What did you do with your flock today?

Oh my! I know it's not funny as she's obviously terrified but I really couldn't stop laughing! Am I a bad person?🤣

I will ask for you. If they're just pullets who've only just started laying, I agree with PopoMyers. It's probably just her reproductive system settling down. I'd say it's not likely they're short on calcium at such a young age.
No, not at all. It was kinda funny to me too. I just hate hearing her cry. (Which she has been doing a lot the last week) She is honestly the big baby, and also the spoiled baby lmao. She is the first one born and is ALWAYS found by mommas head or cuddling on her legs.

And that maybe because she is just starting out. I would just hate to miss something.

Luckily they all have been laying in the boxes and exploring more than the one box that everyone wanted at first. My French Black Maran, Belle, hid her first one under the chicken nest boxes, and then one she managed to put UNDER the nesting material. She has since stopped doing that luckily. I go check often so I don’t miss any. I have noticed that the soft shelled that has been laid and the one without a shell are the only ones they AREN’T being laid in the boxes.

Thank you. I will try not to worry too much. I know there is a lot to work out, I was just really hoping that I would keep them from laying these eggs. Live and learn I guess.
I usually find the defective eggs under the roosts, occasionally in the box. I think they might just " slip out" of them at night. And don't worry if they eat those. Mine gobble them down if they find them before I do. Haven't had any break good eggs.

I hope they listen to your advice if they do decide to keep more. Why don't people do some research into a chicken's requirements before they jump in with both feet???
Right! And it doesn’t help when you have people selling “chicken coops” without ventilation. There is a lumber yard not far from me that selling random things to kinda help make ends meet. One he sold was a chicken coop. It was a shed without a shred of ventilation. Not even a window. He wanted $2,500 for it. Im not paying that anyway when mine that is bigger than that and made right cost less than that. And on top of that I would have to cut out some of the wood you’re selling me.

Another was at an auction. I don’t remember the measurements on that one but it was just a little bigger than the one I just got. It even had a cute front porch. First look I was like ok…I would pay a good amount for it. Then I look into it. Part of the back of the coops plywood was just flat out missing. The ventilation was more of drafts in the winter. Right on the roosts, and right behind the nest boxes. You can’t really put the roosts down, they would be basically on the floor. If you closed those up for winter there wouldn’t be anywhere close to enough ventilation. I did take pictures of this one. But it went into a bidding war and finally sold for $600. I wouldn’t have spent that knowing all the things I would have to replace. When I first went to look at it the roost bars where there, when I went back to take pictures of it, they were down…

Attachments

• E662892C-DDD6-4B1F-8A9B-DEFFAE0EC144.jpeg
    E662892C-DDD6-4B1F-8A9B-DEFFAE0EC144.jpeg
    394.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 12352128-080D-4F38-96E2-1EB0007D5A14.jpeg
    12352128-080D-4F38-96E2-1EB0007D5A14.jpeg
    702.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DC7A476C-897C-4E51-92AD-EB1AAF79C17B.jpeg
    DC7A476C-897C-4E51-92AD-EB1AAF79C17B.jpeg
    663.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 1F4B26EC-2384-4505-AE09-656FDB9DDA5A.jpeg
    1F4B26EC-2384-4505-AE09-656FDB9DDA5A.jpeg
    406.5 KB · Views: 4
I usually find the defective eggs under the roosts, occasionally in the box. I think they might just " slip out" of them at night. And don't worry if they eat those. Mine gobble them down if they find them before I do. Haven't had any break good eggs.
Yeah, the one this morning was under the roost. And she even sang her song. At first I looked at her funny. Cause one of them (brown leghorn) will sing BEFORE she lays the egg, she is silly. But this one was the opposite of her twin (not a really twin, just same breed). The other soft ones I found in the run broken and the other was under the roosts as well.

Have my fingers crossed. :fl :barnie:rantFighting moles today. Got some of those light up smoke bombs you stick down the run. Additionally, ran my blow dryer to force the smoke down into all the tunnels. Had smoke coming up through the grass and other places. Kept the flock locked up until the air cleared. They were not happy for that time, but later got to play in all the fallen leaves.
Fingers crossed for you as well! Moles are terrible!

Right! And it doesn’t help when you have people selling “chicken coops” without ventilation. There is a lumber yard not far from me that selling random things to kinda help make ends meet. One he sold was a chicken coop. It was a shed without a shred of ventilation. Not even a window. He wanted $2,500 for it. Im not paying that anyway when mine that is bigger than that and made right cost less than that. And on top of that I would have to cut out some of the wood you’re selling me.

Another was at an auction. I don’t remember the measurements on that one but it was just a little bigger than the one I just got. It even had a cute front porch. First look I was like ok…I would pay a good amount for it. Then I look into it. Part of the back of the coops plywood was just flat out missing. The ventilation was more of drafts in the winter. Right on the roosts, and right behind the nest boxes. You can’t really put the roosts down, they would be basically on the floor. If you closed those up for winter there wouldn’t be anywhere close to enough ventilation. I did take pictures of this one. But it went into a bidding war and finally sold for $600. I wouldn’t have spent that knowing all the things I would have to replace. When I first went to look at it the roost bars where there, when I went back to take pictures of it, they were down…
Oh that is cute. I would have gladly paid six and done the tweeking it needed. At the $ coops are going for now days it is a great start. I wish we had auctions and swapmeets here. Nothing but tourist trinkets and picked through ReStore. I've seen some cute pricey builds on craigslist but nothing that makes my capable toes wiggle.

Have my fingers crossed. :fl :barnie:rantFighting moles today. Got some of those light up smoke bombs you stick down the run. Additionally, ran my blow dryer to force the smoke down into all the tunnels. Had smoke coming up through the grass and other places. Kept the flock locked up until the air cleared. They were not happy for that time, but later got to play in all the fallen leaves.
Goodluck with the moles and if and when you rid yourself of them share what worked. My stepson in SF has been trying to rid himself of moles in his small patch of cherished lawn. It is almost cartoonist the stuff he has tried (and failed at) and how nothing seems to work and also how obsessed he can get about it. He does love a challenge lol, great kid ♡.

Oh that is cute. I would have gladly paid six and done the tweeking it needed. At the $ coops are going for now days it is a great start. I wish we had auctions and swapmeets here. Nothing but tourist trinkets and picked through ReStore. I've seen some cute pricey builds on craigslist but nothing that makes my capable toes wiggle.
It is cute but I just couldn’t see paying $600 for it. It is actually still setting there and it has been 3 months. I don’t know that the person who won the bid ended up actually getting it. There may have been a reserve or they actually looked at it and didn’t want it. Im blessed to have auctions. I never went to them until I went once with my mom and step dad. Then I was hooked.

Ugh you guys…I gotta find a way to get rid of the RATS!! I found a whole corner of my big coop door chewed off today so they can get inside the coop! Little jerks!

View attachment 3335660

View attachment 3335662
What kind of traps have you used?

I tried sending some links but they went all sideways. Anywho, I'd try the electric since you have a few rats and it's reusable.

Last edited:
It is cute but I just couldn’t see paying $600 for it. It is actually still setting there and it has been 3 months. I don’t know that the person who won the bid ended up actually getting it. There may have been a reserve or they actually looked at it and didn’t want it. Im blessed to have auctions. I never went to them until I went once with my mom and step dad. Then I was hooked.
I went to a livestock auction in Colorado. Also saw the regular auctions from far. I can see it being a very exhilarating and addictive adventure. I loved the big swapmeets too. The coolest stuff.

I hope to go to a few when I visit the mainland. The and antique shops.

Back
Top Bottom