What did you do with your flock today?

Haha my husband is definitely a saint for putting up with me and all my chickens 😆 Asha is still alive but not well. She seems like she can’t make sounds anymore and is having troubles breathing. I will give her a couple days on Tetracyline before I decide to do something more permanent. :-( I don’t want to prolong her misery because I can’t let go.

We went to see the Hearst Castle today and then went to the beach. The Ranch as Hearst called it…is INSANE. It is 100% worth seeing if you are ever in Central Coast California. Car smells like a chicken coop and the chickens would crow and people would look all around trying to figure out where the crowing was coming from 😆 Ruby dances around so much he kept triggering the car alarm too. We finally just left the car unlocked 😆

Anyway, thought I’d share some pics from The Ranch (250,000+ acres). The main home is 69,000+sq ft and has over 160 rooms. He had his own private zoo, and his home is now a legit museum—the house is made from art pieces from around the world and even has a ceiling that was made before Columbus discovered America that he bought in auction in the 20s from Spain I think? I have never seen anything like it in the US, only Europe. Real statues and Roman columns from Italy and France, tapestries that the Louvre has copies of in France cuz the originals are hung in the Castle. So amazing 😍

We also stopped at an elephant seal viewing area and watched the silly looking creatures for awhile. They remind me of my Frenchie, lots of rude noises and lazy! 😆

Also thanks to all of you (especially @ChicksnMore @Shetland lover and @PopoMyers) for the info about Tetracycline and Erythromycin ❤️ I did not know Tetra could go bad, so that will be filed away now! Thank you 😊
I’m so sorry about Asha!! I do hope that the medicine starts helping. Let’s of positive thoughts!

That is just so beautiful!! Absolutely breath taking! I haven’t heard of it, not I have only been to California once and that was to the Chico/Paradise area. I wanted to go to the beach but never made it. We were visiting his mom and friends. He lived there before meeting me.

Awe! Hopefully yours don't EAT your tree like mine are and give it back to me in nasty ways LOL!
I have never understood our cats fascination with fake flowers and trees!!!
Yep, they like a nibble here and there....and of course, making their people play fetch with ornaments! 🤣
Added pine straw and leaves to their hoop coop. Seems wasn't but a minute before it was all patted down by the Bubble Bunch.

Anywho, looka my Flippy, the roo frizzle cockarel; ain't he cute as can be? One day I will get a reallll good photo of my chickens . . . one day. But for real, he is cute!
He's fluffier then a feather duster! ❤️
Junglefowl
View attachment 3341098
Actually, can see the feral cockerel behind the buff toward the saw horse.
I love your monkey chickens! The only big chickens I've ever had that would climb the trees were some fayoumi's years ago. ❤️❤️
Haha my husband is definitely a saint for putting up with me and all my chickens 😆 Asha is still alive but not well. She seems like she can’t make sounds anymore and is having troubles breathing. I will give her a couple days on Tetracyline before I decide to do something more permanent. :-( I don’t want to prolong her misery because I can’t let go.

We went to see the Hearst Castle today and then went to the beach. The Ranch as Hearst called it…is INSANE. It is 100% worth seeing if you are ever in Central Coast California. Car smells like a chicken coop and the chickens would crow and people would look all around trying to figure out where the crowing was coming from 😆 Ruby dances around so much he kept triggering the car alarm too. We finally just left the car unlocked 😆

Anyway, thought I’d share some pics from The Ranch (250,000+ acres). The main home is 69,000+sq ft and has over 160 rooms. He had his own private zoo, and his home is now a legit museum—the house is made from art pieces from around the world and even has a ceiling that was made before Columbus discovered America that he bought in auction in the 20s from Spain I think? I have never seen anything like it in the US, only Europe. Real statues and Roman columns from Italy and France, tapestries that the Louvre has copies of in France cuz the originals are hung in the Castle. So amazing 😍

We also stopped at an elephant seal viewing area and watched the silly looking creatures for awhile. They remind me of my Frenchie, lots of rude noises and lazy! 😆

Also thanks to all of you (especially @ChicksnMore @Shetland lover and @PopoMyers) for the info about Tetracycline and Erythromycin ❤️ I did not know Tetra could go bad, so that will be filed away now! Thank you 😊
That place looks amazing! It sounds like quite the adventure you guys are having! Your crowing car and Ruby's dances setting off alarms has me in stitches 🤣
Well, found a cracked water pipe today, probably from the freezing temps. It had thawed and was spraying water. I heard water running hard through a pipe when I returned home from church, and had to investigate. Turned off valve that feeds the 8 spigots along my garden, one of which was for the chooks auto water supply. Told DH he could wait until Spring to fix it. I'll just check and refill their bucket. They always seem to rather drink mud water or poop tea. Why??????
Sorry about your pipes.
Amazing tastes our feathered friends have eh 🤣

I've spent the last 3 hours sitting on my couch, sipping coffee and doing absolutely nothing. I feel positively decadent!
It's been raining all weekend. That beautiful drizzling rain that soaks in and really does some good. When I popped out to check on my chickens yesterday the yokos were little mud puppies because they'd rather run all over in the rain then stay in their coop or covered run. Their long white tail feathers looked like they were made of melted chocolate.😂
So think today I'll go hang out with them for a bit and see if anyone got too chilled. We only got down into the 50's with all the clouds...so not exactly cold really. Still, they're used to temps over a hundred and the wet adds on.

