What did you do with your flock today?

I go egg hunting everyday.. my hens like to hide them. Does not help that the weeds are 5 feet tall.

Can anyone here tell me if this looks like Dry Pox? Unsure if it is.
View attachment 3160065
Hey @bonkers how's the chooks doing? Any more suspect spots? Any perfect healing of spots? Hope all is well.

@kurby22 , just love that boy ♡♡♡
So glad you have good options... I mean really good options ♡♡♡
Yeah me too! 😍 I have a question for you as a Brahma owner! I have two full Brahmas and my Cochin/Brahma mix. All bantams so maybe that is the difference…but none of them are gentle or friendly. The Cochin/Brahma mix Ferdinand is a total spaz 😆 and at any sign of fear he bites. And Ruby…who might still end up a Rubero…also bites! Bella the light Brahma for sure hen, is not at all friendly and can be kind of bratty to the other birds. Do I just have broken Brahmas? Or are they not so much people friendly? Ferdinand makes noise all the time, not crowing so much, just noise. He dances around, acts like he wants attention, and then when you try he freaks out and either runs or bites. 😆 I sorta think he’s a bit of a nutter 😆 Anywho, it’s good I have Fluff and Bruno haha!

Hey @bonkers how's the chooks doing? Any more suspect spots? Any perfect healing of spots? Hope all is well.
Hi there. The spots haven't gotten worse and from closer inspection, appears to be peck marks from my rooster. Compared to the images I've seen of dry pox looks very different from the small smooth black marks on her comb. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Yeah me too! 😍 I have a question for you as a Brahma owner! I have two full Brahmas and my Cochin/Brahma mix. All bantams so maybe that is the difference…but none of them are gentle or friendly. The Cochin/Brahma mix Ferdinand is a total spaz 😆 and at any sign of fear he bites. And Ruby…who might still end up a Rubero…also bites! Bella the light Brahma for sure hen, is not at all friendly and can be kind of bratty to the other birds. Do I just have broken Brahmas? Or are they not so much people friendly? Ferdinand makes noise all the time, not crowing so much, just noise. He dances around, acts like he wants attention, and then when you try he freaks out and either runs or bites. 😆 I sorta think he’s a bit of a nutter 😆 Anywho, it’s good I have Fluff and Bruno haha!
How old are these little weirdos? I notice that makes a big difference. My boys are usually lap boys till they hit puberty, then they want some distance but remain calm (except for the mating my hand thing). Some of my pullets are scatter prone till they hit POL and then they become calm, most very friendly.
As the newbies they will be a tad less confident than first flock due to pecking order.
I find hand feeding gets me buddies. Holding the snacks and selectively seaking out the timid

Just keep doing you. I know you have a good hand and good environment. They will catch on ♡♡♡

Oh my goodness. So sorry @ChicksnMore that is a heartbreaking loss. What a beautiful boy. Sorry your daughter feels bad for what she though would be a good deed. ☹
Well, here in the land of feral chickens it does not surprise me at all. I have seen some brutal and heart breaking things. We have a lot of fighting cocks that get let loose for one reason or another and they breed with the feral hens and so on and so on. They are seriously mean and I don't hesitate to take them out. I have found trapping and removing/relocating the young to be the best for ofaction for me and my flock. But again, I will take an over confident roo out NO problem.

Well yesterday was a hard day. They were an hour late with the surgery, it took 2x as long and DH did lousy with the GE and recovery. Made it a 12 hour outpatient surgery ordeal and lots of effort.
I did get a subway wrap and had a moment of zen sharing with my pals. Made me realize I will probably keep chickens until I die. What lovely and amazing creatures ♡
So flock was stuck in the run all day though I did open up the garden to all so that is 30x25 = 750sq for 20 birds. They were traumatized I'm sure though I did get 13 eggs. Something to be said about clean fresh nest boxes.
That sounds like a rough day. :hugs Is your hubby doing ok today?

My kids recovered and feeling better. She has her own fenced garden area with a little coop in it...well both my kids do. Anyhow, her birds are usually happy to stay in it and help her garden. Think we'll add some netting or wire over it just to be sure. They're all too used to playtime to stop letting them out.
View attachment 3163052
Besides my turkey wrap I had just picked up a small bag of layer pellets w/ fancy vitamins so was able to toss some handfuls out. I know people must think I am nuts but I'm ok with that lol. Like what's new right?
Then brood mama showed up with her one charge and made me pretty happyView attachment 3163059
But the one who won my heart was this one 👇. If I could have grabbed her to trim her beak I would have in a heartbeat. It must of had a 1/2" overhang. Looked like Marge Simpson. View attachment 3163064so I tossed her big chunks of tomatoes and turkey from my wrap so she could grab. She was not able to enjoy any pellets due to her affliction. Total sweetheart and great therapist lol
Poor baby! She must have had a long life though! At least the only birds I've had with beaks like that are old matriarchs, so I'm assuming. I'm so glad you got that sweet moment with the ferals to help you through the day. Sometimes we just need a moment to breathe. ❤
Today we have been just relaxing in the sun
View attachment 3163069
That looks like a fine day you had!
Hi there. The spots haven't gotten worse and from closer inspection, appears to be peck marks from my rooster. Compared to the images I've seen of dry pox looks very different from the small smooth black marks on her comb. I'll keep an eye on it though.
So glad it looks like it's not pox!

Alls quiet here today. I've been cleaning the greenhouse and trying to decide how I want to repair it. It's a harbor freight plastic job and the plastic is giving out. Debating if I want to keep it a greenhouse or replace the panels with hardware cloth, add a shaded roof, and let my daughter use it for her canaries. Its 8x12 so might make a nice little walk in aviary. Or i might turn it into a permanent planting shed...which is kinda all it's been getting used for lately.

Hope everyone's day goes well!

my wyandotte cockerel likes to live on the wild side. i saw him eat stinging nettle throughout today. maybe he likes spicy food lol. he even photobombed a picture i took of the chickens with his nettle obsession, here he is enjoying his favorite snack.
View attachment 2128201
I love when they give that little sideways glance and tilt their head while looking at me. Throw in a little hen talk and I'm smitten 🥰 🐓❤️

How old are these little weirdos? I notice that makes a big difference. My boys are usually lap boys till they hit puberty, then they want some distance but remain calm (except for the mating my hand thing). Some of my pullets are scatter prone till they hit POL and then they become calm, most very friendly.
As the newbies they will be a tad less confident than first flock due to pecking order.
I find hand feeding gets me buddies. Holding the snacks and selectively seaking out the timid

Just keep doing you. I know you have a good hand and good environment. They will catch on ♡♡♡
Okay I’ll be patient with them! They are still pretty young, but that’s when I expect them to be nice 😆 Ferdinand is about 13 weeks old, Ruby is 7 weeks old and Bella is about 11 months and laying. She has mellowed more in the past month so maybe with time she will even trust me enough to come near me! Ruby is going to be a pretty girl so I’d love it if she mellowed out. Both her and Ferdinand are totally fine once you are holding them, it’s just the act of trying to pick them up! Even when I’m at their level and just set my hand near the ground. They run up and bite it 🤪 Ruby hung on to the flap of skin between my thumb and forefinger yesterday…like a dog hanging onto a treat…

Ferdinand really is a strange little dude though. Wild eyed, constant noise, runs around everywhere with one wing down like he’s just constantly sexy dancing, and crows quite a bit. He seems totally over run by hormones 😆 My daughter is determined to make him nice though. So he’s got a champion in his corner!

