What did you do with your flock today?

Yall...I've searched on here but can't find it
So Lizzy's crop is not full just now at 6:30pm... not even as full as it was last night.
What does that mean? I know she's eating.
And 'm not sure if more is going on wirh others or not. Stormie was making a coughing sound ever few seconds and breathing with beak open this morning. But I had to go get my grandson so wasn't able to keep watching her for long.
Then I noticed yesterday Joey was enjoying a good dust bath and when he got up to get out he could barely walk! His legs looked all weak and almost like he was gonna fall with each step...he shook a few times and then finally got back to normal.
Then Daisy did similar but nothing as bad as what Joey did.
I've heard a few more sneezing off and on but nothing as constant as Stormie's coughing this morning. Then she seemed fine the rest of the day?
I'm so confused.

@kurby22 you have some gorgeous babies and you are doing well with them all! I pray they continue to do as well as they are. Idk how you do it but you are!!!

@TropicalBabies congratulations on the funds for more felines!!! I didn't realize you closed your flock. But after this week I've had I can definitely understand! Much more to the story but I'll save that for another time.

@ChicksnMore hang in there...glad yall weren't in an accident!

Last edited:
So Lizzy's crop is not full just now at 6:30pm... not even as full as it was last night.
And 'm not sure if more is going on wirh others or not. Stormie was making a coughing sound ever few seconds and breathing with beak open this morning. But I had to go get my grandson so wasn't able to keep watching her for long.
Then I noticed yesterday Joey was enjoying a good dust bath and when he got up to get out he could barely walk! His legs looked all weak and almost like he was gonna fall with each step...he shook a few times and then finally got back to normal.
I've heard a few more sneezing off and on but nothing as constant as Stormie's coughing this morning. Then she seemed fine the rest of the day?
I'm so confused.

@kurby22 you have some gorgeous babies and you are doing well with them all! I pray they continue to do as well as they are. Idk how you do it but you are!!!

@TropicalBabies congratulations on the funds for more felines!!! I didn't realize you closed your flock. But after this week I've had I can definitely understand! Much more to the story but I'll save that for another time.

It is really good you are checking. How is she behaving? Can you give us good clear photos of her and tell us of any behavior that you find out of the ordinary, social & physical. Have you been able to locate a broad spectrum antibiotic? Is she or are they on it? And has Lizzy laid an egg yet?
With all of the open mouth breathing and coughing def sounds like it is into the world of respiratory. The wobbling... ? Not sure if it is weakness or just unsteady, it happens. Keep an eye on it.
Well, first things first. Get them over their colds and take a poop sample into the vets and check for worms.

I'm so confused.

Birds are great at hiding sickness. It could be your whole flock has something making the rounds. I'm confident when I'm looking at birds in person, but not so much when reading symptoms...but if it was me I think I'd dose the whole coop at this point. I'm still thinking it sounds like some kind of upper respiratory at this point, and an awful lot of those can be treated away.
I'm sorry your rough winter brought illness with it. Hoping it all works out ok for your babies. :hugs

It is really good you are checking. How is she behaving? Can you give us good clear photos of her and tell us of any behavior that you find out of the ordinary, social & physical. Have you been able to locate a broad spectrum antibiotic? Is she or are they on it? And has Lizzy laid an egg yet?
With all of the open mouth breathing and coughing def sounds like it is into the world of respiratory. The wobbling... ? Not sure if it is weakness or just unsteady, it happens. Keep an eye on it.
Well, first things first. Get them over their colds and take a poop sample into the vets and check for worms.
That's the bizarre thing...Lizzy acts normal during the day (still no egg but shes a new layer and a bantam Satin) ... but i noticed last night she went and sat on their porch by herself before it was bedtime and her breathing wasnt as bad as it was aunday but i felt like she was headed back that way...and everyone else was eating. So i brought her back in for the night and gave her day 2 of Tylan50...at 25ml per lb...she weighed 2.2 lbs Sunday. She had a crop...not full like most others but nothing as empty as it was tonight. I thought since her poo was back to normal and she was acting find during day it was freak hypothermia or ddehydration. Shes had 3 days of tylan50 now.
But when I heard Stormie this morning I got concerned. But then she acted fine all day long and no more coughing that I heard or beak breathing.
Then I remembered Joey and how pitiful he looked getting out of dust bath and I got really concerned for ole bootyhead. He is molting and has like only 6 tail feathers at the moment.
Idk if I'm being panicky after reading so many peoples chickens getting sick and dieing (which my family thinks I'm ridiculous at how I treat them all anyway). But then I know everyone says how fast they can go down and I'm just really concerned.

@ChicksnMore what would you dose the whole flock with? We have had high 60s n partly sunny! last few days with 50s at night then rain expected tomorrow.

I'm really wondering if it is possible they aren't actually eating the pellets unless they are in mash form. At bedtime I have a small container of feed in the coop and they prefer to eat from my hand...I've noticed they peck at it...then it falls out a lot.
Lizzy isn't eating any pellets at all...only mash from my hand. She ate a few bites of scrambled eggs yesterday n pecked at a few boiled eggs this morning. She pecked everything in the yard...but I wonder how much is she eating? Why would her crop be empty?

Last edited:
That's the bizarre thing...Lizzy acts normal during the day ... but i noticed last night she went and sat on their porch by herself before it was bedtime and her breathing wasnt as bad as it was aunday but i felt like she was headed back that way...and everyone else was eating. So i brought her back in for the night and gave her day 2 of Tylan50...at 25ml per lb...she weighed 2.2 lbs Sunday. She had a crop...not full like most others but nothing as empty as it was tonight. I thought since her poo was back to normal and she was acting find during day it was freak hypothermia or ddehydration. Shes had 3 days of tylan50 now.
But when I heard Stormie this morning I got concerned. But then she acted fine all day long and no more coughing that I heard or beak breathing.
Then I remembered Joey and how pitiful he looked getting out of dust bath and I got really concerned for ole bootyhead. He is molting and has like only 6 tail feathers at the moment.
Idk if I'm being panicky after reading so many peoples chickens getting sick and dieing (which my family thinks I'm ridiculous at how I treat them all anyway). But then I know everyone says how fast they can go down and I'm just really concerned.

@ChicksnMore what would you dose the whole flock with? We have had high 60s n partly sunny! last few days with 50s at night then rain expected tomorrow.

I'm really wondering if it is possible they aren't actually eating the pellets unless they are in mash form. At bedtime I have a small container of feed in the coop and they prefer to eat from my hand...I've noticed they peck at it...then it falls out a lot.
Lizzy isn't eating any pellets at all...only mash from my hand. She ate a few bites of scrambled eggs yesterday n pecked at a few boiled eggs this morning. She pecked everything in the yard...but I wonder how much is she eating? Why would her crop be empty?
I'd dose the whole coop with tetracycline. That's my antibiotic of choice for upper respiratory. It's a broad spectrum used commercially for that. I don't know what's available in fish meds, but I think I'd head to the pet store and see if they carry that. I'm guessing it'd come in expensive by volume capsules, so I'd remove they're normal water bowl and give them a small bowl that you can replenish as needed so your not wasting meds....tetra has to be dumped and replaced every 24 hours. So the closer you come to 24 hours worth of water the better. If you get some and post the potency, I could figure out the correct dose for you.
Any that are sick enough to not be eating well I'd give a rich liquid diet with tetra mixed in and beak dipping to be sure they eat it. Or talk to @TropicalBabies about syringe feeding. Their appetite usually recovers quickly on tetra.

Last edited:
@Gammas Bearded Babies I might have to make a trip to tractor supply just to see what their medicine shelf carries. It's very frustrating right now to not be able to tell you something I know you can get. ☹️ Think someone said that tetracycline is available as a fish medicine though.
I tried to find that Sunday and unable to...but tractor supply did have the tylan50...I thought that was for upper respiratory too.

I tried to find that Sunday and unable to...but tractor supply did have the tylan50...I thought that was for upper respiratory too.
I learned what meds to use a long time ago and things have changed is all. Tylan I believe treats only gram positive bacteria...tetra treats both gram positive and gram negative, but it's harder to get now days...so Tylan is an alternative treatment. So if Tylan isn't working, then that probably means either your birds have a gram negative or a viral infection. I've never checked what to use as an alternative to tetra. I'll go read for a sec and see what I can find for gram negative.

Back
Top Bottom