I've spent the last 3 hours sitting on my couch, sipping coffee and doing absolutely nothing. I feel positively decadent!
It's been raining all weekend. That beautiful drizzling rain that soaks in and really does some good. When I popped out to check on my chickens yesterday the yokos were little mud puppies because they'd rather run all over in the rain then stay in their coop or covered run. Their long white tail feathers looked like they were made of melted chocolate.😂
So think today I'll go hang out with them for a bit and see if anyone got too chilled. We only got down into the 50's with all the clouds...so not exactly cold really. Still, they're used to temps over a hundred and the wet adds on.
You paint a wonderful picture ♡

Well, found a cracked water pipe today, probably from the freezing temps. It had thawed and was spraying water. I heard water running hard through a pipe when I returned home from church, and had to investigate. Turned off valve that feeds the 8 spigots along my garden, one of which was for the chooks auto water supply. Told DH he could wait until Spring to fix it. I'll just check and refill their bucket. They always seem to rather drink mud water or poop tea. Why??????
Love that you had an isolated shut off valve. Love when life hands you softballs.

Last edited:

We drove by there once as a kid, did not stop. Now I am a little sad my folks did not take the time. Sure we would have been an uncivilized bunch.
🤔 A few photos look familiar, like movies were filmed there... can't remember which but think a few...? I'll have to scratch my head for a bit... or Google 🙄
Very nice photos @kurby22 thanks for taking us along on your adventure. 😁😁😁 such a good mom! LOVE the boy setting off the car alarm. You will be laughing about that in the many years to come. Classic story 😂🐓

Last edited:
🌴Aloha kakahiaka!
20221130_144613.jpg

Well, we did not get the rain that was hoped for and predicted- yet🤞- The valleys were pretty socked in yestereve and we have a Kona low forming to our W-NW so I remain hopeful. Kona lows are always fun IMO.
Bags, bags and more bags in my future with a little holiday deco inbetween. Did a little gift ordering, need to do a little more. Lights on both houses ✔ . Need to move a tree out front and string some lights. A slow holiday roll. Feels a bit better than a few years back. We have had so much going on the last ... 5 years. The loss of 3 parents. 1 in Oct 31, mine both in December. So been a little hard to get the hitch out of the giddy up.
Chickens help..
Forgot to collect eggs the day b4 so was greeted with 2.5 full nest boxes yestereve.
20221204_145950.jpg
20221204_145952.jpg

Nice to be greeted with that as it never gets old for me.
Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful day.

Well I just sent two lil girls off to their new home! I'm glad it worked out well and hope they have an enjoyable integration with the new lil flock! This was my paint Satin and splash Silkie girlees.
I need to rehome MORE but I made a first step! I'm a fraction less illegal now...that count?!? :confused:
@ChicksnMore you do paint an amazing picture! Sounds like you are feeling some better too!!!
@TropicalBabies that is a lot of eggs!!! Whew! Hopefully some of this rain we couldn't have bought if we wanted to the past few months will head your way for a while...we are water logged here in the run and you know it makes it difficult on feathered feet babies!

🍷here's to one more step closer, i hope, to my mille fleur and porcelain goals!!!

🌴Aloha kakahiaka!
View attachment 3341446
Well, we did not get the rain that was hoped for and predicted- yet🤞- The valleys were pretty socked in yestereve and we have a Kona low forming to our W-NW so I remain hopeful. Kona lows are always fun IMO.
Bags, bags and more bags in my future with a little holiday deco inbetween. Did a little gift ordering, need to do a little more. Lights on both houses ✔ . Need to move a tree out front and string some lights. A slow holiday roll. Feels a bit better than a few years back. We have had so much going on the last ... 5 years. The loss of 3 parents. 1 in Oct 31, mine both in December. So been a little hard to get the hitch out of the giddy up.
Chickens help..
Forgot to collect eggs the day b4 so was greeted with 2.5 full nest boxes yestereve.View attachment 3341464View attachment 3341465
Nice to be greeted with that as it never gets old for me.
Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful day.
Loving seeing your chickens!!! They are just so pretty. I can’t wait to get eggs like this! I have 8 layers but getting about 5-6 a day. Once all 17 are laying watch out 😂.

I understand how the holidays can be hard. Seems like my family likes to pass away in January. My birthday month. But I have a friend who left me in December. That is a really long story that I might pm about. But it gets rough for me. Sending my thoughts out to you! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom