What did you do with your flock today?

hfo.png
PHKI_loop.gif
GOES18-HI-13-600x600.gif

Kauai is at the tail end of getting blasted. 1-3" per hour plus hella lightning. Good fun! ♡♡♡♡ house is rattling ⚡⚡⚡⚡
Chooks have not left their roosts lol. This was yesterday so we have the promise
20230203_075519.jpg
20230203_075524.jpg

Poop does not look healthy and you have another potential clue with the soft shelled egg. That can make them feel kind of bad. Do you have people calcium or tums on hand? I'd def give her a good dose of it. Can grind and sprinkle the tums or shove 1/2 pill down her throat. I personally sprinkle ground people calcium on a favorite food. If that does not work I syringe feed it in. Im a mean mom lol.
It would not hurt her to get on a broad spectrum antibiotic but you may get by with a warm Epsom salt bath soak (20 minutes and def cover her butt. Then house time in a warm comfortable spot with a place to lay. The calcium stimulates her and inspires her to expel what she needs to. While bathing you can massage her under belly and check her vent. Finger 2" up there to see if you can feel anything. Lube your finger with coco oil or KY type stuff.
With the clue of the soft shelled egg I would head that direction. I don't see any green or funky colors in her poop so does not scream infection but not sure how accurate color visuals are.
OMGeeze I'm so afraid I'm gonna lose her yall!
I'm such a panicky hover mom!
Ok ...before I put the hair tie in she had her head down completely along with her body and breathing open beak...every now and then doin her beak together like her mouth is dry I guess...her tail is only thing up.
I put hair tie in and she perked for few minutes n I got this of her nares.
But now she's back down with head on the floor almost and tail up in air.

OMGeeze I'm so afraid I'm gonna lose her yall!
I'm such a panicky hover mom!
Ok ...before I put the hair tie in she had her head down completely along with her body and breathing open beak...every now and then doin her beak together like her mouth is dry I guess...her tail is only thing up.
I put hair tie in and she perked for few minutes n I got this of her nares.
But now she's back down with head on the floor almost and tail up in air.
Did you give her calcium?
Do you have a broad spectrum antibiotic on hand?
Her nares look clear and eyes bright and clear but yeah, something potentially serious is up so you need to get into action asap. Chickens have a short clock. So get some calcium down her and massage her under belly
*** is she eating on her own? How is her appetite?

Did you give her calcium?
Do you have a broad spectrum antibiotic on hand?
Her nares look clear and eyes bright and clear but yeah, something potentially serious is up so you need to get into action asap. Chickens have a short clock. So get some calcium down her and massage her under belly
*** is she eating on her own? How is her appetite?
I don't have any calcium or tums on hand...just peptos chewable.
U didn't think the end of the video that yellow stuff hard is dried up feed on her nare?
I've got her soaking in warm epson water and a towel in dryer for when we get done. Then I'll go get her some tums..
What kinda calcium is best? Or just tums?
And I have no idea bout antibiotics?
Human ones?
This shows what she is doin with her beak.

Btw I’m sorry you almost lost them. How are they doing now? I’m just having a moment to look through some of the posts and kind of catch up.
They seem to have recovered! I added Hydro Hen to their water just in case, so that hopefully helps! I also learned that Hydro Hen adds an acidifier to their mix—so I was happy for that. After this last round of thrush I am going to be more diligent in my acidification. However, I am also trying to get this dumb coop done so they can be in a coop with a working door! 🤪

I don't have any calcium or tums on hand...just peptos chewable.
U didn't think the end of the video that yellow stuff hard is dried up feed on her nare?
I've got her soaking in warm epson water and a towel in dryer for when we get done. Then I'll go get her some tums..
What kinda calcium is best? Or just tums?
And I have no idea bout antibiotics?
Human ones?
This shows what she is doin with her beak.
If you can’t find antibiotics for chickens at a feed store/Tractor Supply, you can try for Tetracycline or Amoxicillin at a pet store in the fish section. Or order it from Amazon to arrive as fast as possible. I used Fishmox with great success. Poor girl!

Had to move a broody inside and all my chickens because the feel temperature (i swear it feels worse) was -30 Degrees.

So windy, we got a power outage so heater turned off. All the water in the coop froze including the ramen i gave them.

The broody is in my room on her four eggs. I hope she doesn’t leave the nest!

Hi everyone. Lots to catch up on, had a few days away for my birthday. Just wanted to send positive thoughts and prayers for Gammas Bearded Babies and Lizzie. Good advice from all. Just wondered if Lizzie is making any kind of wheezing or rumbling noise if you put your ear to her body, Gammas Bearded Babies? It looks like a respiratory infection to me and things like infectious bronchitis can cause soft shell eggs and a symptom is nasal discharge. IB is viral so there's no specific treatment and is highly contagious. It could be any number of respiratory infections though and antibiotic treatment is still recommended for viral infections as chickens are susceptible to secondary bacterial infection. Tylan and tetramycin are great broad action antibiotics as ChicknMore, Kurby22 and Tropical Babies already mentioned. Doxycycline is also good. Fish antibiotics can be used if that's all you can get. I'd start her on some asap. I'd continue with treatment for egg binding as Tropical Babies advises too. If she's laying soft shells, you want her to expel them as easily as possible. Last thing you want is for them to break inside her.
Vet RX won't directly cure her but it will help her breathing and make her more comfortable. When Pru had her respiratory infection a few weeks ago, I put a bit under each wing, rubbed some round her nares and put some on her throat, just under her beak twice a day. You could also put her in a cat basket with a towel over to block any air vents, and basically give her an old-fashioned steam inhalation treatment. Bowl of hot water in front of the basket - also covered by the towel - with Vet RX in it. I have a nebulizer and it really helps them but the cat basket and towel method works just as well in a pinch. Just make sure she's well dried off under the heat lamp afterwards!
Keep up with the poultry cell and plenty of fluids.
Fingers crossed and lots of hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom