What did you do with your flock today?

Good morning!
Good for you @Hip Hillbilly Farm ! More room is awesome. Sounds like your babies are getting big 😁

Congratulations on the new pair @kurby22 . They are very beautiful 😍

Has anyone seen Chicken People on Prime? My daughter told me about it and I had to search for it but definitely though it worth the watch 👍👍. Good clean watch for chicken people.

@Gammas Bearded Babies nice job on the layers. Sorry about the monster broodies 😂 @gbb & @fbm.
I had to go look up Chicken People...I really enjoyed that. Made me laugh at the end when he said if he ever gets where all he hatches are perfect birds, he'll probably move on to a different breed. Hubby asked me the other day when I'll stop hatching chickens (I've gone nuts with the dwarf chickens) and that's the exact answer I gave him.... 😂
I've never read the standard of perfection for any of the breeds I have...I breed for the traits I like best. Might be why I've gone nuts over the dwarfs. No standards so I feel free to breed to my ideal and its a pleasure. I spend so much time just watching them and deciding what I like and don't like, who to breed to who to increase a trait, what traits I want to remove etc. It's definitely becoming an obsession 🫣😍
Bet hubby misses when we just kept one flock for eggs and the pleasure of chickens...lol.

Jazzy says hi...who wants to play?
Resized_20211105_170921.jpg

Oh she is so cute!!! At first I thought maybe mine was an Ameraucana but she didn’t finish coloring out. But she has the beard and muff and even the leg color for it. But that’s ok, I love her anyway.

I don’t think my grandpa was covering for her. He was really sick. He had black lung, testicular cancer, and of course his age. My grandpa would be 109 this year. He lived a great life and died in such a horrible way. Wish I could have kept him around longer. But I named my 2 year old after him, well part of his name. And yes, dementia is cruel. 😭
Alice was a shy chicken but very affectionate once she was familiar with you. She was totally unlike Gladys in that she was good with being picked up and liked a cuddle. I think big crested breeds are stand-offish as a rule simply because their vision is obscured.

Your girl is beautiful whatever breed she is!

I'm so sorry your grandpa had to go through all that. It's soul-destroying when someone you love is in so much pain :hugs

Lizzie used the nesting boxes this morning!!! I literally had to do a double take! Never seen her even in them much less use em to lay her egg! Then she hopped out n sang her song!
Go Lizzie!!!
Daisy is broody...I've moved her grumpy booty again and again but she ain't budging. So I sat her on the roost bar! Her being a Satin she never roosts...so we'll see of she hops down n goes back to her spot in the coop or not!

To ferment fee with sourdough discard or not....this is something I ran across and wanted yalls input! Have ya ever done this? I've read few articles bout it...what yall think?
https://www.pantrymama.com/how-to-feed-sourdough-discard-to-chickens/
That's how we ended up with Stanley - Pru will not be moved when she goes broody, dynamite wouldn't shift her! So after 7 ( yes, 7!) weeks of being broody and hiding the egg somewhere for the last 3 (sneaky little madam), I decided enough was enough, went in to lock her in a broody cage and there was little Stan. A happy accident 😍

Attachments

• 20220905_072255.jpg
    20220905_072255.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 2
I breed for the traits I like best. Might be why I've gone nuts over the dwarfs. No standards so I feel free to breed to my ideal and its a pleasure. I spend so much time just watching them and deciding what I like and don't like, who to breed to who to increase a trait, what traits I want to remove etc. It's definitely becoming an obsession 🫣😍
This is me too!!!
The only problem with this is do you find people that want your extras or are you stuck with em all?!

I've been up to my eyeballs in bags, outside x-mas decorating & basic chores.

We still have this Kona low bringing us deliciously blustery and cloudy weather. A little cool, a little rain after a few good down pours. Nice to have a change. I did not make it up to Koke'e to drop stand & bags as gal wanted things dropped at her place down the road from me. Chicken run needs some fresh mulch and I was hoping to grab a bunch when I went up the mountain to drop stand. Guess it is best I wait till after the winds dies a little but gotta be soon forsure. I catch a whiff every now and then that reminds me, soon.

I have been locking up birds in run and garden between 10-3. It has been working out well. Egg production is in the 11-14 per day except this weather has given them a few surprisingly lower days of 8.

My little home has become so much smaller with projects and now we have x-mas boxes to fill and ship. That and 5 cats weaving in and out of my legs everytime I go from point A to B it is a little comical. They aldo like to sleep ontop of my projects and remind me why I need to be so diligent with what I am doing. So much love. View attachment 3344283
Ya know, I have seen no evidence of mice or rats in the run or garden for a year now.... 😸 not even at AJs. Pretty cool!

Well, today I am off early to go pick up bags from goat farmers and horse people along with a few friends with unusual bags who are happy to help. Taking along a few dozen eggs (4 horse and goat people) and a few finished bags to say thanks.

Really glad the flock is doing so well so I am not worried when leaving. Makes a huge difference in a person's day.
🌺Hope everyone's day is is terrific!
😁🤙
Gorgeous kitty! Mine insist on 'helping' with my projects. Of course Elliot took it too far when he ate 35 yards of sewing thread and had to have his bowel re-sectioned in three places... but the less said about that the better!

Sorry, forgot for a bit @FrankieDoodle View attachment 3338752

Those are gorgeous! The details are incredible. 😍

Thanks! No, unfortunately no one I talked to knew what was up with her. : ( but she’s still going strong, she likes to follow me around when I'm outside. She can’t successfully peck the others, but she can make herself scary enough so they leave her alone. She’s such a little weirdo, lol. <3

Thanks for the suggestion @Popo & @Shetland ! I’ll look into that, see if I have it on hand. I know you said twice a day, but is there a specific amount/limit? Some of those topical meds only let you use a pea-sized amount per day so I want to make sure I don’t overdose her if I find some.

He’s so handsome! I love his feathers! Is he a speckled Sussex?

She’s so beautiful! She looks so soft! 😍
I was only putting a pea-sized amount on Clara but she is only the size of your average racing pigeon - in fact probably not even that big 🤣
I'd say probably just enough for a thin layer on the affected areas would be O.K. If it's going to have any effect, I'd expect it to show improvement within a week.

Gorgeous kitty! Mine insist on 'helping' with my projects. Of course Elliot took it too far when he ate 35 yards of sewing thread and had to have his bowel re-sectioned in three places... but the less said about that the better!
That sounds like a nightmare. So sorry about that ☹ and hope Elliot made it through 100%...? 😬🤞

Forest seems an under performer on the looks department to me- the cat only his mother could love ♡♡♡ - but I seem to attract and fall in love with tabby kitties, mostly for their hunting prowess and personalities. I don't find them to be particularly gorgeous untill I stare at them for a long while and then noticed their unique spots, stripes, zig zags and circle patterns. For some reason they seem to find and like me though.
I have only had brown tabby's for as far back as I can remember until Bat (tuxedo) and Mochi (grey tabby). I am even surprised that all people don't have and collect brown tabby's like me 🤷‍♀️🙄😺😽💕

I wish I took more photos, though it is more of a video thing to do justice. Absolutely gorgeous. Nice to get out of my hood.
20221208_125824.jpg

Good haul, probably close to 80-90 bags... 5 stops but I missed #6, the horse place. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ so embarrased.
20221208_125700.jpg

Gotta get to work... I'll will be back in a few...

Chooks did great, only missed me for snacks. Only 8 eggs. It is still blustery but the sun is out so I am sure to have a big egg haul today.
Got the last boxes mailed out, including a few coconuts. Now only grab bags for friends and neighbors.
20221209_073852~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom