What did you do with your flock today?

Tomorrow my husband and I are going to take someone’s car to the shop my husband works at. And at first I wasn’t sure who this person was, but quickly realized and thought “oh no…what am I going to do 🤦‍♀️“.

This guy came to the house a few weeks ago for a yard sale we were having but was looking at the antique lawn mower we had out front separate from the yard sale. Seen we had chickens and wanted to give me his cockerel. At the time, I had just gotten my little guys and I knew I had a cockerel in there because I ordered him specifically. He doesn’t know what he is or if he is a barn yard mix or what. I will eventually end up with a barn yard mix, but right now everything would be an Ameraucana or a mix with Ameraucana. And not that that is really an issue, it’s:

The chickens are apparently is in the house and has a room off the owners bedroom. I don’t know if there are plans of moving them outside or to this property he was talking about in another town. Where the chickens sleep or are at shouldn’t be a concern to me as long as they have had enough room. I’m assuming they are in a brooder BUT they are the same age as the ones I have outside, so it would be 11/12 weeks old. AND he claims to be a veterinarian and also claimed that they haven’t been outside and they should be free of disease. But I don’t agree with that. HE may not but if he hasn’t had the medicated feed, no vaccine for Merricks, I feel it could end bad for him or even more so my own chickens. I don’t have a place to quarantine him either yet. I don’t know how to let him down and I know my husband will have a hard time too. He never did get back but he said when he figured out which one was crowing he would bring it by. I’m hoping he found him a different home.

Just tomorrow morning is nerve wrecking. I hate confrontation. I hope he will just take no for no, if it comes up. If I had a way to quarantine him, it would be different.

Tomorrow my husband and I are going to take someone’s car to the shop my husband works at. And at first I wasn’t sure who this person was, but quickly realized and thought “oh no…what am I going to do 🤦‍♀️“.

This guy came to the house a few weeks ago for a yard sale we were having but was looking at the antique lawn mower we had out front separate from the yard sale. Seen we had chickens and wanted to give me his cockerel. At the time, I had just gotten my little guys and I knew I had a cockerel in there because I ordered him specifically. He doesn’t know what he is or if he is a barn yard mix or what. I will eventually end up with a barn yard mix, but right now everything would be an Ameraucana or a mix with Ameraucana. And not that that is really an issue, it’s:

The chickens are apparently is in the house and has a room off the owners bedroom. I don’t know if there are plans of moving them outside or to this property he was talking about in another town. Where the chickens sleep or are at shouldn’t be a concern to me as long as they have had enough room. I’m assuming they are in a brooder BUT they are the same age as the ones I have outside, so it would be 11/12 weeks old. AND he claims to be a veterinarian and also claimed that they haven’t been outside and they should be free of disease. But I don’t agree with that. HE may not but if he hasn’t had the medicated feed, no vaccine for Merricks, I feel it could end bad for him or even more so my own chickens. I don’t have a place to quarantine him either yet. I don’t know how to let him down and I know my husband will have a hard time too. He never did get back but he said when he figured out which one was crowing he would bring it by. I’m hoping he found him a different home.

Just tomorrow morning is nerve wrecking. I hate confrontation. I hope he will just take no for no, if it comes up. If I had a way to quarantine him, it would be different.
I think I would tell him that you just had a big chicken tragedy and just aren't ready to handle a new chicken right now as your heart hurts too much. That might help in the short term?

I think I would tell him that you just had a big chicken tragedy and just aren't ready to handle a new chicken right now as your heart hurts too much. That might help in the short term?
Yeah, I mean honesty is always best and just being straight forward. I just have this big heart and my husband has this big heart for animals (yes more than some humans lol) and we would hate for this guy to just abandon the chicken somewhere or put it in a place that would do harm to it. Obviously eating it would be expected at some point but like cock fighting or something like that.

Yeah, I mean honesty is always best and just being straight forward. I just have this big heart and my husband has this big heart for animals (yes more than some humans lol) and we would hate for this guy to just abandon the chicken somewhere or put it in a place that would do harm to it. Obviously eating it would be expected at some point but like cock fighting or something like that.
Yeah I definitely get that. I too have this issue and get really attached and my mom is even worse haha. But I will say I learned the very very hard way, that introducing non-chick chickens has a lot of risks associated. My original flock all got Mycoplasma from a pullet that brought it from her previous home—and I had already gotten chicks from this same breeder. I quarantined her but not long enough and am paying that price over and over. So keep that in mind for the babies you have left. It’s the only thing that keeps me from taking in all the chickens 😆😢

Yeah I definitely get that. I too have this issue and get really attached and my mom is even worse haha. But I will say I learned the very very hard way, that introducing non-chick chickens has a lot of risks associated. My original flock all got Mycoplasma from a pullet that brought it from her previous home—and I had already gotten chicks from this same breeder. I quarantined her but not long enough and am paying that price over and over. So keep that in mind for the babies you have left. It’s the only thing that keeps me from taking in all the chickens 😆😢
And that is another thing I would worry about. Anything they can bring with them. I mean…great, they have been in a house since you got them, but you also got them from a farm. And if the chickens were exposed to anything (which I’m sure that they were), they would bring it here. I would never forgive myself if anything happened to any more chickens, especially if I can prevent it.

