to where/how far he could run... why didn't he just run off?

My poor daughter feels just awful. Her rooster is her baby and just a cuddly guy for people.
Oh noooo, that is so very sad :( Is your daughter's bird one of the OEGBs? Chickens are so weird the way they respond to attacks by their own kind. I have a d'Anver that likes to pick on the baby chickens and they will run to a corner and bury their heads in the corner and just keep getting pecked while they "hide". I don't understand it either! I'm so sorry to hear that you lost such a sweet boy :(

Oh noooo, that is so very sad :( Is your daughter's bird one of the OEGBs? Chickens are so weird the way they respond to attacks by their own kind. I have a d'Anver that likes to pick on the baby chickens and they will run to a corner and bury their heads in the corner and just keep getting pecked while they "hide". I don't understand it either! I'm so sorry to hear that you lost such a sweet boy :(
He's a serama mix. She bred him herself and I don't remember what all's in him except for the serama. His name's Manchego and he's 4-5 years old. Hes never shared space with another rooster.

Nutters was from my original yokos so he was going on 3 years old. He's was used to only dealing with other yokos for roos, so he probably didn't know how to deal with a fierce boy.

I got rid of all the serama I had...I just didn't like their personalities...all the ones I had were fierce. Even as fluff covered chicks they'd be trying to attack other birds...but the kids both have some serama in their birds still.

He's a serama mix. She bred him herself and I don't remember what all's in him except for the serama. His name's Manchego and he's 4-5 years old. Hes never shared space with another rooster.

Nutters was from my original yokos so he was going on 3 years old. He's was used to only dealing with other yokos for roos, so he probably didn't know how to deal with a fierce boy.

I got rid of all the serama I had...I just didn't like their personalities...all the ones I had were fierce. Even as fluff covered chicks they'd be trying to attack other birds...but the kids both have some serama in their birds still.
Oh wow, that surprises me! Everyone says all the time how wonderful little Seramas are! That is good to know because they seem like such a good tiny bird for 4-H kids! I have talked to several people and they all say d'Anver roosters can be sort of mean to other chickens, so I may end up moving on from them to something else if they aren't able to move seamlessly into my flock of super nice birds! Poor Nutters, I feel sad for him and you! :(

The only ones I've been around are the ones I had and my friends...who I got them from. I'll never forget watching a little serama all covered in fluff with only his wing feathers in trying to attack a young peacock 100 times his size. We'd taken our babies out to play in the garden and the one to two inch tall serama babies didn't like meeting the other babies. It was funny at the time...but then they grew up and I wasn't so amused. They're the only birds I've owned that were hard to integrate even as babies.

Manchego is such a sweetheart with people though. Had no idea he could be fierce until today. My daughter can scoop him up with one hand and he'll get all sleepy eyed. She said hes half serama and half mutt.

The only ones I've been around are the ones I had and my friends...who I got them from. I'll never forget watching a little serama all covered in fluff with only his wing feathers in trying to attack a young peacock 100 times his size. We'd taken our babies out to play in the garden and the one to two inch tall serama babies didn't like meeting the other babies. It was funny at the time...but then they grew up and I wasn't so amused. They're the only birds I've owned that were hard to integrate even as babies.

Manchego is such a sweetheart with people though. Had no idea he could be fierce until today. My daughter can scoop him up with one hand and he'll get all sleepy eyed. She said hes half serama and half mutt.
Maybe it’s like chihuahuas…total little bird syndrome! 😆 That’s definitely what I like most about the ODs. They’re a tiny package but super friendly and I’ve never seen them aggressive at all. Not push overs, but not at all aggressive. Bruno has never bit or attacked anyone even when being chased and cornered. He’s a fierce protector of his ladies though! :) I can’t really picture any of my birds taking on a peacock 😆 Run and hide yes…attack no way!

