What did you do with your flock today?

Hi everyone. Lots to catch up on, had a few days away for my birthday. Just wanted to send positive thoughts and prayers for Gammas Bearded Babies and Lizzie. Good advice from all. Just wondered if Lizzie is making any kind of wheezing or rumbling noise if you put your ear to her body, Gammas Bearded Babies? It looks like a respiratory infection to me and things like infectious bronchitis can cause soft shell eggs and a symptom is nasal discharge. IB is viral so there's no specific treatment and is highly contagious. It could be any number of respiratory infections though and antibiotic treatment is still recommended for viral infections as chickens are susceptible to secondary bacterial infection. Tylan and tetramycin are great broad action antibiotics as ChicknMore, Kurby22 and Tropical Babies already mentioned. Doxycycline is also good. Fish antibiotics can be used if that's all you can get. I'd start her on some asap. I'd continue with treatment for egg binding as Tropical Babies advises too. If she's laying soft shells, you want her to expel them as easily as possible. Last thing you want is for them to break inside her.
Vet RX won't directly cure her but it will help her breathing and make her more comfortable. When Pru had her respiratory infection a few weeks ago, I put a bit under each wing, rubbed some round her nares and put some on her throat, just under her beak twice a day. You could also put her in a cat basket with a towel over to block any air vents, and basically give her an old-fashioned steam inhalation treatment. Bowl of hot water in front of the basket - also covered by the towel - with Vet RX in it. I have a nebulizer and it really helps them but the cat basket and towel method works just as well in a pinch. Just make sure she's well dried off under the heat lamp afterwards!
Keep up with the poultry cell and plenty of fluids.
Fingers crossed and lots of hugs :hugs
Yippee! @Shetland to the rescue with her beautiful words and advice ♡ so clear and decisive love it. Thank you!

Hay, happy belated birthday! Did you have fun?! 🦈🦈🦈🦈

Yay! You are back @Shetland lover! Happy birthday! And how was the shark adventure?? Pics?? 🦈🦈

I have done some work on my scrap coop! Got the wallpaper up and am doing a bunch of painting!

DADA1625-C973-483A-BFB6-71FF5A47980B.jpeg

Snug's white feathers are coming in! Hard to see because he's so pale though 🤣 , but there's pure white mottling starting on his shoulders and back now.
20230204_221453.jpg
20230204_221846.jpg

Bugs feathers are coming in looking very much like a normal dwarf and definitely not black and white.
20230204_222218.jpg

And Spots is also coming in very normal looking.
20230204_222315.jpg

Spot also has faint eyebrows now 🤣
20230204_222340.jpg

Here's the normal colored pale chick.
20230204_222250.jpg

And last is Magic. She's one of the peababies I posted over the summer. She's growing up nicely. Realized I haven't shared a pic of her in a long time.
20230204_172535.jpg
20230204_172536.jpg

Oh! Thank you all! I had a lovely birthday. Not my shark adventure though, that's not until next year.
We reunited our pigeon friend with her keeper. They were overjoyed to see each other, made my heart melt ❤️
I thought we were going to stay overnight in a bnb but DH had arranged a week away in a Landmark Trust property. They save historic buildings from ruin then let them out for holidays. We've stayed in several over the years and they're always a joy to stay in. DH chose Poultry Cottage for us this time. Check out the PDF, they kept their chickens in style in those days! At the end of the PDF, there's a photo of the poultry house at Welbeck Abbey. I grew up pretty much on that estate and I had no idea what that was!

Kurby22, the scrap coop is looking amazing, btw. Did you get the results of JoJo's necropsy?

ChicksnMore, those chicks are so pretty, got a few surprises in feather patterning coming there, methinks :D And Magic is just stunning! What variety of peafowl is she?

Tropical Babies, such kind words. Not sure I'm deserving but thank you!

Gammas Bearded Babies, how's Lizzie today?

I found a couple of old pictures of the sand tiger I dived with. Here she is in all her toothy glory...

Attachments

• Poultry Cottage History Album.pdf
    12.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20140205_121051.jpg
    20140205_121051.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20140205_121242.jpg
    20140205_121242.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 0
Oh! Thank you all! I had a lovely birthday. Not my shark adventure though, that's not until next year.
We reunited our pigeon friend with her keeper. They were overjoyed to see each other, made my heart melt ❤️
I thought we were going to stay overnight in a bnb but DH had arranged a week away in a Landmark Trust property. They save historic buildings from ruin then let them out for holidays. We've stayed in several over the years and they're always a joy to stay in. DH chose Poultry Cottage for us this time. Check out the PDF, they kept their chickens in style in those days! At the end of the PDF, there's a photo of the poultry house at Welbeck Abbey. I grew up pretty much on that estate and I had no idea what that was!

Kurby22, the scrap coop is looking amazing, btw. Did you get the results of JoJo's necropsy?

ChicksnMore, those chicks are so pretty, got a few surprises in feather patterning coming there, methinks :D And Magic is just stunning! What variety of peafowl is she?

Tropical Babies, such kind words. Not sure I'm deserving but thank you!

Gammas Bearded Babies, how's Lizzie today?

I found a couple of old pictures of the sand tiger I dived with. Here she is in all her toothy glory...
I bet that was a welcomed reunion to see!!!

Lizzy is a little better thank God! And yall for all your advice and help!!!
She actually ate some mash with the crushed calcium I got and the tylan50 I was able to get (last bottle in town). And God put 2 men chicken lovers in my path at both places I went to and they were so understanding and helpful! Helped me have renewed faith once we finally got home! It took so long I just knee she'd be gone by time we got back.
But she wasn't!
This morning she ate a little bit of scrambled eggs! Sure hoping she continues to improve!!! And her poo was back to normal! Strange hun?
I've got a few that have runny kinda poos then normal and they are acting fine.
Could it be the fermented feed I'm doin?
I don't let it ferment that long...usually 24 hours or so then use little from that each day to make the next days.
I'm gonna keep her in again today and tonight to monitor and make sure she's eating, drinking and acting normally.
Thankfully our weather is supposed to be warmee today...if it hits 60s n sunny I may let her out with others for free time. Then bring her back in.
I'm just unsure what's really going on with her.
All of mine are newer layers since October and November. I'm puzzled by the shell-less eggs and her not layin...but then the d'uccles stopped layin for another and have started back so :confused:

Back
Top Bottom