Here is a somewhat recent one of Ruby, but I can get better ones later @TropicalBabies :) He’s a bantam and the only one that hatched from the 6 eggs I bought. He’s very pretty and soft ❤️

View attachment 3228594
He's gorgeous!!!
I took a few glamour shots when I visited the bantams this morning. No, Nohope (Lav cuckoo Orpington) and Roxy BLR Wyandotte) are not bantams haha, but they’re very gentle and do much better with them!
You have such beautiful babies!!!
I out the lavender Orpingtons...but if only batam!
@FBMcrazy8
I hate confrontation too! Maybe he'll lose ya number! 🤔

He's gorgeous!!!

Thank you! They are all just so precious :love Nohope was my 4th attempt at getting a lavender Orp pullet...and we originally named him Hope...until it was clear there was No Hope for a girl haha. The bullet proof breeder I mentioned has some lavender, chocolate and mauve (sex-linked) guaranteed girls right now and I am really tempted...would be a 5th try though...ha.

Right now Nohope gets to stay, we will see how he matures. If he stays gentle I am not sure I could rehome, he's a really sweet boy and his girlfriend Roxy (BLRW) is super sweet as well. They can't be apart...it's the most bonded pair of chickens I have ever owned. Where one is the other has to be, no matter what. And if you remove one the other calls and paces the entire time. It's really adorable--I'd feel awful splitting them up.

He's gorgeous!!!

He knows where I live 🤦‍♀️😭. I’m hoping it will be easier because he isn’t bringing him here, unless he brings him in the morning…🤬. I don’t know though, my husband talked to him and I guess he is coming to my house we are following him to his to get the car. I will just have to be strong on this one. I can’t do any more losses anytime soon.

Okay last time spamming y’all. :) I’m very pleased with my d’Anver grow outs. I’m hoping the boys fill out and sheen up by late January and we are gonna show them in a real poultry show!

Attachments

• BB657FA1-1E72-4156-BDBC-CFB13B198115.jpeg
    BB657FA1-1E72-4156-BDBC-CFB13B198115.jpeg
    545.2 KB · Views: 2
  • B6BEFEC8-9BDA-4FCE-BA2D-8247401C218E.jpeg
    B6BEFEC8-9BDA-4FCE-BA2D-8247401C218E.jpeg
    688.8 KB · Views: 2
  • D8376082-6331-4828-80B1-102A9F8C2923.jpeg
    D8376082-6331-4828-80B1-102A9F8C2923.jpeg
    832.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 93316838-87C5-4726-929F-8A61DAFEE6C4.jpeg
    93316838-87C5-4726-929F-8A61DAFEE6C4.jpeg
    731.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 86C13AD9-B8D1-4AB0-90FD-7940DE219F74.jpeg
    86C13AD9-B8D1-4AB0-90FD-7940DE219F74.jpeg
    421.5 KB · Views: 2
  • C27368F9-4584-452B-A084-79E1CAD311AD.jpeg
    C27368F9-4584-452B-A084-79E1CAD311AD.jpeg
    681.8 KB · Views: 2
  • BF2C550C-0638-4BE7-80DC-AD37EC59E8B6.jpeg
    BF2C550C-0638-4BE7-80DC-AD37EC59E8B6.jpeg
    520.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 12DDA271-092F-47F5-83F3-9634C45D9E28.jpeg
    12DDA271-092F-47F5-83F3-9634C45D9E28.jpeg
    617.9 KB · Views: 2
Thank you! They are all just so precious :love Nohope was my 4th attempt at getting a lavender Orp pullet...and we originally named him Hope...until it was clear there was No Hope for a girl haha. The bullet proof breeder I mentioned has some lavender, chocolate and mauve (sex-linked) guaranteed girls right now and I am really tempted...would be a 5th try though...ha.

Right now Nohope gets to stay, we will see how he matures. If he stays gentle I am not sure I could rehome, he's a really sweet boy and his girlfriend Roxy (BLRW) is super sweet as well. They can't be apart...it's the most bonded pair of chickens I have ever owned. Where one is the other has to be, no matter what. And if you remove one the other calls and paces the entire time. It's really adorable--I'd feel awful splitting them up.
Awe! That's precious when they are so close knit like that. .that's the way Jackie Chan and Gracie were...cuz I was gonna keep her! But I knew I couldn't keep him!
I didn't have the heart to separate em! So they went together to their new home and remain inseparable!

Back
Top Bottom