Speaking of roosters, Fluff has moved to the top of my daughter’s favorites list. She doesn’t like Puff anymore, he has lashed out at her one too many times. Even I have stopped wanting to love on him and just give him space now. When he wants attention he comes and asks for it but otherwise he apparently has reached the stage where he’d rather be left alone. He doesn’t attack, but he will peck hard if he doesn’t like being held. Fluff on the other hand let’s Aria cart him around everywhere, she brings him in the house and he sits in her lap and sleeps. It’s like they traded roles…I miss sweet lovable young Puff…but I fear that Fluff would feel like he needed to take over Puffs role if we rehomed Puff and kept Fluff. And then we’d be out both the boys…and Aria would cry. So, for now things will stay status quo.

Doesn’t Fluff look so happy? 😆
15BB1A9B-DEDA-4F7D-94CF-47F7AF792217.jpeg

Happy Friday all, hope you enjoy your weekend!

Maybe it’s like chihuahuas…total little bird syndrome! 😆 That’s definitely what I like most about the ODs. They’re a tiny package but super friendly and I’ve never seen them aggressive at all. Not push overs, but not at all aggressive. Bruno has never bit or attacked anyone even when being chased and cornered. He’s a fierce protector of his ladies though! :) I can’t really picture any of my birds taking on a peacock 😆 Run and hide yes…attack no way!

Speaking of roosters, Fluff has moved to the top of my daughter’s favorites list. She doesn’t like Puff anymore, he has lashed out at her one too many times. Even I have stopped wanting to love on him and just give him space now. When he wants attention he comes and asks for it but otherwise he apparently has reached the stage where he’d rather be left alone. He doesn’t attack, but he will peck hard if he doesn’t like being held. Fluff on the other hand let’s Aria cart him around everywhere, she brings him in the house and he sits in her lap and sleeps. It’s like they traded roles…I miss sweet lovable young Puff…but I fear that Fluff would feel like he needed to take over Puffs role if we rehomed Puff and kept Fluff. And then we’d be out both the boys…and Aria would cry. So, for now things will stay status quo.

Doesn’t Fluff look so happy? 😆
View attachment 3162403

Happy Friday all, hope you enjoy your weekend!
O that's a happy pair! His name certainly fits him! Aria is such a pretty name!
It's always a little sad when a much loved chickie decides it doesn't like being loved on anymore. Fluff certainly has his bliss face on there.❤❤❤

Definitely chihuahua birds! 🤣

I like the ods and yokos for that too! I've always joked that my yokos are descended from dodo's... but their calm, curious and gentle personalities is the main reason I love them. The ods aren't as calm, but they're every bit as nice.

Oh my goodness. So sorry @ChicksnMore that is a heartbreaking loss. What a beautiful boy. Sorry your daughter feels bad for what she though would be a good deed. ☹
Well, here in the land of feral chickens it does not surprise me at all. I have seen some brutal and heart breaking things. We have a lot of fighting cocks that get let loose for one reason or another and they breed with the feral hens and so on and so on. They are seriously mean and I don't hesitate to take them out. I have found trapping and removing/relocating the young to be the best for ofaction for me and my flock. But again, I will take an over confident roo out NO problem.

Well yesterday was a hard day. They were an hour late with the surgery, it took 2x as long and DH did lousy with the GE and recovery. Made it a 12 hour outpatient surgery ordeal and lots of effort.
I did get a subway wrap and had a moment of zen sharing with my pals. Made me realize I will probably keep chickens until I die. What lovely and amazing creatures ♡
So flock was stuck in the run all day though I did open up the garden to all so that is 30x25 = 750sq for 20 birds. They were traumatized I'm sure though I did get 13 eggs. Something to be said about clean fresh nest boxes.

Last edited:
20220624_125052.jpg

Besides my turkey wrap I had just picked up a small bag of layer pellets w/ fancy vitamins so was able to toss some handfuls out. I know people must think I am nuts but I'm ok with that lol. Like what's new right?
Then brood mama showed up with her one charge and made me pretty happy
20220624_135236.jpg

But the one who won my heart was this one 👇. If I could have grabbed her to trim her beak I would have in a heartbeat. It must of had a 1/2" overhang. Looked like Marge Simpson.
20220624_135432.jpg
so I tossed her big chunks of tomatoes and turkey from my wrap so she could grab. She was not able to enjoy any pellets due to her affliction. Total sweetheart and great therapist lol

Back
Top Bottom