5D0832D6-B8A6-4019-82E1-14B684F3A9E5.jpeg

Had a new pet sitter come to meet my suburban petting zoo of animals today! We are going on a short vacation to the ocean on Friday and my mom fell thru as a sitter option due to my Aunt’s poor health, so my normal lady was already booked. I think it will be less stressful for me 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻I found her on my local poultry Facebook page, she’s had chickens for 9 years 😍 My numerous things going on might have scared her a bit 😆😆😆 but she seemed up for the task! It would be so nice to find someone that knows chickens and is willing to take care of them for me. I miss leaving town without massive stress!

I also managed to get 5 of my bird coops/brooders cleaned today even though it was 97 outside 🥵 Feel much better getting that done but I burned a lot of calories doing it!

@TropicalBabies how is the husband doing now? I’m sorry it was a taxing day but sounds like chickens were doing their therapy work for you to get you thru it! ❤️❤️

@ChicksnMore a bird aviary sounds pretty great! I literally see potential coops in all things now 😆

Attachments

• E76B67EB-35C3-429E-BFC7-6E17B622041D.jpeg
    E76B67EB-35C3-429E-BFC7-6E17B622041D.jpeg
    544.3 KB · Views: 1
Okay I’ll be patient with them! They are still pretty young, but that’s when I expect them to be nice 😆 Ferdinand is about 13 weeks old, Ruby is 7 weeks old and Bella is about 11 months and laying. She has mellowed more in the past month so maybe with time she will even trust me enough to come near me! Ruby is going to be a pretty girl so I’d love it if she mellowed out. Both her and Ferdinand are totally fine once you are holding them, it’s just the act of trying to pick them up! Even when I’m at their level and just set my hand near the ground. They run up and bite it 🤪 Ruby hung on to the flap of skin between my thumb and forefinger yesterday…like a dog hanging onto a treat…

Ferdinand really is a strange little dude though. Wild eyed, constant noise, runs around everywhere with one wing down like he’s just constantly sexy dancing, and crows quite a bit. He seems totally over run by hormones 😆 My daughter is determined to make him nice though. So he’s got a champion in his corner!

View attachment 3164832

Had a new pet sitter come to meet my suburban petting zoo of animals today! We are going on a short vacation to the ocean on Friday and my mom fell thru as a sitter option due to my Aunt’s poor health, so my normal lady was already booked. I think it will be less stressful for me 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻I found her on my local poultry Facebook page, she’s had chickens for 9 years 😍 My numerous things going on might have scared her a bit 😆😆😆 but she seemed up for the task! It would be so nice to find someone that knows chickens and is willing to take care of them for me. I miss leaving town without massive stress!

I also managed to get 5 of my bird coops/brooders cleaned today even though it was 97 outside 🥵 Feel much better getting that done but I burned a lot of calories doing it!

@TropicalBabies how is the husband doing now? I’m sorry it was a taxing day but sounds like chickens were doing their therapy work for you to get you thru it! ❤️❤️

@ChicksnMore a bird aviary sounds pretty great! I literally see potential coops in all things now 😆
Ferdinand sounds like a hoot! Hopefully all those hormones don't turn him mean. He definitely has a wild eye!

My oldest daughter is the one with Manchego. She raised him and a hen named Gouda together. Manchego will let her do almost anything to him and stay relaxed...Gouda on the other hand decided doing chicken things is more fun then cuddles or being picked up. She started keeping her distance if she thought cuddles were on anyone's mind...but she still comes running if your about treats! 🤣 Watching the two of them... I'm positive Gouda trusts Kimi completely. She just wants control and activity. I'm wondering if that's how it is with your three.

I have relatives coming in on Friday and we're taking them to the ocean! We're taking them to Porto Penasco since they've never been to Mexico. Hope everything goes well with the new sitter. We have neighbors come in to check things over daily but we also put up extra feeders and waterers so the birds should be ok. Gives me peace of mind and means the neighbors shouldn't have to do much more then collect eggs and feed the horses.

Here's our young dark pied hen enjoying some garden time.
DSC00793 (1).JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom