What did you do with your flock today?

I noticed I managed to miss a whole 1/2 a page yesterday. Wonder what else I have missed... 🤔
I had a good productive day yesterday. Observations b4 getting to work.View attachment 3334980Hope is pretty much back in the club. Here she is, upper right, preening with some of Spiders gals. She is also getting mated by Beetle. So, she ranks somewhere.View attachment 3334982View attachment 3334986
Spider and some ladies wandered into deep AJ yard territory on a morning lizard hunt. Spider looking stunning at full alert.View attachment 3334993
On a side note. I have fruit in late November!?!! Oranges and Starfruit second season but LATE mangoes, papayas and soursop! Who would have thunk it? Another month till harvest I'd guess.View attachment 3334997View attachment 3334991View attachment 3334999
Woke up to a light rain this morning. Love not summer. Weather not looking ideal for the tree work up Koke'e. Hoping we can push them back a few days but I highly doubt it. Hope they can stay productive for the high $$$$ per day and not completely ruin the cabin. Lol 😭
Oh, yum! I miss having fresh tropical fruits. Lucky you live Hawaii! Such beautiful chickens!

Oh…and here is some better pictures of the coop I got. It is on a standard flat bed trailer. It is 3’x4’ on the outside. So really a little less square footage on the inside. But here’s some pictures…please ignore the stuff on the trailer, it’s still the mess from their house.
Pretty roomy, if looks aren't deceiving. Salvageable, for sure. Add another roosting bar, perhaps? With the price of lumber and building materials, good find.

Sounds like you've been busier than any of us!

"My cute kitty is very sight impared and that makes him extra special to me. I'm so lucky he made it into my life, so grateful ♡"

Aww, that's so beautiful. You're so lucky to have each other, I'd say. These things are often meant to be.❤

Here's my current two:
What a beautiful creation! Love the bold colors.

Pretty roomy, if looks aren't deceiving. Salvageable, for sure. Add another roosting bar, perhaps? With the price of lumber and building materials, good find.
Yeah, it just needs a little work. Luckily the roof is good so we are going to add shingles to it. Just really needs cleaned good and ventilation added and the nesting boxes fixed. We can repaint too but it isn’t at the top of the list.

I would absolutely give calcium to the soft shelled layers. From what I understand you can not hurt your hen by boosting her calcium short term. Good idea. You also need to keep your eye out for the reason it is happening.
Too much scraps? Worms? Good you are now offering layer... maybe they just need a boost and more time for it to kick in.

I haven't caught up yet, hopefully I have time to do that later today.

Poor Molly is just getting worse. I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but the closest thing I could find was edema, but there's not a lot of info of that in chickens (and when there is it's all in their abdomen) and at least in humans it's a symptom, not a cause. And there are so many causes, it's hard to narrow it down. I'm thinking she must have some sort of liver/heart/kidney/something else failure, but IME those are always fast-acting. : ((

@kurby22 I saw your post about Fluff. I'm so sorry for your loss, he looked like such a sweet boy, and I know how special he was to you. :hugs

I would absolutely give calcium to the soft shelled layers. From what I understand you can not hurt your hen by boosting her calcium short term. Good idea. You also need to keep your eye out for the reason it is happening.
Too much scraps? Worms? Good you are now offering layer... maybe they just need a boost and more time for it to kick in.
I don’t give them scraps. About every other day I give them some veggies or fruit. I only give cracked corn on the days it is really cold. I haven’t given the meal worms in a while either. It’s WAY to cold for them to dig around in the dirt to find these things too.

Good to know that I can’t hurt them with too much Calcium. I just worry about my cockerel cause he literally eats everything I offer. I may have to separate him some how so the girls can get calcium without him getting it. Cause I’m sure he is eating the layer feed along with the All Flock.

Luckily I only have one now laying…well shell less. It wasn’t yesterday, which blows my mind, how it goes from a nice shell to no shell. I don’t feed them much spinach, even though it has calcium. But I put it with apple cider vinegar so it helps absorb the calcium and basically off sets the part of spinach that keeps them from observing calcium (I forget what it’s called). The one that was laying soft shells started laying beautiful eggs after the second one.

One of our puppy girls eyes are opening and she is completely freaked out!!! She sees one of us and SCREAMS. And of course Isa (momma, again pronounced Esa) is freaking out. She is freaking out so much she is winning and shaking. We tried talking to them and being around them as much as possible with their eyes shut to hopefully ease it when their eyes opened but so far no luck with that. Hopefully it will be easier for her soon!

Back
Top Bottom